Feature Request - About the Controller Lane Pane

sergedaigno

31 minutes ago, sergedaigno said:

I don't know if it's already implemented but it would be cool to have a global settings where we could add default controllers into that list instead of always adding again and again into projects and tracks.

What do you mean by "default controllers?"  I can think of several different things.  Are you talking about hardware controllers seen by your computer (and CbB)?  all the parameters exposed by a specific soft synth; by all soft synths in a project? all the CCs as defined by the MIDI Spec? something different?

Edited by User 905133
edited for the sake of precision

31 minutes ago, David Baay said:

I think he means show empty lanes for common/preferred controllers when they do not yet exist in the track/clip so you can just start drawing without having to add a lane of the desired type.

192578339_Screenshot2022-10-09125511.png.cda5e7075c58d2c5bfed0c2e4772e6d0.png

Yes, like having cc1 controller showing up by default on left side when the PRV is opened. With some libraries, many cc's may be involved in the making of a song.

• Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

You can do this.

Open up Preferences - MIDI - Instruments

Then click “Define”. 

In the “Define Instruments and Names” Window, in the right pane, click + to open “Controller Names”

In that list, you should see “Standard”.  Click + to open “Standard”

The names that are listed there are what will appear in the controller lane names for controllers.

These are global for those Hardware MIDI ports where there are no controller names defined in any loaded instrument definition file.

What would be handy is if you could define Controller names on a per VSTi basis. (I have feature requested this, but I am not holding my breath).

42 minutes ago, Promidi said:

You can do this.

Open up Preferences - MIDI - Instruments

Then click “Define”. 

In the “Define Instruments and Names” Window, in the right pane, click + to open “Controller Names”

In that list, you should see “Standard”.  Click + to open “Standard”

The names that are listed there are what will appear in the controller lane names for controllers.

These are global for those Hardware MIDI ports where there are no controller names defined in any loaded instrument definition file.

What would be handy is if you could define Controller names on a per VSTi basis. (I have feature requested this, but I am not holding my breath).

He is not talking about changing names. It's about seeing frequently used controls in the controller area as default so he will not reopen them everytime on every track.

You open the PRV  on track 1, you add some controllers on the left side, draw no events in the right pane, close the PRV and reopen it, everything is vanished.  If you have many tracks, it's not handy and time consuming. 

Screenshot 2022-10-10 091428.png      Screenshot 2022-10-10 091712.png

Edited by sergedaigno
  • Great Idea 1

5 hours ago, sergedaigno said:

You open the PRV  on track 1, you add some controllers on the left side, draw no events in the right pane, close the PRV and reopen it, everything is vanished.  If you have many tracks, it's not handy and time consuming.

That is a separate issue and should be started as a new thread.

(note: I think this is by design. For now,  If you want the lanes to remain, add some events.)

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Max Arwood said:

It is kind of a pain.  Every time you reopen the piano view, you get to close a bunch of empty controller lanes you are not using, so you can actually see the ones you want to work with.

I use single Controller view.  Under the PRV view menu, I always have “Show Multiple lanes” deselected.

In fact I resisted the change from CPA9 until this view option was added to Sonar Platinum. (and CbB)

Edited by Promidi
  • Like 1