Today's eclipse...

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/eclipse-glasses-fake-counterfeit/

HOW TO TEST WHETHER ECLIPSE GLASSES ARE SAFE

• While lab tests are the best way to determine whether glasses meet the ISO standard, Fienberg says there is a three-part test people can do at home if they’re concerned their eclipse viewers aren’t up to the task.
    • First, put your glasses on indoors and look around. The only things you should be able to see are very bright lights, such as a halogen bulb or a smartphone flashlight.
    • Then, if the glasses pass the indoor test, bring them outside—but don’t look at the sun just yet. Look around: it should be too dark to see distant hills, trees or even the ground.
    • If that second test is passed, keep the glasses on and quickly glance at the sun. You should comfortably see a bright, sharp-edged round disk.
    • If your glasses pass all three tests, they are probably safe to wear.
  • Fienberg points out that it’s best to use them for only a few seconds every minute or so during the eclipse;
  • this cautious approach is how they’re intended to be used. And if you don’t trust your glasses for April’s celestial event, you could try to find a reliable pair in the next two decades. “You only have to wait 20 years for another really good eclipse year in the [United] States,” Fienberg says.

1 hour ago, craigb said:

Had this link sent to me.  We won't be under the path, but you might be!

https://science.nasa.gov/eclipses/future-eclipses/eclipse-2024/

I am, but the weather isn't cooperating. However, having been through enough eclipses, we will see something. A change in color, darker... something!!

Let me be clear... if your outside!! Gotta get outside to see any effect.

• Haha 1

Actually, I've off and on practiced a form of Yoga called Surya (or Sungazing) for over four decades.  Although you don't stare at the sun when it's right above (usually just the first 20 degrees in the morning and the last 20 degrees around sunset), I can stare directly at the sun without blinking.  Even though I don't live in the UK and can actually SEE the sun! 😜

Also, I'm now in my 60's and still have 20/10 vision (i.e., "better" than perfect)!

YMMV.

14 hours ago, craigb said:

Actually, I've off and on practiced a form of Yoga called Surya (or Sungazing) for over four decades.  Although you don't stare at the sun when it's right above (usually just the first 20 degrees in the morning and the last 20 degrees around sunset), I can stare directly at the sun without blinking.  Even though I don't live in the UK and can actually SEE the sun! 😜

Also, I'm now in my 60's and still have 20/10 vision (i.e., "better" than perfect)!

YMMV.

yep, sunrise and sunset are ok, stonehenge an all that 🌞