Recommendation acoustic guitar rhythm maker

i've been using the Strum-GS from Applied Acoustics Systems AAS. the strum patterns are basically 2 or 4-bars of a MIDI file. so you can create your own.

note: these are the strum key switches. and typically there are 8 pattern files per grouping: "<name> ###-bpm [A-G].mid" these create the variations of the strums (up/down/muted/etc/picked notes). so multiple notes cause quick strum variations (e.g. up/down)

here's one strumming variations:

image.png.f26e59ff66d99574f502406de355e654.png

image.png.da359704db27507b9055d40175466128.png

here's a look at one doing arpeggio-like pattern of strums - or could be used to pick single notes:

strum-GS midi example - arp 100 G - CbB.jpg

strum-GS midi example - arp 100 G.jpg

Edited by Glenn Stanton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You may want to take a look at Renegade Acoustic Guitar from Indiginus. It's very reasonably priced ($69), but requires the full version of Kontakt. https://www.indiginus.com/renegade-acoustic-guitar

https://soundbytesmag.net/review-renegade-acoustic-guitar-from-indiginus/

• 32 generic strum patterns come built in that you can use as-is or modify, or you can create your own from scratch. You can link ten of these to ten keyswitches for on-the-fly pattern switching.
  • The strum sequencer can have up to sixteen steps. Each step specifies whether the chord should be an up- or down-stroke, muted or sustained, and each stroke’s velocity. It’s simple and intuitive.

Orange Tree Samples virtual guitars for Kontakt Player, such as Evolution Songwriter ($179) have a strum module that allows you to edit and save user strum patterns.

Ample Sound virtual guitars (non-Kontakt) such as Ample Guitar M ($169) feature the Strummer — a built-in sequencer that makes it possible for users to develop their own strum patterns.

As far as I know the virtual guitars from Native Instruments and UJAM just provide preset strum patterns.

• Like 2

i mainly use the stock ones.  i have a few custom ones i made because the strumming was too unique for a couple of songs i normally perform on a guitar (and i while i could simply play it, i'm currently in the mindset of teaching computers to play together 🙂 ) or i use a Kontakt based one if those AAS ones don't seem to do it. finally, i recently downloaded the (free) MONSTER Guitar vst but haven't played with it much yet. seems like it may also be something to use.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

i mainly use the stock ones.  i have a few custom ones i made because the strumming was too unique for a couple of songs i normally perform on a guitar (and i while i could simply play it, i'm currently in the mindset of teaching computers to play together 🙂 ) or i use a Kontakt based one if those AAS ones don't seem to do it. finally, i recently downloaded the (free) MONSTER Guitar vst but haven't played with it much yet. seems like it may also be something to use.

Metal GTX from Unreal Instruments also works well for me for prototyping hard rock riffs.

• Like 1

I'm very pleased with my Seagull - was about 800.00 for the one I picked up - very beautiful guitar in natural cherry. I also have an American Standard Strat.

Otherwise a Martin right?

But best advice is to go out and hold one and play one and see what you like - that is how I bought my Seagull - local music store. Hard though to ignore the online presence and options.

Edited by Michel

16 minutes ago, Michel said:

I'm very pleased with my Seagull - was about 800.00 for the one I picked up - very beautiful guitar in natural cherry. I also have an American Standard Strat.

Otherwise a Martin right?

But best advice is to go out and hold one and play one and see what you like - that is how I bought my Seagull - local music store. Hard though to ignore the online presence and options.

HI Thanks for the info, but I was looking for software solutions that you can define your own rhythm in.

On 10/10/2022 at 12:50 PM, Glenn Stanton said:

i've been using the Strum-GS from Applied Acoustics Systems AAS. the strum patterns are basically 2 or 4-bars of a MIDI file. so you can create your own.

note: these are the strum key switches. and typically there are 8 pattern files per grouping: "<name> ###-bpm [A-G].mid" these create the variations of the strums (up/down/muted/etc/picked notes). so multiple notes cause quick strum variations (e.g. up/down)

here's one strumming variations:

here's a look at one doing arpeggio-like pattern of strums - or could be used to pick single notes:

Thank you - I took a look at this and it seems great - I'm adding it to the list!

• Like 1

On 10/10/2022 at 3:39 PM, abacab said:

You may want to take a look at Renegade Acoustic Guitar from Indiginus. It's very reasonably priced ($69), but requires the full version of Kontakt. https://www.indiginus.com/renegade-acoustic-guitar

https://soundbytesmag.net/review-renegade-acoustic-guitar-from-indiginus/

• 32 generic strum patterns come built in that you can use as-is or modify, or you can create your own from scratch. You can link ten of these to ten keyswitches for on-the-fly pattern switching.
  • The strum sequencer can have up to sixteen steps. Each step specifies whether the chord should be an up- or down-stroke, muted or sustained, and each stroke’s velocity. It’s simple and intuitive.

Orange Tree Samples virtual guitars for Kontakt Player, such as Evolution Songwriter ($179) have a strum module that allows you to edit and save user strum patterns.

Ample Sound virtual guitars (non-Kontakt) such as Ample Guitar M ($169) feature the Strummer — a built-in sequencer that makes it possible for users to develop their own strum patterns.

As far as I know the virtual guitars from Native Instruments and UJAM just provide preset strum patterns.

Thank you for the info.  Guitar plugins sure have progressed since the last time I looked!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

Thanks Glenn - I have a couple of the Native Instrument ones, but they don't do what I need.  The AAS looks really good and also I saw something from MusicLab that looks promising.

3 hours ago, steve@baselines.com said:

Thanks Dave - I will give these a look.

You're welcome. Note that Unreal's guitar VIs don't have a strum engine

If you're interested in in AAS, and not in a hurry, AAS Strum Sessions goes on sale for $10-20 regularly, or even given away sometimes. Then you can upgrade to AAS Strum for $50 during sale.

I also want to share these links:

Looks intimidating at first, but I could achieve this level with a few weeks of modest practice. I don't use any strumming engine anymore.