Help I deleted a track and now can't find it in Undo or Revert = Is there some track work folder it might still be in?

Roy Slough

Question

Hello, While I was busy working on Bass clips I deleted what I thought was a redundant Drum Midi track.  Now I have finished with Bass I have lost the chorus drum parts which were probably in the deleted Midi Drum Track (I had 2 or 3 to compare different drum patterns in various sections)

I cannot find it in Undo, undo history Or Revert.  Is there any chance it is still in some Cakewalk work folder where I could retrieve it.

Obviously I could re-make it but it was a couple of hours work to make.

Thanks

6 answers to this question

No, MIDI content is saved directly in the project and can be lost if too many levels of Undo are accumulated between saves, or if you save after it's deleted without changing the project name. This is one of many reasons to use Save As with a suffix added to the name after major edits (like deleting a track that's not empty) so you have backups of earlier versions. You might also consider increasing the number of levels of Undo.

2 hours ago, reginaldStjohn said:

Do you have auto-save enabled? If so you might have an earlier version from which you can recover the lost midi.

There is  no auto-save  but there are 4 versions configured. (None now available since last save)

Yep we all have lost work from time to time and we all come up with ways to prevent it from happening again. I’m sure you won’t do it again.  
At the end  of a busy day I take the project folder and drag and drop it to my backup drive. I prefer this over save as. 
Save as is great but then I open the wrong version from the start screen the next day!! No big deal once I sort that out.  
But I have 4 different places that important projects will be stored. 

Working drive G 

Back up drive F. 

124 GB USB stick and my Laptop. 

And then every so often everything is also backed up to an 2 TB drive that just about has all my work from the last decade on it. 

Since project files are so small I save constantly and increment the filename with a note in the name of what I was doing (new drums, new lead vocals, etc.) I also run a batch file to copy all new files to a separate drive. I don't depend on autosave.

At some point I have the option of deleting early projects if I am sure I won't need them but I usually keep all of them until I am done with the song.

This has saved my butt from jerky and fumble-finger moves many times.

• Like 1