Soundpaint Release Vintage Mello D

cclarry

13 minutes ago, Steve Madden said:

I think UDS is Ultra Deep Sampling and SDS is Super Deep Sampling. Basically SDS has less round robins and takes up less HD space.  They have a video out comparing the two. 

How counterintuitive.  A detailed lofi Mellotron-ish library. While I get Paul's point that there is a ton of Tron libraries on the market--  and I own a bunch of them -- I must admit that I  still was very excited about the idea, at least on paper,  of a new series of libraries that emulates that distinctive Tron vibe. But I find, based on the demos, this misses the mark. It just falls flat. I'd love something to come along that samples different instruments in a very Tron like way. I think the best attempt yet was by Sound Dust. I think throwing effects on existing libraries does a better job than this Soundpaint library.  Sorry. I like Troels and I'm a Tron superfan. The latter is why I find this library doesn't cut it. 

• Like 1

And anyone with a recent Arturia V Collection already has the Mellotron V. :)

• You have a great collection of the best original Mello tape sounds.
• You can use your own samples as "tapes" if you want (looped or non-looped).
This way you will have an ever growing assortment of sounds. The samples will
play through the emulated "tape mechanism", which will give them a vintage
sound that can't be achieved anywhere else

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, abacab said:

• You can use your own samples as "tapes" if you want (looped or non-looped).

Yeah, I haven't picked up the Aturia Mellotron V, but not because I don't think it sounds great. I do want it. I think that their feature to use your own samples and make them sound lofi like Tron samples impressing the heck out of me. Arturia doesn't seem to release any plugins that aren't killer. I just exceeded by meager budget a long time ago.  For what I do own, M-tron Pro is my favorite. But if Mellotron V ever goes cheap enough, I definitely want it. I just think I've already spent more money on my music hobby than my talent level warrants, so I've been cutting back my spending. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

23 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

But if Mellotron V ever goes cheap enough, I definitely want it. I just think I've already spent more money on my music hobby than my talent level warrants, so I've been cutting back my spending. 

I wouldn't recommend buying an individual Arturia instrument, except for Pigments that goes on sale occasionally for $99 or less.

I bought the entire V Collection on sale for slightly more than an individual V Instrument at MSRP. That's the way to roll!!! :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

9 hours ago, abacab said:

You can use your own samples as "tapes" if you want (looped or non-looped).

I did not know that.  You can do this with any sampler.  I did it many years ago when I was into programming samplers.  I did it with Kontakt and VSampler.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Paul Young said:

I did not know that.  You can do this with any sampler.  I did it many years ago when I was into programming samplers.  I did it with Kontakt and VSampler.

Correct, but I assume many folks just use the many included presets in the V Collection, so this post was made to point out the Mellotron V is actually a sampler.

One with the added benefit of being able to process your samples through their emulated Arturia "tape mechanism". The newer vintage Mellotron knockoffs are actually late to the game!

Also TAPE MELLO_FI, included in the Arturia FX collection, is inspired by the Mellotron.

"The sound of the Mellotron

The Mellotron, introduced in 1963, was a keyboard that had a tape playback mechanism under every key. Tape MELLO-FI’s sound and behavior is inspired by Mellotron V, our software recreation of this legendary instrument."

Edited by abacab