Comping and tempo changes: A change of the comping start point results in an pause at the end

Hello there,

this is my 2nd attept to write about a comping problem, since my first post was deleted (I accidently posted screenshot of the beta sonar version - sorry, my bad)...

By the time, I discoverd that the comping tool doesn´t like tempo changes.

We programmed our project files with several tempo changes and recorded the drums. Since we need to do some editing, we used the comping tool to prelisten and edit the tracks.

If we just use the comping tool to select a part of the track everything is fine (Screenshot (53)). But if we want to finetune the sample and change the beginning, the result will end with a pause at the end of that part (Screenshot (55)).

If we delete all tempo changes, no pause is created, but we'd loose the correct click of the metronome and all convenience that comes with it (i. e. sample a certain part).

Is there any idea how to keep the programmed timings, but also use that comping tool, since it makes editing way more easy?

Regards

Lutz

Screenshot (53).png

Screenshot (55).png

• Like 1

I read both post very quickly, but save the project under a new name like song 01. Do it again (backup lol)!take song 02 and bounce the time adjusted clip, or export a .wav file from it. 
Use this clip or song to do the editing you need. 

• Like 1

Thanks for this post man. This was driving me nuts last night and this morning.

Does CW know about this issue? It kinda hurts those of us whose influences are Rush as opposed to Taylor Swift 😁

the challenge is the "takes" in physical form are not in parallel. they are part of the long WAV file, and takes are simply time marked sections of that file which are then shown to you in parallel. so trying to tweak the takes "in time" are generally not easily done - either through programming or physically altering the file -- which is the option Max shared.

the other option is not to use take lanes and record each take to a separate track. if using this option, you can end up with a lot of tracks - so i like to export the instrumental part (wher the arrangement is mainly settled) and then use that in a separate projects for vocals only (i may do the same for tactic soloing as well). then once you've comped things, export the tracks and insert them into your main project.

• Like 2

best bet is to only comp based on the performance quality and then use something like melodyne etc to tweak gross timing, and then inphase or align2 etc to get the final phase alignment. or go to the 3 mic trick 🙂 basically use the tool for what its best at. 

Edited by Glenn Stanton

It seems some posters here have encountered the problem and understand it, but I don't see a tempo change in the region being edited, and it's not clear to me what action was taken between the first and second screenshot. I'd like to understand fully so I can reproduce it and submit a bug-demo project to the Bakers.

I have submitted several test projects that exhibit the issue. It was a long time ago, old Sonar Platinum, that they said they could reproduce it but I never saw a fix. There is some magic recipe that I could not consistently preproduce except during normal comping.

It most likely shows up if you have sections that do not fully overlap. Meaning, record a few takes between, say, bars 4-8.  Then set a loop between bars 7 and 10 a do a few takes.  I think it is this clips only partially overlapping that is part of the recipe. 

On 3/14/2024 at 10:01 AM, GI Lutz said:

But if we want to finetune the sample and change the beginning

So if I'm understanding correctly that this means dragging the clips to start earlier, it's to be expected that the clip lengths will stay the same and a gap will open up after them. To avoid that you would need to lasso the clips in that segment and slip-stretch the start times by holding Ctrl+Shift and dragging the start. I can't say that I've ever tried to combine comping with stretching, but my first attempt seemed to work as expected.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/16/2024 at 11:18 PM, David Baay said:

So if I'm understanding correctly that this means dragging the clips to start earlier, it's to be expected that the clip lengths will stay the same and a gap will open up after them. To avoid that you would need to lasso the clips in that segment and slip-stretch the start times by holding Ctrl+Shift and dragging the start. I can't say that I've ever tried to combine comping with stretching, but my first attempt seemed to work as expected.

First of all thanks for all the replies. Sorry for not getting back earlier. I record in my free time and work was quite demanding.

I made a short video to try to explain the mentioned behaviour. I defenitly don´t want to stretch clips. I just want to alter the beginning of the clips that are made with the comping tool. It's hard to explain all in english, since it already would be in german. I hope the video shows my problem.

Getting rid of the metrome does seem to do the trick, but we´d loose click and the ability to quickly exchange parts (i. e. a drum fill).
Another way would be oldshool-cutting every single clip, but I cannot believe that the comping tool can just be used in one single tempo...

• 2 weeks later...