IK Multimedia SampleTank 4 MAX v2 for $69.99

cclarry

So....every other month it drops down to $69? SampleTank 5 must be on its way soon.

It's a great package, I snagged it for $49 using Jam Points, direct from IK.

Yes, it includes a lot of duplicate stuff you don't need, but that's because it covers so much ground. You don't have to install everything. SampleTron 2 and Syntronik 2 alone are worth the ticket price. Miroslav Philharmonik 2 is also of value to anyone who wants to get started with orchestral stuff. A buddy of mine snagged it just to get Neil Peart Drums.

Miroslav was the primary target for me, but the hidden gem was SampleTron. If you've ever wanted to play around with the oddball libraries that most 'tron clones omit, they're here, lo-fi sfx and all. Also, to my delight, a vast Optigan library, including some great lo-fi loops.

• Like 7

17 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

So....every other month it drops down to $69? SampleTank 5 must be on its way soon.

Yes, it includes a lot of duplicate stuff you don't need, but that's because it covers so much ground. You don't have to install everything. SampleTron 2 and Syntronik 2 alone are worth the ticket price. Miroslav Philharmonik 2 is also of value to anyone who wants to get started with orchestral stuff. A buddy of mine snagged it just to get Neil Peart Drums.

Miroslav was the primary target for me, but the hidden gem was SampleTron. If you've ever wanted to play around with the oddball libraries that most 'tron clones omit, they're here, lo-fi sfx and all. Also, to my delight, a vast Optigan library, including some great lo-fi loops.

I think that's the worst one not because of the sound but trying to understand the naming of the patches.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Why do people think that?  How many times does an IK product go on sale with no version change?  Almost always.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

I think that's the worst one not because of the sound but trying to understand the naming of the patches.

One of the reasons I call it (Miroslav) "of value" rather than "good." It would be much better if the documentation just gave descriptions of what abbreviations they're using for naming the various articulations. Also, SampleTank's categorizations in its patch browser can be sort of arbitrary. It at least allows you to favorite, which I wish all instruments could do.

Patch naming and browsing ain't so hot in SampleTank in general. And with this package there is SO much stuff.

2 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

Why do people think that?  How many times does an IK product go on sale with no version change?  Almost always.

Is that true for packages this deeply discounted? I don't know. I figured it was a strategy to wring the last bucks out of a package and get a bunch of users who might be interested in the next version.

But it may be more the former than the latter, 'cause now that I think of it, since they give the engine away and only charge you for the libraries, selling the next "version" makes less sense.

2 hours ago, Sergio said:

Is there an upgrade path from Sampletank 3.5 Max?

Sure. I think you can get it for $199.

Better to go with this sale, use some Jam Points, and get it for $50 like I did.

If it's just the improved engine you're interested in, you can upgrade to the ST 4 engine for free by getting SampleTank 4 CS and using it with whatever 3.5 instruments and sounds you already have.

9 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Sure. I think you can get it for $199.

Better to go with this sale, use some Jam Points, and get it for $50 like I did.

If it's just the improved engine you're interested in, you can upgrade to the ST 4 engine for free by getting SampleTank 4 CS and using it with whatever 3.5 instruments and sounds you already have.

Thanks for the answer. I was afraid of that. Well... I can also keep ignoring IK multimedia completely as I am doing for, at least, the last year. At least until they keep this absurd upgrade policy.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2024 at 1:12 AM, Starship Krupa said:

SampleTank 5 must be on its way soon.

Perhaps there will never be a Sampletank 5 ; since ST4, IK has launched the Modos and Pianoverse, using other technologies. ST Stretch is outdated and there's no reason IMHA to develop a new software, which cost money, with these old tech, especially since there are now so many alternatives, and not only Kontakt or Halion

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sergio said:

this absurd upgrade policy

I've heard this before about them and haven't grasped it.

Do you mean offering new licenses for 1/4 the cost of upgrade?

iZotope is another one for that move. I just look at it as "whatever" and see it as my cheap upgrade. At least they have the Jam Points from past purchases that you can apply for up to 30% off.

I see them as Chaotic Neutral at worst. To me personally, Chaotic Good, due to all the freebies they've flowed me over the years.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I've heard this before about them and haven't grasped it.

Do you mean offering new licenses for 1/4 the cost of upgrade?

I mistook the products; I already have SampleTank 4 Max. I was thinking about Total Studio Max, that I have at version 3.5.

I agree that IK frequently does good deals and I already got them many times before. But considering all the money I paid for everything I have from them it's not unreasonable to expect that I should pay less for the next version than someone who never spent a cent with them before.

But it's good for the new customers. No way to disagree with that.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2024 at 12:05 AM, DamienF said:

Perhaps there will never be a Sampletank 5 ; since ST4, IK has launched the Modos and Pianoverse, using other technologies. ST Stretch is outdated and there's no reason IMHA to develop a new software, which cost money, with these old tech, especially since there are now so many alternatives, and not only Kontakt or Halion

I love the Modo Basses.  I think they may be great at sample modeling.  I'd rather see them go in this direction instead of the bloat that surpasses Soundpaint.