FREE! Very nice Wurli electric piano library for the FREE Decent Sampler.

PavlovsCat

Alright now!

Success at last. I'm glad I followed through. Very nice sounding samples and the decent sampler is exactly that. Works great.

In the process of testing comparing, I find I really love (at the moment( the Worlitzer layered with the Lounge Lizards for a beautiful combined sound...

Thanks for all the help...

I just noticed something strange... I believe it is F#4 but is is a much brighter sample than the rest of the kit. Is it only here (corrupt)

Edited by Keni
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Keni said:

I just noticed something strange... I believe it is F#4 but is is a much brighter sample than the rest of the kit. Is it only here (corrupt)

You may want to check your controller using MIDI-OX, to see what velocity that key is sending. You could be triggering a different velocity layer with that key.

When I play all 5 black keys in that 4th octave, I do not detect a noticeable difference with F#4.

10 minutes ago, abacab said:

You may want to check your controller using MIDI-OX, to see what velocity that key is sending. You could be triggering a different velocity layer with that key.

When I play all 5 black keys in that 4th octave, I do not detect a noticeable difference with F#4.

Good thought. I have not looked at that but I’ve never noticed such with any other instruments. Coulld be more noticable with this player/sample set?

I'll look into it...

I decided to compare the 5 Wurli's that I have installed here, including this new one.

So I loaded up:

• Decent Sampler - Worlitzer
  • Waves - Electric 200
  • AIR - Velvet A200
  • Kontakt - NI Scarbee A-200
  • Arturia - Wurli V2

In a not too rigorous test, I listened to them all first as close to dry (no on-board FX) as I could get, then again with a reverb and delay plugins with the same settings on each instance.

Sorry, no videos. Just my opinion here as I have never owned a real Wurli, so only have a personal impression of what they should sound like based on years of listening to recordings of them.

I would say that the Decent Sampler, Waves, and AIR come closest to the real thing, IMO. But there are variances in tone for them from the lower registers to the upper, as well as velocity response. It would be difficult  to choose a best overall.

NI Scarbee is OK, but a bit lackluster.

Arturia, WTF? That sounds like a nice electric piano, but is that really a model of a Wurli? 😂

Edit: I just realized that I was only running the SD sample library for the Waves instrument collection. Downloading the HD sample set now, and will take another listed to the Waves Electric 200 in HD. It was actually very decent in SD, so we'll see if it gets any better!

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, abacab said:

Hmmm...

I checked via midi-ox and they keys are all responding equally in values. There is no mapping allowing for individual adjustment for each key. I used a few different scalings and they all consistently have the same issue. That one key!

Very hard to play soft enough, but when I can hit that key soft enough, the overly bright tone becomes normal... It feels as though the settings for that one key in the sample mappings is somehow different...

29 minutes ago, Keni said:

I checked via midi-ox and they keys are all responding equally in values. There is no mapping allowing for individual adjustment for each key. I used a few different scalings and they all consistently have the same issue. That one key!

Very hard to play soft enough, but when I can hit that key soft enough, the overly bright tone becomes normal... It feels as though the settings for that one key in the sample mappings is somehow different...

Hmmm... interesting. That brightness could be a quirk with that key in that particular Wurli that he sampled.

Anyway, I noticed that his higher velocity layers seem to dominate, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of leeway between soft and loud, compared with my other Wurly plugins. Ramps up fast! Perhaps not as many layers?

I decided to compare the 5 Wurli's that I have installed here, including this new one.

So I loaded up:

• Decent Sampler - Worlitzer
  • Waves - Electric 200
  • AIR - Velvet A200
  • Kontakt - NI Scarbee A-200
  • Arturia - Wurli V2

In a not too rigorous test, I listened to them all first as close to dry (no on-board FX) as I could get, then again with a reverb and delay plugins with the same settings on each instance.

Sorry, no videos. Just my opinion here as I have never owned a real Wurli, so only have a personal impression of what they should sound like based on years of listening to recordings of them.

I would say that the Decent Sampler, Waves, and AIR come closest to the real thing, IMO. But there are variances in tone for them from the lower registers to the upper, as well as velocity response. It would be difficult  to choose a best overall.

NI Scarbee is OK, but a bit lackluster.

Arturia, WTF? That sounds like a nice electric piano, but is that really a model of a Wurli? 😂

Edit: I just realized that I was only running the SD sample library for the Waves instrument collection. Downloading the HD sample set now, and will take another listed to the Waves Electric 200 in HD. It was actually very decent in SD, so we'll see if it gets any better!

I grew up with a Wurli and from the two Wurli libraries you mentioned that I have -- the Scarbee one and the Decent Sampler one this thread is about -- I completely agree with your opinions. I wish you owned the SoundPaint Wurli so you could compare that one! It's twenty bucks,  but I'm cautious with 8Dio libraries and I've never known anyone who's used that one and the demos aren't anything like rock or R&B, they're aimed at film composers, so I'm still waiting on that one, even though the price us sooooo tempting.  But please, keep doing reviews. It's really useful to get the thoughts of people here. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

I believe the Waves Electric 200 HD is my favorite Wurli now. Not bad for a sample library weighing 640 MB. :)

Not to take anything away from the Worlitzer, which is a fine effort with 756 MB by an end user not backed by a large company! It sounds great, but some may not find it as playable without some tweaking to velocity curves.

16 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

I grew up with a Wurli and from the two Wurli libraries you mentioned that I have -- the Scarbee one and the Decent Sampler one this thread is about -- I completely agree with your opinions. I wish you owned the SoundPaint Wurli so you could compare that one! It's twenty bucks,  but I'm cautious with 8Dio libraries and I've never known anyone who's used that one and the demos aren't anything like rock or R&B, they're aimed at film composers, so I'm still waiting on that one, even though the price us sooooo tempting.  But please, keep doing reviews. It's really useful to get the thoughts of people here. 

I wouldn't go out of my way to pick up the NI Scarbee A-200. I got it "free" with Komplete. 🙄

The Decent Sampler one is miles ahead on the sound! Also, I never really really messed with my Arturia Wurli V before, as I have the full V Collection, as well as other electric pianos. But I was really surprised by a side-by-side comparison with the rest. Not even close!

Thanks for the tip on the SoundPaint one, but I would say that if you don't mind spending $29.99 (with coupon HALF), the Waves Electric 200 is a very good deal! >>> https://www.waves.com/plugins/electric-200-piano#presenting-electric-200-piano

Edited by abacab

31 minutes ago, abacab said:

Hmmm... interesting. That brightness could be a quirk with that key in that particular Wurli that he sampled.

Anyway, I noticed that his higher velocity layers seem to dominate, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of leeway between soft and loud, compared with my other Wurly plugins. Ramps up fast! Perhaps not as many layers?

That's how it feels here too. Almost on/off instead of scaling?

19 minutes ago, abacab said:

I wouldn't go out of my way to pick up the NI Scarbee A-200. I got it "free" with Komplete. 🙄

The Decent Sampler one is miles ahead on the sound! Also, I never really really messed with my Arturia Wurli V before, as I have the full V Collection, as well as other electric pianos. But I was really surprised by a side-by-side comparison with the rest. Not even close!

Thanks for the tip on the SoundPaint one, but I would say that if you don't mind spending $29.99 (with coupon HALF), the Waves Electric 200 is a very good deal! >>> https://www.waves.com/plugins/electric-200-piano#presenting-electric-200-piano

I'm so conflicted about Waves (danger: last time I weighed in and made an analogy I got attacked for it) due to their WUP.  I own 30 of their plugins already and am hesitant to buy more. But I suppose I can do one of their trials. The three libraries I've pushed OTS to do over the years (going back more than 10 years!) are the Les Paul (check), the Hofner violin bass (no comment, but I soon will be) and the Wurli. I guess two out of three ain't bad, right? But man,  if Greg could do a Wurli at the level of The Famous E, that would be amazing. Quick,  does someone know where to find a Wurli that still works great? 

EDIT: I love that dude's playing (in the video).

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 2

Something difficult to add to my issues here. Sheesh... This one sure has had a lot of issues for me. I do like the sound a lot though...

Latest problem? The Filter keeps re-setting itself. I was forced to turn off reset controller to zero on stop. Better, but it still occasionally seems to reset to zero.

<sigh> Issues... Will they never end?

11 minutes ago, Keni said:

Latest problem? The Filter keeps re-setting itself. I was forced to turn off reset controller to zero on stop. Better, but it still occasionally seems to reset to zero.

<sigh> Issues... Will they never end?

That sounds like a Decent Sampler/Cakewalk issue. I haven't used DS in anything yet other than just jamming with it. Thanks for the head-up!

1 hour ago, PavlovsCat said:

I completely agree with your opinions. I wish you owned the SoundPaint Wurli so you could compare that one! It's twenty bucks,  but I'm cautious with 8Dio libraries and I've never known anyone who's used that one and the demos aren't anything like rock or R&B, they're aimed at film composers, so I'm still waiting on that one, even though the price us sooooo tempting. 

I took a minute to check out the SoundPaint 1972 Wurli online demo tracks and video. I have SoundPaint and a few libraries, but have resisted collecting them as many are huge in GB for sample libraries.

Thankfully, the 1972 Wurli weighs only slightly over 3 GB, so not too bad! But like you said, the ecosystem is aimed at film composers. My impression and interest in SoundPaint is as a layering tool for creating atmospheric, cinematic, and ambient soundscapes. Which is perfect if you like working in that ecosystem! Layering can be magical, but is not the same as playing a solo instrument.

For solo (e)piano, perhaps a dedicated Wurli VSTi or Kontakt sample library would be more effective. I cannot imagine any limitations to that approach if you just add an FX rack like IK MixBox, or Kilohearts SnapHeap to your track. Then you could shape that single layer sound any way that you could imagine.  :)

46 minutes ago, abacab said:

That sounds like a Decent Sampler/Cakewalk issue. I haven't used DS in anything yet other than just jamming with it. Thanks for the head-up!

I agree. Glad I could help even in this manner. I wonder if/how I might load the samples into a different sampler? This issue is specific to Decent at the moment.

If I could load it into Vsampler, I might even be able to edit F#4 individually (Vsampler has full editing)

9 minutes ago, Keni said:

I agree. Glad I could help even in this manner. I wonder if/how I might load the samples into a different sampler? This issue is specific to Decent at the moment.

If I could load it into Vsampler, I might even be able to edit F#4 individually (Vsampler has full editing)

Unfortunately, it appears that this author only released Worlitzer in Decent Sampler format. Pianobook offers samplists the Decent Sampler, Kontakt, EXS24, and SFZ sample formats.

1 hour ago, PavlovsCat said:

I'm so conflicted about Waves (danger: last time I weighed in and made an analogy I got attacked for it) due to their WUP.  I own 30 of their plugins already and am hesitant to buy more. But I suppose I can do one of their trials.

Oh yeah!!! :)

Waves Electric 200.PNG

14 minutes ago, abacab said:

Unfortunately, it appears that this author only released Worlitzer in Decent Sampler format. Pianobook offers samplists the Decent Sampler, Kontakt, EXS24, and SFZ sample formats.

I guess I can checkout the sfz format. Painful though it is, sfz is editable. I’ll look tomorrow as I’m too burnt today.