UAD Plugin of the Week -Empirical Labs Distressor

cclarry

hmmm... been pretty disciplined about weaning myself off the uad ecosystem, mainly because of the cost/overhead/portability of a dsp dongle which will eventually fail.

had been holding out for a decent price on the "original" https://www.empiricallabs.com/product/arousor/  but it's never been lower than $129 and only once at that.

the uad announcement of a move to native has me rethinking the options but... 

currently not available in native and no guarantees of a native release (per the uad mantra of "Nothing to announce at this time.") so...

perhaps a little self intervention is in order to quit buying $15 plugins that -might- get used and apply a couple of rounds to make up the diff for the OG version. It's nice to have options, but perhaps better to be well versed in fewer but best-in-class versions. 

11 minutes ago, jackson white said:

perhaps a little self intervention is in order to quit buying $15 plugins that -might- get used and apply a couple of rounds to make up the diff for the OG version. It's nice to have options, but perhaps better to be well versed in fewer but best-in-class versions. 

I did that and regret nothing.

And that Distressor is great! It is one of my favorite go to weapons for awesomeness. 

On 4/5/2022 at 2:32 PM, jackson white said:

That's crazy talk! 😛

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, jackson white said:

agreed! i remember being impressed with the demo (years ago),  but it was a significant load on the dsp. 

is that still the case? 

Yeah, it’s not that much gentler on the resources, if at all, since I first got it as far as I can see. But I have a Twin quad and an Octo satellite plus a powerful computer. I never hit the ceiling on my system because of this one. However, I use this a lot on as an insert when recording so the effect is printed on the audio, and maybe on a bus or three when mixing mostly. Wouldn’t be without it, though.

Edited by projectm
  • Thanks 1

I must confess, I did a one-month trial sub at Slate to get the Kilohearts presets. And if I'm being totally honest, it was pretty juicy inside the Slate-verse. But I still managed to free myself before I had to pay anything, although I did pick up the Verbsuite Classics when it was on sale at Best Service.  I don't recall ever seeing FG-Stress on sale tho....   🤔

• Like 1

Yeah, since their sub they’re running fewer sales. I got in a few years back and love their stuff. In fact, I consider Slate to have the best analog emulation plugins, while FabFilter are digital royalty. 

• Like 1