Groove clip looping not working ( for me!)

19 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

so, using the smart tool you're seeing this icon on the edge of the clip you're trying to extend?

image.png.fdb71c5f800613c52b486ce4a29ba7fb.png

in this example, it was a single measure using Step Sequencer to create the MIDI and then groove loop it then stretch using smart tool. so far, i have not be able to reproduce this issue - in existing or new projects.

Hi Glenn,

Just did this again with the smart tool and yes the cursor changes as per your screenshot. Now I know this seems unlikely but I guarantee last time I did exactly this the cursor didnt change at all, I tried several times.Maybe its me but CW seems to do things then decide not too. But so far it works now thanks. 

A question; is there a quick reliable way of replacing Karaoke version click tracks with a midi hi hat? Obviously its what triggered my request for help, but whilst I now seem to have the groove clip looing thing working, I still struggle to get it to match the Karaoke version click track. It starts off in time then creeps out of synch, I wonder is the downloaded click track out a little?

You can just drag and drop it into a MIDI or Instrument track from wherever you downloaded it, and it should be immediately ready to roll out copies.  It will appear short of 4 beats because the notes are only 1/32 long and it ends on the last one, but once drag past the the end of the first bar, you'll see the beveled corners where it starts to repeat. Also, since you said you didn't want anything too distinct, I set the velocity at 72, but that's easily changed any number of ways, including non-destructively by just putting a Vel+ offset on the track.

1 hour ago, RICHARD HUTCHINS said:

I see a long dotted line with 76 bpm throughout.

to me, that would seem to indicate you only have a single tempo - 76BPM. as David mentioned, you need to drag the edge of the clip to the next full measure (in the examples) to see the "cut". one good way to land on the beat is to set your snap to 1/4. for measures, setting it to 1 or 1/2 will make landing there easier.

• Like 1

It's possible the project tempo needs to be tweaked to match the actual audio tempo. A quick way to do this is to count out 8 measures, Tab/Shift+Tab to the transient that should be at 9:01:000, and if it's not exactly there at 76bpm, hit Shift+M to open the Set Measure/Beat dialog, enter Measure 9, Beat 1 (probably already guessed by CbB), and OK. CbB will modify the initial tempo as necessary to align the timline with the audio at that point. If it's a fixed tempo it should be pretty well aligned through the end of the song. If it still drifts a bit, you can get more accuracy by undoing the original Set, and doing one further out like 33:01 and also manually putting the Now time exactly on the transient with snap disabled rather then depending on CbB's transient detection to get it right on the money. If the tempo still drifts at that point, then it wasn't recorded to a click, and you'll have to Set more points to line it up every 4-8 measures or more.

Struggling here.

I can see that when the SI hi hat starts off at 75bpm as per the backing track, first 2 beats are fine and then it gets slightly ahead of the click track after a few bars. But the temp map says it is 75bpm and surely the midi hi hat must follow the 75bpm project tempo? So why is it going out of sync? One of the tracks must be wrong. 

Untitled.png

typically the audio is going to be the variable tempo. unless someone really went out of their way to humanize any MIDI sequences. you may be entering the world of "audio snap" 🙂 or the world of "remix" where you convert the instrument audio to MIDI, quantize it etc and use virtual instruments to recreate it, then tweak the vocal and solo parts over that...

Edited by Glenn Stanton

Yes, if they're going out of sync, it's the audio tempo that's out of sync (or varying) against the project tempo. You can confirm this for yourself by enabling the Playback metronome and hearing that the MIDI click stays in sync with it. I'd be happy to take a look at it if the track(s) are freely available somewhere or you can share a zipped copy of the project folder.

Yes I agree, it must be the audio track. I can send a copy if you want, its on Karaoke Version ( "Imagine") but they charge for it. ( fair enough!) Or... I can use my Juno and tap along to the click track I suppose, a method that suits my Luddite level of understanding!

No need for audio snap anymore. Just drag the song to the timeline and that instantly creates a tempo map. I do this daily just about. 
If it’s a multi track project use the drum or bass track. Choose the percussive setting. 

8 minutes ago, RICHARD HUTCHINS said:

"Imagine"

Hmmm... yeah, if it's based on the original Lennon tracks, that will definitely not be following a click. P.M. me a link to a shared upload and I can get you started at least with a rough alignment. If it includes a synced click track, it should be quick.

2 minutes ago, John Vere said:

No need for audio snap anymore. Just drag the song to the timeline and that instantly creates a tempo map.

I personally dislike the way Melodyne interpolates tempo changes where none exist, and it can make big mistakes when the rhythmic pattern changes at the chorus. Also, it generally can't handle any significant rubato but that shouldn't be an issue in this context. Worth a try, but I would still opt for the manual method.

1 hour ago, David Baay said:

I personally dislike the way Melodyne interpolates tempo changes where none exist, and it can make big mistakes when the rhythmic pattern changes at the chorus. Also, it generally can't handle any significant rubato but that shouldn't be an issue in this context. Worth a try, but I would still opt for the manual method.

I must have done 30 cover tunes this way and I’d say it’s at least 80% successful for me. The few it screwed up on is only if the song has a breakdown in the middle or something weird. 

And yes Imagine has just that in a few spots but it takes less than a minute to find out if it works! So always worth a try. 
I kinda have a feeling that pause when he sings real hi definitely slows down. 
I know how to fix those spots but we will not burden our good friend Richard with those sort of details 😬

What has increased my success rate is first split the song into stems with Next. 
Then I drag just the drum track to the timeline. 

Edited by John Vere

On 3/14/2024 at 12:21 PM, RICHARD HUTCHINS said:

I see a long dotted line with 76 bpm throughout.

On 3/16/2024 at 1:13 PM, RICHARD HUTCHINS said:

SI hi hat starts off at 75bpm as per the backing track

76/ 75               ?? 

On 3/14/2024 at 2:51 AM, RICHARD HUTCHINS said:

Maybe its me but CW seems to do things then decide not too

I've grappled with this since X1 so it's not you.  When things go sideways I restart the computer and try again with a new project to reproduce the issue.  Usually it takes a day or 2 before things go back to normal.  Maybe the PC is having a bad day.  They're only human too.  9_9

• Like 1