How do I make Master channel appear in project?

Laurence Levin

First the quick answer:

The "Master" is just an output buss that is named "Master".  All you need to do is add a new buss, set the output (the drop down under IN/OUT) to the stereo output of you interface.  Then rename the buss to Master.  You will now have a master buss.

Now the better answer:

When you open up cakewalk, bring up the "Start Screen"  if it is not automatically shown and pick a new project (basic for example) .  This project will already have a "Master Buss" setup in it.   If no start screen, go to the "File" menu and select it.

If you have a  desire to make a custom startup project, set it up as you would like and save it as a "Template" and you will always have the start project  you need to do your work.

Syphus

Edited by Syphus
  • Like 2

By default, all project templates bundled with CbB have a master bus.

The only distinguishing feature of the master bus is, by default, all audio tracks and buses created after the master bus is designated, automatically have their output routed to it.

To designate a bus as the master bus, in the track view bus pane, right-click on the bus header and select "Set as Default Bus" then rename as desired.

To bulk change all existing audio tracks to route to the new master bus, select them, hold down the CTRL key and select the new master bus from one of the track outputs; repeat for the buses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Laurence Levin said:

Thanks! So helpful. Sometimes I open a MIDI file I created on my keyboard, and then I add audio tracks and save it as a .cwp, and no Master bus appears. 

You gave me two options: Add a bus to the project and make it the default bus or open a template and import the MIDI. 

There are pro's and con's to both,

1. Opening the MIDI File, then adding your own Master bus

Pros:

• Any tempo changes / markers in the MIDI file will be imported into the project
  • If you've no hardware MIDI outs, TTS-1 is automatically inserted and wired up for you

Cons:

• You have to create your own Master bus (and optionally Preview/Metronome buses) and re-route the outputs
  • If you do have hardware MIDI outs available, you need to insert your own synth an route the MIDI tracks to it

2. Creating a project based on a template, and importing the MIDI

Pros:

• Your Master/Preview/Metronome bus are there for you

Cons:

• No tempo information or markers are imported when importing the MIDI file
  • You need to insert your own synth and route the MIDI tracks to it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kevin Perry said:

3 (I think this works)

Copy one of the CbB templates

Change the file extension to .cwx

Open the MIDI file

Insert track template copied above

Assign outputs to master bus that has just been inserted

A word of warning on this one though... this might work for simple templates, but track templates are deliberately a sub-set of a full project template and there's no guarantee this will always work.  There's likely to be a bunch of stuff that will be ignored from the template that could be relied upon.

• Like 1

That video is just an overview of all the options in Track view. I have other videos that detail the different ways of handling midi files. 
As we all know there is always 10 ways to do the same tasks in Cakewalk. 
Another option for midi files is to open the file which as said will set up the project with everything including the TTS1 

Then insert an instrument track using a track template that includes a sub bus and a master buss Cakewalk will create those busses if they don’t exist. 

• Like 1

Ok, so I added a stereo bus. Then I made it the default bus. Still, the existing tracks don't feed into this new bus, nothing appears on the meter, and nothing happens when I change the volume of the new bus. What do I need to do to get my music to go into the new bus? 

Edit, oh I didn't read this part:

"To bulk change all existing audio tracks to route to the new master bus, select them, hold down the CTRL key and select the new master bus from one of the track outputs; repeat for the buses"

Edited by Laurence Levin

4 minutes ago, Laurence Levin said:

Edit, oh I didn't read this part:

"To bulk change all existing audio tracks to route to the new master bus, select them, hold down the CTRL key and select the new master bus from one of the track outputs; repeat for the buses"

attaboy

• Like 1