Arturia V Collection 9 - not a deal

Jim Roseberry

Just updated from 8 to 9... and paid full price.

A bit expensive for a 1 version upgrade, but I will say the Prophet was significantly improved.

If you don't already have a high-end piano library/plugin, the Steinway piano is pretty decent.

The new effects/modulation options are welcome.

Looks like development for Pigments is crossing over into the other instruments.

Next, I'd like to see the OB-Xa, Matrix 12, Mini, and Modular redone.  😃

Edited by Jim Roseberry
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

24 minutes ago, Tim Smith said:

And I believe these are physically modeled instruments are they not? Just curious. I thought I read it somewhere.

V Collection is mostly modeled, but it's more likely using  "circuit modeling", as is typically the way VA synths are modeled.

Physical modeling is a mathematical way to model acoustic instruments, using models to emulate things like string vibrations, the way that mallets strike surfaces, or how air flow causes brass and woodwind instruments to vibrate.

46 minutes ago, abacab said:

V Collection is mostly modeled, but it's more likely using  "circuit modeling", as is typically the way VA synths are modeled.

Physical modeling is a mathematical way to model acoustic instruments, using models to emulate things like string vibrations, the way that mallets strike surfaces, or how air flow causes brass and woodwind instruments to vibrate.

I think you need to change your Avatar to a Lab Coat with a pocket protector too ;)

Be careful with Pigment as it can become addicting!

The Pianos are modeled (not a large sample library).

As Abacab mentioned, the virtual-analog synths are component/circuit modeled.

The Prophet was ok before.  Now, it sounds much closer to the Prophet 5.

Had a Prophet 10 for a few weeks... and sold it to buy other gear.  It's a simple synth with a single mono out and no onboard effects.

Limited by today's standards... but it's fantastic within those limitations.  Slightly regret selling it...

The Arturia version is just good enough to (slightly) quell the G.A.S.

• Great Idea 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jim Roseberry said:

The Prophet was ok before.  Now, it sounds much closer to the Prophet 5.

Had a Prophet 10 for a few weeks... and sold it to buy other gear.  It's a simple synth with a single mono out and no onboard effects.

Limited by today's standards... but it's fantastic within those limitations.  Slightly regret selling it...

The Arturia version is just good enough to (slightly) quell the G.A.S.

Have you ever compared it with u-He Repro?

2 hours ago, InstrEd said:

I think you need to change your Avatar to a Lab Coat with a pocket protector too

Not necessarily. I've absorbed some physical modeling by osmosis just from playing around with AAS Chromophone, and KORG Prophecy.

But you can pin a geek tag on me for mentioning "osmosis". :)

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Sergio said:

I have u-he Repro and that was a major factor preventing me from upgrading from VC8 to VC9. I was never really into the Arturia version, and have not tested their new Prophet. Maybe in a couple years when I upgrade to VC9 I'll find out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

the virtual-analog synths are component/circuit modeled.

Urs Heckman of u-he on analog modeling... warning deep geek stuff here: https://urs.silvrback.com/analogue-modeling

"My understanding of analogue modeling in the most simple terms is this: In analogue modeling we use formulas that deal with voltages and currents. These formulas are furthermore based on the understanding of the electronic components used in a circuit, and how they're wired up."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sergio said:

I compared. Mostly a lazy comparision - the factory presets. Ok, I'm lazy. Sometimes the presets sounded almost identical, sometimes a bit different. Sometimes I liked Repro better, other Arturia. But U-He is rev3 and Arturia is modeled on a rev-2, so it really seems like 2 different synths. One funny memory: the patch '25 Trumpet Flute', to me sounds just as flute on Repro, but really Trumpet/Flute on Arturia.

• Like 3