Anyone know a way to input cc data in multiple tracks at the same time?

DocBob

Anyone know a way to input cc data (let's say Mod wheel) in multiple tracks at the same time?  Ought to be simple but I can't figure out how to do it. Selecting all tracks in the PRV with auto lock and auto focus off writes the cc data only to the track with focus.

Thanks in advance

1 hour ago, John Vere said:

My approach would be insert a new midi track set the output to a desired VST, and record the mod wheel 

Now simply duplicate that track as many times as needed and set each new tracks output to the other VST's. 

Thanks.. . I was hoping more for a "select all tracks and draw" approach. If I have to treat each track individually I may as well and draw one,  then copy and past the CC events to each track. I CAN input cc data by selecting a number of tracks, arm then to record, make sure echo is on and record mod wheel movements.  I'd like a similar approach for DRAWING cc data.

4 hours ago, DocBob said:

Anyone know a way to input cc data (let's say Mod wheel) in multiple tracks at the same time?  Ought to be simple but I can't figure out how to do it. Selecting all tracks in the PRV with auto lock and auto focus off writes the cc data only to the track with focus.

1 hour ago, John Vere said:

My approach would be insert a new midi track set the output to a desired VST, and record the mod wheel 

35 minutes ago, DocBob said:

Thanks.. . I was hoping more for a "select all tracks and draw" approach.  [snip]

I CAN input cc data by selecting a number of tracks, arm then to record, make sure echo is on and record mod wheel movements.  I'd like a similar approach for DRAWING cc data.

The first thing that came to my mind when I read your query was the non-PRV method--which you mention: arm multiple midi tracks and record simultaneously.

image.png.c8673f174013ec8da2d6a58f05c8a42d.png

So, I am wondering: is your request is basically for a method that works in the PRV [i.e., the ability to arm multiple tracks] as opposed to drawing (so you don't have to use the track view)?  For me, using a slider on a usb keyboard is drawing and is personally easier for me [i.e., greater control with less effort] than using a mouse (or a mod wheel, a knob, etc.).

I don't use the PRV, but as more features are added [such as expression/articulation maps], I give it more thought as people mention workflows that use it. So I had no idea we couldn't do something like the above in the PRV.

Thanks.

A possible work around

If you select the MIDI tracks you which to add your controller data to, and then select (from the main menu), Insert | Series of controllers, all of the selected tracks will get the controllers inserted.

Further more, if you set your selection bar start and end pointe, the dialogue box's start and end will be prefilled.

3 hours ago, DocBob said:

Thanks.. . I was hoping more for a "select all tracks and draw" approach. If I have to treat each track individually I may as well and draw one,  then copy and past the CC events to each track. I CAN input cc data by selecting a number of tracks, arm then to record, make sure echo is on and record mod wheel movements.  I'd like a similar approach for DRAWING cc data.

Here is one way. It takes an extra instrument tack.

• Add an instrument track with a plug-in that has MIDI pass through capability such as CodeFN42 MIDICHFilter, NoteMapper or VeloScaler and enable input echo on.
  • Select the tracks to play the CC data, use quick groups to select the CodeFN42 plug-in as their input and enable echo on (enable SOS recording if desired although it may be better to wait until after drawing or skip recording entirely)
  • Draw the CC data in the PRV  or the automation lane on the CodeFN42 track

Linked Clips

Linked clips are indicated by a dotted outline. Any change to one will change all of them.

1. Copy & paste, or click & drag an existing clip from one track into as many other tracks as you need.

This automatically links them.

or

2. Right-click the Duplicate Track button & check the Link to Original Clips box. Click OK.

Then left-click the Duplicate Track button. This sets the default to link tracks when the Duplicate Track button is clicked.

or

3. Right-click a track and select Duplicate Track(s). Check the Link to Original Clip(s) box. Click OK.

or

4. Click the Tracks menu and do the same.

They are now  linked (dotted line around each clip) so any changes made to one clip will also be made to the others.

Notes:

This also works when copy/pasting clips into the same track.

Tracks can be unlinked after the fact but not relinked.

Duplicate Tracks used to be Clone Tracks.

Edited by sjoens