Minimoog Model D back to production with addition

satya

3 hours ago, chris.r said:

Conclusion: These two are close with some subtle differences. At the end, he points out that the overdrive is not well implemented in either of these soft synth versions.

I had a play with the Cherry Audio version, and maybe the overdrive is a smidge better with that one?

In terms of 1974 dollars for an original Minimoog purchased in 1974, $5,000 in 2022 dollars is cheap by comparison. But in terms of software alternatives available in 2022, $5,000 in 2022 dollars could buy a nice audio PC to run the software!

Edited by User 905133
edit for the sake of clarity

I would love to have another real MiniMoog Model D.

Had one 20 years ago... but it was in bad need of service (sold it to a friend for $200).

Guess I was being naïve, but I was thinking the MiniMoog re-issue would be closer to $2500.

At that price, I would consider/deliberate getting one.

At $5k, the desire/appeal is a whole lot less.

I do think the real Mini has a little something extra.  It's almost like you can hear the electricity in the sound (hard to explain).

Haven't heard that in any other synth (hardware or software).

Before the Model D re-issue announcement, I picked up a Moog Matriarch.

Though it's not specifically meant as a MiniMoog clone, it can certainly get in that realm (and a whole lot more) for ~$2200.

The oscillators/filter sound really good.

The Behringer Poly D is an excellent clone.  (shouldn't have the word "Poly" in the name IMO)

It's an absolute blast to play.

Wish the Poly D had 49-keys... but there's not much else to criticize.

At ~$700 (less than that right now), Behringer hit a price-point that's "palatable" for an old-school mono synth.

For me, another nostalgic synth is the new Oberheim OB-X8.

Love many of those classic sounds that are on so many records.

Recently got the OB-X8... and it's well... expensive for what it is.

Yes, it has the Oberheim filter (sounds wonderful especially on lower notes)... but it's not super versatile.

If I had to choose, I think I'd take the Prophet 10 over the OB-X8.

Edited by Jim Roseberry

2 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

I do think the real Mini has a little something extra.  It's almost like you can hear the electricity in the sound (hard to explain). Haven't heard that in any other synth (hardware or software).

(...)

The Behringer Poly D is an excellent clone.  (shouldn't have the word "Poly" in the name IMO). It's an absolute blast to play.

Initially I thought you're talking about the infamous distortion feedback trick but then Poly D has it implemented too. Re Poly D, you're right it's paraphonic but it really gives the feel of being polyphonic and it's a such a huge change that's missing from the original.

35 minutes ago, abacab said:

"blessed with the fairy dust of good old analog hardware"

-Björn Arlt

I watched the live transmission to try pick up where the fairy dust goes in to the hardware but couldn't spot one... Doesn't mean there isn't any, could be they want keep hiding it :D 

42 minutes ago, abacab said:

I don't own them either. But all 3 are available as free demos! ;)

Haha.. I'm too lazy for that, didn't want to loose a sec here on forum!