​🗑️​Bapu's Random Thoughts For The Day

Bapu

1 hour ago, Notes_Norton said:

Definitely NOT.

I disliked almost everything about Catholic school, including the priests and the nuns.

The church we attended a few years ago had two priests accused of you know what. One wasn't even in the school when the accuser said it happened and the other priest was removed and we found out that he also was not at the school until after the accuser left the school.  So I have seen both sides of this. I don't condone what the bad priests have done but on my wife's side of the family 3 extended family became/are priests. They are some of the most dedicated members of the church.    I'm one of the ones that makes jokes too and I think the church should of been more forward and nipped it in the bud as Barney Fife said.

In catholic schools we the most contact with the nuns. Priests at confession, mass and an occasional speech in front of the class. Thankfully I wasn't an altar boy as they are the sad ones that are victims of abuse. Not that abuse is rampant, but it wasn't controlled well by the Vacant. At the first complaint or suspicion a full investigation and if necessary correction should be administered. I'm sure most of the priests were good men.

But the nuns--that's another story. Frustrated old witches that hated children. Oh the first two grades were fine, with sweet nuns, but by the 3rd it was that school's philosophy to break the spirit of the children. And I went before corporal punishment over the teacher's desk in front of the class was considered abusive.

I wasn't a particularly bad kid, but I wasn't an angel either. Discipline with yelling and a yardstick, all punishment and no rewards is not the best way to bring up children IMHO. Like a puppy, you need to encourage children to do what you want them to do as much as possible, and save the negative discipline for when it's really needed.

In the 6th grade I moved to Florida, got into public school and I no longer hated school.

10 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

In catholic schools we the most contact with the nuns. Priests at confession, mass and an occasional speech in front of the class. Thankfully I wasn't an altar boy as they are the sad ones that are victims of abuse. Not that abuse is rampant, but it wasn't controlled well by the Vacant. At the first complaint or suspicion a full investigation and if necessary correction should be administered. I'm sure most of the priests were good men.

But the nuns--that's another story. Frustrated old witches that hated children. Oh the first two grades were fine, with sweet nuns, but by the 3rd it was that school's philosophy to break the spirit of the children. And I went before corporal punishment over the teacher's desk in front of the class was considered abusive.

I wasn't a particularly bad kid, but I wasn't an angel either. Discipline with yelling and a yardstick, all punishment and no rewards is not the best way to bring up children IMHO. Like a puppy, you need to encourage children to do what you want them to do as much as possible, and save the negative discipline for when it's really needed.

In the 6th grade I moved to Florida, got into public school and I no longer hated school.

My wife had my kids go to Catholic grade school. I have to agree about no rewards for the kids, with the administration anyway.  They are now it public High School and  my kids are excelling. They get noticed and awarded for doing and being good. Wow what a concept.  We even now changed parishes and drive further as we don't want anything to do with the school/church. I wanted to play something for eighth grade graduation and the Priest wouldn't let me as it was too secular to be played in the church.  Even after helping/playing for different masses 😣   Yet the same Priest let musician come in and play what ever they wanted for a funeral mass because they gave $$$$. My time meant nothing.  I'm so glad we are done with that place.  Yes I'm a little bitter 😏

My sister-in-law's son died in an automobile accident at the age of 32. She wanted Leilani to sing a song from "The Vampire Diaries". It was basically a love song with no mention of Vampires or the occult. The words were definitely non-offensive.

I learned it on the guitar (easy) and Leilani was ready to sing. We were 'backstage' behind the altar and the priest said we couldn't sing that song because it was from the Vampire diaries. I told him that's fine with me, but if you don't want us to play it, you'd have to clear that with the grieving mother, as she's expecting it, and I'm not going to be the one to tell her 'no'. The priest backed down. He wasn't about to tell the mother that she couldn't have that song.

It's a lot easier to be a Christian than it is to act Christ-Like.

2 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

It's a lot easier to be a Christian than it is to act Christ-Like

That is so true.  My wife and I actually were church shopping as we still believe/enjoy going. We finally joined a parish after going to quite a few multiple times, took over a year. It took us longer than we thought to find a place where we felt comfortable in.
We joined a marriage group too at the new parish.  Had our December Christmas party last Friday with the group at one of the couples home. I believe there were 18 couples for the party.  Had a great time even with both of us working long days. We both told each other we should of started looking  earlier  then we did for our new parish home. 

9 hours ago, InstrEd said:

Sorry Wibbles,  are you cooking it this time....................................

A trip to the shop to get supplies is needed. But my legs are being somewhat uncooperative at the moment. Besides it's pissing it down outside and the wind's gusting at 40 to 50 mph. Not nice.