Steinberg Download Assistand and eLicenser Software Updated

cclarry

47 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

What new stuff do they have to tempt us 😃

bug fixes

new licencing that doesn't need the dongle

M1 support on the mac but NOT for VST2

(and this is a PAID update ?)

I suspect we'll see the remote MIDI API thing that was supposed to be in v11 but didn't make it.

be prepared to be underwhelmed ...and I say that as a Steinberg Fan !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, simon said:

... it's in the gate, waiting to go so I suspect it will be next wednesday. 

Agreed.

I suspect Matthias Quellmann would not have said anything publicly if it were not very close.  Folks are already chomping at the bit over on the Cubase forum and stirring the pot (excuse the mixed metaphores) will only make things worse.

• Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, simon said:

bug fixes additions

Oops, I think you mispoke there. 😉

1 hour ago, simon said:

... be prepared to be underwhelmed ...and I say that as a Steinberg Fan !

Sadly this^ is the strategy I now use to greet new Cubase releases.

Then again, maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised this time given that SB had more time to work on it.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, locrian said:

Oops, I think you mispoke there. 😉

Sadly this^ is the strategy I now use to greet new Cubase releases.

Then again, maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised this time given that SB had more time to work on it.

I hope so...but I think a lot of that development time will have been on the new licensing and M1 support - neither of which I really care about and certainly don't want to pay for.  This time they'll get HiDPI fixed...like the other 3 times they 'fixed it' :) 

We'll get some new plugins (that we don't need) - some new sample packs (which we don't want).

It really does feel like Steinberg have lost their way in the last few years.  Treading water.

I don't know if anybody remembered the two 'user request' surveys that they did a 2 or 3 years ago.  Some great feature improvements were suggested on them - more or less none have made it to the product.  

5 minutes ago, simon said:

I hope so...but I think a lot of that development time will have been on the new licensing and M1 support - neither of which I really care about and certainly don't want to pay for.  This time they'll get HiDPI fixed...like the other 3 times they 'fixed it' :) 

We'll get some new plugins (that we don't need) - some new sample packs (which we don't want).

It really does feel like Steinberg have lost their way in the last few years.  Treading water.

I don't know if anybody remembered the two 'user request' surveys that they did a 2 or 3 years ago.  Some great feature improvements were suggested on them - more or less none have made it to the product.  

Gee, I was really trying to be positive (given my somber inclination towards SB).  Sadly, I agree on all counts.

• Like 2

For the sake of SB's market share (especially with Studio One), they'd better have at least one major OMG feature or UI overhaul.  I can't see them getting by with an underwhelming release.  Of course, they probably harvested a bunch of version 11 upgrades with the carrot of a "free" version 12 upgrade.

9 minutes ago, pbognar said:

For the sake of SB's market share (especially with Studio One), they'd better have at least one major OMG feature or UI overhaul.  I can't see them getting by with an underwhelming release.  Of course, they probably harvested a bunch of version 11 upgrades with the carrot of a "free" version 12 upgrade.

Cubase has (last time I checked) the LARGEST installed base (PRO Studio) in the world, more so than even "Pro Fools".  The reason PT is considered
the "industry standard" is because it is the most widely used "first choice" of Studios (HD version), but it's not "the largest installed base",
and I would venture to say that, now with their crazy prices and subscriptions, that base has SEVERELY dwindled.  Most "heavy composers" also
use Cubase/Nuendo, due to the massive "MIDI Editing" capabilities!  One thing for sure, if you walk into a "Pro" studio you will find BOTH
Pro Tools and Cubase installed.  You may find others...but those two are almost certainly guaranteed to be there!

But Studio One has probably become "the" DAW amongst "hobbyists, home producers, and musician's"

(Cue DAW "X"'s fanbois with the rage!)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cclarry said:

Cubase has (last time I checked) the LARGEST installed base (PRO Studio) in the world, more so than even "Pro Fools".  The reason PT is considered
the "industry standard" is because it is the most widely used "first choice" of Studios (HD version), but it's not "the largest installed base",
and I would venture to say that, now with their crazy prices and subscriptions, that base has SEVERELY dwindled.  Most "heavy composers" also
use Cubase/Nuendo, due to the massive "MIDI Editing" capabilities!  One thing for sure, if you walk into a "Pro" studio you will find BOTH
Pro Tools and Cubase installed.  You may find others...but those two are almost certainly guaranteed to be there!

But Studio One has probably become "the" DAW amongst "hobbyists, home producers, and musician's"

(Cue DAW "X"'s fanbois with the rage!)

I have both , cubase is superior in a lot of aspect , but fun , i'm still loving studio one  ..... 

• Like 2