Start Screen - NOT RESPONDING

Hi Guys,

When I open CW ( Latest version ). By default the START SCREEN is set to open. CW gives me a "Not Responding" and takes a while to present the start screen, does eventually.

So I went into PREFERENCES, Display, Other and unticked SHOW START SCREEN. Apply

i then closed CW and re opened it. All good, CW loaded as expected, nice and fast. Open a project nice and fast. Closed the project went to File menu, selected Start Screen .. same issue. Up top hard left by the Cakewalk Logo - NOT RESPONDING.

So issue is with the start screen window it seems. Any way to sort this I wonder?

My system spec - Core i5, 8GB Ram, 1TB SSD, Windows 10 with latest updates 

Which tab of the start screen is it defaulting to for you? Also where are you located? 

If it's taking long to show the data on the online projects or demo projects page it's likely because of Internet delays in accessing the data. 

Also can you switch to a different tab while it's waiting?

1 hour ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Which tab of the start screen is it defaulting to for you? Also where are you located? 

If it's taking long to show the data on the online projects or demo projects page it's likely because of Internet delays in accessing the data. 

Also can you switch to a different tab while it's waiting?

Hi Noel,

Here is a screenshot when it opens on the RECENT PROJECTS tab:

BLCWStartScreen.thumb.jpg.bc1bfc843fe950dc3c8307bc3de90fed.jpg

The projects listed to the right - some of them would have been opened yesterday over the peer to peer network via my router from another system. So that might be it? Is there a way to clear that list? Also is there a way to clear the list in the FILE menu?

Cheers

Aidan

The only way I’m aware of is to open a bunch of Projects that are stored on that computer. I think it only keeps about 12. 
I’ve had issues in the past when opening projects from a storage drive that was now disconnected. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/4/2024 at 10:15 AM, aidan o driscoll said:

Hi Noel,

Here is a screenshot when it opens on the RECENT PROJECTS tab:

BLCWStartScreen.thumb.jpg.bc1bfc843fe950dc3c8307bc3de90fed.jpg

The projects listed to the right - some of them would have been opened yesterday over the peer to peer network via my router from another system. So that might be it? Is there a way to clear that list? Also is there a way to clear the list in the FILE menu?

Cheers

Aidan

This is definitely the problem. If it's taking long to Open the files listed (to show project metadata) then it will slow down the load.

There is no direct way to clear the list today other than temporarily hiding the files and opening the app. That would flush the list if they are missing.

On 4/4/2024 at 1:29 PM, aidan o driscoll said:

So I went into PREFERENCES, Display, Other and unticked SHOW START SCREEN. Apply

i then closed CW and re opened it. All good, CW loaded as expected, nice and fast. Open a project nice and fast.

This is exactly why I've worked WITHOUT Start Screen for years now! Like that, no black magic accessing internet or not available resources (I prefer transparency)! Also, I disabled automatic plugin scan (do it manually, as I know if I have added/changed a plugin)!

Since then I've never had any starting problems or delays. Runs perfect and starts quite fast even on my old laptop!

opened yesterday over the peer to peer network via my router from another system

possibly following Noels advice - turn off the network or otherwise hide access to the peer system and reopen the app. if that does clear it great.

another bit of advice, don't open files on peer networked systems 🙂 use your windows explorer to copy the project to your local disk. then open them. otherwise you are (like any other app using network located files) you're at the mercy of the peer system to stream the content. the exception are dedicated NAS services on a high speed network which are mapped to your system as a disk drive (no UNC as many apps fail).