Alesis nitro mesh drums volume issue

IMTreble

I just got Alesis nitro mesh drums just because I like to play drums.  That is where my 2nd COVID gov'ment money went.  I am really having fun with them but they are too quiet when using headphones.  Tried a new cable from stereo out to headphones, as well as a new dual 1/4" to 1/8" trs split.  Still pretty quiet on full volume using either out.   

Does anyone have experience using an Alesis nitro module  with headphones?   I am trying to determine if this module is not exactly right or if maybe I need different headphones.  Can't really afford to keep throwing money at the setup to determine the issue via elimination.

I've got the nitro mesh kit - can't say I've had any issues with headphones. I'm using Sennheiser HD201's , which have a 24ohm impedance. Maybe your headphone impedance is too  high for the nitro mesh module?

However, in saying that from your description, "Tried a new cable from stereo out to headphones",  it does sound as if you're using the wrong output.  The stereo output at the back is at line level which is definitely too quiet to drive headphones.

You should be using the headphone out, which is at the left of the module:

image.png.b2db7479d9d84021234553b696e9c226.png

Thanks Mark.  Yes I am using the right out.  Then I tried the ones in back just to test.  im  of the belief that you are right about the headphones.  Just wanted to get  some feedback before I went looking to buy a better set.

:)

13 hours ago, IMTreble said:

Thanks Mark.  Yes I am using the right out.  Then I tried the ones in back just to test.  im  of the belief that you are right about the headphones.  Just wanted to get  some feedback before I went looking to buy a better set.

:)

In my experience the more professional headphones actually have a higher impedance, so I'd look at getting a cheaper set.

Of course there is always the possibility that there's a fault in the Nitro Mesh module... although, at least with a cheaper set of headphones you'll not have spent too much finding that out.

If you can, put an ohm meter over the ground & tip of your headphone jack - mine reads about 25ohms, which seems about right to me. More professional headphones can read over 35ohms, which some devices can't drive. If yours is about the same as mine then you may want to contact Alesis and report the problem.

On 3/7/2021 at 12:19 PM, msmcleod said:

I've got the nitro mesh kit - can't say I've had any issues with headphones. I'm using Sennheiser HD201's , which have a 24ohm impedance. Maybe your headphone impedance is too  high for the nitro mesh module?

However, in saying that from your description, "Tried a new cable from stereo out to headphones",  it does sound as if you're using the wrong output.  The stereo output at the back is at line level which is definitely too quiet to drive headphones.

You should be using the headphone out, which is at the left of the module:

image.png.b2db7479d9d84021234553b696e9c226.png

What is that thing that they are using to point at the button? it looks like somebody photoshopped a toe onto the end of a finger.😱

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Higher impedance phones will be up in 600 Ohm range. These were common when  using +4  analogue consoles. I would recommend something similar to AKG K240 Studio which are in the 55 Ohm range - or like Mark suggests Sennheiser 201's  or 280's are also very good for the money.

• 11 months later...