Berklee Online - Introduction to the Music Business for Free

cclarry

1 hour ago, TheSteven said:

Have all the free courses filled up?  Not seeing any, only free samples lessons.

What I see is stuff like:
3-Credit Tuition
$1,515

Non-Credit Tuition
$1,265

which to my eyes means I'll need to pay either $250 or $1,265 to attend.

The thing I missed at first glance was that Lars posted this in 2020. A number of the courses still exist but on the 3rd party EDU sites. So the links don't work on Berkeley direct, but the content mostly seemed to still be accessible.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheSteven said:

Have all the free courses filled up?  Not seeing any, only free samples lessons.

What I see is stuff like:
3-Credit Tuition
$1,515

Non-Credit Tuition
$1,265

which to my eyes means I'll need to pay either $250 or $1,265 to attend.

I did a quick check on this, and all of the courses I took from Berklee were actually through Coursera. Often most "Specialization" or "with Certificate" had some fee, but it seeems that the ones which say "Enroll for Free" on the red button of the description page are still free (but didn't enroll to make sure). Seems all of the classes started today (26 June), so worth checking out if interested.

Quick edit: the "certificate" part was an option for finishing the course, but didn't affect the course itself (just paid for a certificate if you wanted). Some of the specializations were charged to take the course itself.

Edited by mettelus
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, mettelus said:

Seems all of the classes started today (26 June), so worth checking out if interested..

Classes start today but enrollment has been extended - from https://online.berklee.edu/
image.png.79f31236d65732d60eab83adf6ac002d.png

39 minutes ago, mettelus said:

Quick edit: the "certificate" part was an option for finishing the course, but didn't affect the course itself (just paid for a certificate if you wanted). Some of the specializations were charged to take the course itself.

As Mettelus mentioned, I enrolled and this came up (not a show stopper)

image.png.394b75c0b75e08931c1e6792d57e7c5e.png

Note: If you decline you're offer the same certificate bundle for $41.65 when you sign in - option is open for 6 days)

Edited by TheSteven

Seems all of the courses start today. I did find that Fundamentals of Music Theory (University of Edinburgh) course. That guy is listed as basic (still) but is a bit more intense than "basic" for some parts. 323,010 enrolled in it though!

Can set up an account on Coursera and peruse through what they have to offer... is a LOT more than "just music" on there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

Note: If you decline you're offer the same certificate bundle for $41.65 - option is open for 5 days)

Yeah, that certificate is an option you can get with completing the course, not any requirement. In fact, each course has a forum set up for the current class of students, and one of those classes had a pretty heated debate on the "value" of said certificate. There were similar debates regarding the specializations (some of the courses in those specializations are also free), and the advice was pretty much "unless you have an employer that values said certificate/specialization, it may not be worth the cost to you (or make them pay for it!)."

• Like 1

The "Technology of Music Production" (formerly Introduction to Music Production), was one course that got a lot of attention in the old forum years ago. It is a good course and focuses on using a DAW (generic), so great for new DAW users. I am very curious if that is simply the same video set, since the profile pic is the same as from 10+ years ago. He actually used iZotope Alloy 2 (no longer exists) in a few of those videos, so that would be a dead give away.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mettelus said:

Yeah, that certificate is an option you can get with completing the course, not any requirement. In fact, each course has a forum set up for the current class of students, and one of those classes had a pretty heated debate on the "value" of said certificate. There were similar debates regarding the specializations (some of the courses in those specializations are also free), and the advice was pretty much "unless you have an employer that values said certificate/specialization, it may not be worth the cost to you (or make them pay for it!)."

I saw the offer with the Music Theory class to be able to post the certificate on your Linked In page.
Lol - not good thing when your day gig views non IT endeavors as 'distractions'.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheSteven said:

I saw the offer with the Music Theory class to be able to post the certificate on your Linked In page.
Lol - not good thing when your day gig views non IT endeavors as 'distractions'.

Haha that's not a good thing indeed. I used to work for a large international bank (top 25 in the world) and it was actively encouraged to do courses UNrelated to your work. They even paid for it. In fact, if I had tried to do a course that was only just a bit related to my work, they would deny funding. This could be anything from hobby-related stuff to career-changing education.

I currently work for a government department and funnily enough they are a bit stricter. Courses have to be somewhat work related, but on the other hand, the budget is huge. I can spend thousands of euro's each year. And as long as there are some buzzwords in the course description like "communication", "planning" or "streamlining processes", I'm golden.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 6/19/2023 at 9:54 AM, Nick Blanc said:

I enrolled. You have to enroll today and the course expires 31 july. Knowing my previous academic experience, the 6x2 hours of study time will be crammed into 1 session starting July 30th 4AM.

I followed one of my other academic prowess...not attending 😅

• Great Idea 1
  • Haha 1