mark skinner

Posted (edited)

Hello , here's a new real lean instrumental. 7 tracks total for this first mix. All I can say about this one is  it Really put my editing skills to the test.  All crits comments and suggestions are welcomed.  Washburn and Yairi acoustics , G&L asat electric , Ibanez bass , MT Power drums , a severely mangled borrowed fiddle track.  Cakewalk and FabFilter plugins.       Thanks ..

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14782280

Edited by mark skinner
mild remix
  • Like 4

If this was something I had done it would be the final mix, and I would quit playing because I could never do anything better than this again. This sounds fantastic. As always the playing is wonderful. I can't wait to hear the final.

• Thanks 1

Thanks , @DeeringAmps , @Bajan Blue. I've been on the fence about the volume of the snare . I've been thinking it's a little hot. If I don't lose the pop and crack I may drop it a db or so. @Kevin Walsh , Thanks for the nice comment ! I suspect the final won't be much different. Thinking about doing some Ooohs and Aahs in one section ?? 

I finally found the sound I've been searching for on the G&L. I saved it as a track template , so I can use it again in the future.                Thanks ..   mark 

• Like 1

Thanks Jack. It's actually a real fiddle. Gary Brun sent me a mixing tutorial recently. It had the individual Wav files of all the instruments used in the tutorial. I "borrowed" the fiddle track and built this song around it. The timing was drifting around and there was a Lot of drum bleed on the track from the real drummer. I got the bleed out , then chopped the track up , retimed and repitched it to fit the song. I believe it would have been easier to just learn how to play a fiddle.  ?  ms

• Haha 1

• mark skinner changed the title to Fiddle Worm ~ remix ~

Oh yeah loved this that fiddle was fantastic , the whole track had so much depth  beautiful acoustic guitars bloody fantastic I had to listen to it three times and still wanted more , great stuff cheers P

• Thanks 1

Enjoyed the groove & playing on this. Mix sounding nice in my cans as well.  The snare does pop but a bit dry, I could also hear more of acoustic patch to match the style.

• Like 1

@Paul Bush, Thanks for the comment and the multiple plays. I've heard it too many times ..

@Makke , I appreciate it. With so few tracks it was easy get close. Minor changes took a while to get it dialed in.

@KSband , Thank You ..  I'm happy with it as it sits..

@hsmusic , Appreciate the listen and comment. Next time I'll seperate the drums to get more control over them..

@PavlovsCat , Thank you for weighing in.  Always nice.

I'm calling this one done .  Thanks to everyone for the listen ..

mark

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2024 at 9:27 PM, Kevin Walsh said:

If this was something I had done it would be the final mix, and I would quit playing because I could never do anything better than this again. This sounds fantastic. As always the playing is wonderful. I can't wait to hear the final.

I second that!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mark . . . most audio forensic of you to take a tutorial fiddle sound, and make a masterpiece from it ! Yup, sounds like that's what you did . . . just an excellent inspiring listen, hearing your audio magic evolve into this track. (Now, don't mess with it anymore) ? (I know you might)

Bruce

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Such talent .. love the rhythm and contra flow with the guitars with the violins , your time spacing is so professional.. drums are very moreish ( If that a word I can use ) This bit of work is top drawer stuff ... as is all your stuff .. On my third listen  ... godda go now so I can listen to India again !!

Steve

• Thanks 1

Sounds really good to me.  Those acoustic guitar licks are fantastic.  I don't think anything needs to be changed.  Maybe I'd do some very minor adjustments to the kick drum taking some of the top end off, but that is really nit-picking and may just be my personal taste.  The lead guitar (I think it's acoustic but not sure) is playing now (the slow part at the 3/4s mark of the song.) and it is fantastic.

• Thanks 1