20% Off All MAGIX Products

Reid Rosefelt

Just an FYI  I sort of found out about the hard way.  If you're looking at Magix movie software, Movie Edit pro handles almost all formats. Vegas does not.

I think Magix already owned Movie Edit pro when they bought out Sony.  I prefer MEP over Vegas for handling various formats for this reason and a few others.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Starise said:

Just an FYI  I sort of found out about the hard way.  If you're looking at Magix movie software, Movie Edit pro handles almost all formats. Vegas does not.

I think Magix already owned Movie Edit pro when they bought out Sony.  I prefer MEP over Vegas for handling various formats for this reason and a few others.

Vegas used to handle all formats, but in the latest version it seems to only handle more pro formats.   I bet there's a way to add some of the old ones back. 

My main format is .MOV as taken from Cannon cameras. The 90D is now switchable to a different format. My 70D still uses MOV. My version of Vegas would not accept those files. 

In Movie Edit pro on PC , MOV files are accepted.  For video only MEP is a little easier to work with IMHO. Vegas though has VST scanning so you can use it like a somewhat clunky DAW for basic stuff. It's really a shame they couldn't combine the two programs. The high end programs want to get you on a subscription plan. I am not into that, so these make great alternatives.