Have a live show!

Lord Tim

Thought you guys may get a kick out of this... well, if you like what we do, you'll get your money's worth out of it, if not... I guess it'll be an hour of awful so probably avoid 😛 In 2016 we played the ProgPower USA festival in Atlanta, and we were given the option of having the show recorded and filmed, so that's just what we did. :)  We just made this free to watch after years of it being paid video on demand.

Tech drama galore on the day, so there were a few patch ups back here in the studio later, but otherwise, this was all mixed and produced in SONAR Platinum (and I wish I had some of the features CbB has now back then!) and then sync'd to the video which I edited in my NLE. My audio machine at the time was in desperate need of an upgrade and, in fact, the audio data drive started to corrupt the project after a while, so I had to redo a lot of the corrupted automation, which was just freakin' neato. 🤨 Another good reminder to do daily backups and to never assume your gear can't fail on you.

Anyway, lots of heavy metal type music, sweaty men running around a stage, silly gags, and... being both a heavy metal band and Australian, it goes without saying that there's an explicit language warning that goes along with this video! You've been warned! HAHA!

Enjoy! :)

Edited by Lord Tim
  • Like 11

Haha! Actually there was a full behind the scenes video that was originally bundled with this and ... Spoilers: we did indeed find good coffee, at the bottom of the Rockefeller building, hidden away in a corner (funnily enough, run by Australians).

I'm not sure how it happened but we ended up as a country with a bit of a coffee culture down here, where even a lot of fast food places have barista made coffee. It was weird being in a place where your main choices were Starbucks (or clones) or some godawful super hot brewed "coffee" that we did away with here decades ago.

We had some sensational food and drinks in the US but coffee... yeah, there's no place like home :P

... you know that's a good question! We usually record dry DI (even live) and process later but that had some pre-recorded stuff for the first part, which I believe was mostly Pod Farm 2 but then layered with some other VSTs once the live guitars were added over the top.  I think that was the Lecto sim going into some custom IRs. But since we were travelling light, we dragged along a couple of old Pod X3s so that would be mixed into the audience sound too. Complicated 😕 Haha!

(Sorry, vague answer - it's hard to believe this was 6 years ago now!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Glenn is a champion! Milton and Nathan are too (but don't tell Milton I said nice thing about him, that jerk! HAHA). It's seriously such a family atmosphere with the crew and the regulars. Apart front getting to play that year, seeing Blind Guardian live was definitely a highlight for me - one seriously slick live band!

• Like 1

✋ Guilty! Although The Legend of Huma and Netherlife were the only Dragonlance inspired songs we ever did, and they were 26 years and 21 years ago respectively (wow, it's nuts writing that!) so we're either past that topic, or long overdue to write the next one. Haha!

Funny story, actually - not long after I wrote Huma, I emailed Tracy Hickman and asked if this was a good idea to go ahead with certain character names from the Dragonlance universe. I was completely blown away when he actually replied and said he loves the idea but TSR wouldn't be too happy, so be warned. Well, it's been 26 years and no angry letters have arrived yet, so we might be OK! :P

• Like 1