Westwood Roots Untold Strings FREE for Kontakt Player

Starship Krupa

https://www.westwoodinstruments.com/roots/

I've Bapu'd it and can vouch for its usefulness for evolving dark ambient and cinematic textures. I'd say that between this and Soundpaint's free libraries, you've got ambient drone-in-box.

And it looks as if Westwood will be doing what others have started doing and releasing future free Player instruments in this line, so sign up for their newsletter if you want to stay informed.

Kontakt-aware peeplz: did NI change the licensing for Player instruments recently? Because I'm starting to see a LOT more Player-compatible instruments for free. It used to be that the creator of any Player-compatible instrument had to cough up a fee to NI for doing so. Has that been relaxed?

If so, good idea, because it's an excellent way to raise interest in Kontakt. Always has been, they just botched it. I wouldn't have installed or been aware of Kontakt if it hadn't been for DrumMic'a back in the day. Unfortunately, Sennheiser eventually decided it wasn't worth it and stopped issuing licenses. DrumMic'a was both an excellent free drum instrument and also worked for its intended use as a showcase for Sennheiser's line of microphones.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

NI changed the licensing for KONTAKT Player several years ago and they did reduce the costs for a developer to release free Player instruments (I can't recall the specifics,  but I'm pretty sure NI negotiates prices with developers anyhow). Their revenue model employs a cut of the sales for instruments that use the Player, so if a developer decides to dramatically reduce the list price of a library,  they'll want to renegotiate with NI. 

• Like 1

Check it out:
ROOTS a New FREE Instrument Series From Westwood Instruments

So from my understanding Native Instruments is not charging developers for FREE Kontakt 7 instruments up to a certain number of serial keys. I think this is definitely a move on Native Instrument’s part to help encourage users to use Kontakt 7.

A heads up would be to keep your eyes looking across the pond for another amazing free instrument, but don’t stare too long as you wouldn’t want those baby blues to get “Fractured”. 😎

See you Thursday 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Kontakt-aware peeplz: did NI change the licensing for Player instruments recently? Because I'm starting to see a LOT more Player-compatible instruments for free. It used to be that the creator of any Player-compatible instrument had to cough up a fee to NI for doing so. Has that been relaxed?

Yeah, I have the same impression!

But if you are using an offline computer, then this is sad news! Player installation => online! 😞

50 minutes ago, CSistine said:

Player installation => online!

Not a problem here.

My only gripe about online installation/registration is that there seems to be a trend with install/update managers (Native Access, looking at you) not to store username or password. So every time I want to check for updates I have to enter them again. I. do. not. like. this.

I guess it's to deter people from installing the softwareses on their friends' systems. Protection of the (intellectual) property at the cost of inconveniencing the honest.

26 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

Not a problem here.

My only gripe about online installation/registration is that there seems to be a trend with install/update managers (Native Access, looking at you) not to store username or password. So every time I want to check for updates I have to enter them again. I. do. not. like. this.

I guess it's to deter people from installing the softwareses on their friends' systems. Protection of the (intellectual) property at the cost of inconveniencing the honest.

I can accept that they want to protect their products, but still they could provide an offline installation + activation (as many do)!

But lately I've spent most of my money with plugin providers that support user-friendly activation (none/offline key/offline file). And I will be going on to give them my preference! It's not only better for users with offline systems, but it's also much easier to migrate the system/hardware! 😉

• Like 1