Microsoft really does not want Windows 11 running on ancient PCs

15 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

Welcome to the world of Linux fanboys. 

I don't need to travel to their world, they seem to be determined to endlessly try to bring it to mine.

The point that most don't seem to get is that in order for a switch to make sense, the target OS would have to work better than Windows 10. It's not like Windows 10 is going to stop working.

As far as malware paranoia, there's too much 3rd-party malware protection software to even list.

Edited by Starship Krupa
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I don't need to travel to their world, they seem to be determined to endlessly try to bring it to mine.

The point that most don't seem to get is that in order for a switch to make sense, the target OS would have to work better than Windows 10. It's not like Windows 10 is going to stop working.

As far as malware paranoia, there's too much 3rd-party malware protection software to even list.

Anti US. Anti MS - they never bash Apple.

They seem like people who are proud of the VAT, or wise fools

Wait till DAW developers not named Reaper stop supporting W10.

Edited by kitekrazy

The thing that confuses me is that since Windows 10 is malware, and Windows 11 is even worse malware, why wouldn't Microsoft want the worse/better malware on the greater number of systems?

Or do you suppose that they make more money off of kickbacks from the hardware manufacturers than they do from the improved data gathering?

Data mining vs. kickbacks. I'd hate to be the one who had to make that decision over at Microsoft!

While I don't like the idea of "hard enforced" hardware limitations, 8th Gen CPUs were released 7 years ago.

ie: A 10+ year old machine with 4-8GB RAM is not going to be ideal for running Win11.

It would be nice if you could make that judgement for yourself... but you'd do better using the older OS and essentially "freezing" the machine in time (as far as OS/Software updates). 

Unfortunately, data-mining (and use) is a major part of our current society.

A Google "Cloud" facility is being built about 10 minutes from our house. 

It looks more like a miliary compound than a computer server facility (it's massive, has cryogenic cooling towers, and they try to hide it from view with huge mounds of dirt ).

Win11 takes more effort to rein-in... but once done, it's a great DAW platform.

To add some perspective, I bought a $4000 Mac Studio (M2 Ultra CPU) for testing/support of clients.

A 14700k based machine can achieve slightly lower round-trip latency (sub 1ms)... and scores higher on Cinebench Multi-Core.

• M2 Ultra scores 28.8k (about the same as a 12900k)
  • 14700k scores 34k
  • 14900k scores 40k

Data-mining will happen with all the above.  Pick your poison.

11 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

The thing that confuses me is that since Windows 10 is malware, and Windows 11 is even worse malware, why wouldn't Microsoft want the worse/better malware on the greater number of systems?

Or do you suppose that they make more money off of kickbacks from the hardware manufacturers than they do from the improved data gathering?

Data mining vs. kickbacks. I'd hate to be the one who had to make that decision over at Microsoft!

I think they like to create strawman arguments like the privacy thing.  These are probably the same people who use Tiktok but it's easier to blame MS.  Most software "spies" on you.

I don't even remember the last time I got malware.  

People who write malicious code only go for larger targets.  That leaves out Apple and Linux.

The least secure devices are our phones. 

3 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

While I don't like the idea of "hard enforced" hardware limitations, 8th Gen CPUs were released 7 years ago.

ie: A 10+ year old machine with 4-8GB RAM is not going to be ideal for running Win11.

It would be nice if you could make that judgement for yourself... but you'd do better using the older OS and essentially "freezing" the machine in time (as far as OS/Software updates). 

Unfortunately, data-mining (and use) is a major part of our current society.

A Google "Cloud" facility is being built about 10 minutes from our house. 

It looks more like a miliary compound than a computer server facility (it's massive, has cryogenic cooling towers, and they try to hide it from view with huge mounds of dirt ).

Win11 takes more effort to rein-in... but once done, it's a great DAW platform.

To add some perspective, I bought a $4000 Mac Studio (M2 Ultra CPU) for testing/support of clients.

A 14700k based machine can achieve slightly lower round-trip latency (sub 1ms)... and scores higher on Cinebench Multi-Core.

• M2 Ultra scores 28.8k (about the same as a 12900k)
  • 14700k scores 34k
  • 14900k scores 40k

Data-mining will happen with all the above.  Pick your poison.

Unfortunately I think the turn off for a Windows OS and plenty of software is changing the paint.   Many of us use Classic Shell to this day.   I guess it's dumbing down by hiding access for experienced users.    

Software development in many areas is more concerned with shiny and new than stability.

I saw a similar article last week.  It's worth pointing out that oldest CPU supporting the SSE4.2 instruction set is the Sandy Bridge Intel i7's, which were 2nd gen i7's ( released in 2011, discontinued in 2013).  My DAW PC is running Ivy Bridge (i7 3770), which is 3rd gen i7 (released 2012, discontinued 2015).

I tried an upgrade to Win 11 on Friday using a Windows 11 iso downloaded direct from Microsoft, and Rufus to transfer it to a bootable USB stick while also removing the TPM / minimum processor requirements.  I also checked the options for Rufus to remove the need for a Microsoft account to log in.

The upgrade worked fine, and most of my software worked without issue - the ones that didn't were due to them needing re-authed for the new OS.