SSD Prices

Reid Rosefelt

1 hour ago, kitekrazy said:

rocket science

Sorry, I did use too much jargon, I'll try to explain it better (I'm not trying to convince anybody one way or the other, this is an explanation for reference)

Motherboards have PCIe slots that support multiple data streams (lanes), often with different sizes (https://duropc.com/the-difference-between-pcie-x1-x4-x8-x16-and-x32). Typically you insert one card in each slot, and the card uses all (or only some) of those streams.

Some motherboards allow grouping the streams in a slot using a technique called multiplexing. This technique fools the rest of the system and makes it look like there are multiple smaller slots. There are simple adapter cards, like the one that I linked or the one in the picture below, that plug into a PCIe slot with 16 lanes and provide 4 small nvme slots, connected in a way that works with the multiplexing (each drive will look like it's connected to its own slot and using 4 lanes).

Dell-4x-m2-NVMe-Drive-PCIe-Card.jpg

If the motherboard cannot do the multiplexing, a more complicated (and more expensive) card is necessary for adding more than 1 nvme drive using 1 slot.

• Thanks 2