Ableton Live 12 - Ready to be purchased

Niky Serrano

13 hours ago, Nicolas T. said:

well, I've created directories, sub-directories, and sorted all my plugins (too many, thanks to this forum...).
I can find my way around very easily this way...    🙂

I see. I guess you created folders for each category, like EQ, compressor, and so on.

But the downside of this is that sometimes it's difficult to decide in which folder a plugin belongs. Like when something is both, a compressor and a limiter, do you put it in the compressor folder or limiter? 

With the tagging system it's better because I can give plugins multiple tags, so a compressor+limiter plugin shows up when I filter by compressor but also when I filter by limiter.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, audioschmaudio said:

I guess you created folders for each category, like EQ, compressor, and so on.

I have a first selection by brand, and then I know the plugins well (well, the ones I use most often), so I can make the selection very quickly.  I also use favorites/bookmarks a lot.

Some had to get a refund because their processor doesn't support AVX2.   everything is getting "Apple like" with hardware.   Casual users are into the if it aint broke don't fix it with hardware.   Those are shoes not everyone walks in to understand.   

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

Some had to get a refund because their processor doesn't support AVX2.   everything is getting "Apple like" with hardware.   Casual users are into the if it aint broke don't fix it with hardware.   Those are shoes not everyone walks in to understand.   

Oh. I don't know if mine does. I don't even know what AVX2 is. What happens if my processor doesn't support it? Are there certain things that will make Live crash if it doesn't? 😨

1 hour ago, audioschmaudio said:

Oh. I don't know if mine does. I don't even know what AVX2 is. What happens if my processor doesn't support it? Are there certain things that will make Live crash if it doesn't? 😨

If your (Windows machine) cpu doesn't support AVX2, Ableton 12 won't even open. I had that with my other computer. As for refunds, I think I'm SOL since I got it from a plugin store instead of Ableton straight.

You also had to really look for the new requirement too, since it wasn't really brought up as a huge a thing in any of the pre-release communication & advertising. And you'd think that on Windows (despite Windows 11's TPM-shenanigans), a DAW would be the last thing to have a huge requirement change between versions. Sure, system resource usage always goes up and that's to be expected but a critical blocker that prevents you even from using it? Can't think of too many occasions where that's been the case with creative software.

Also from a quick browse through Ableton's forums, I kinda grew a healthy dislike to a good portion of the userbase there as they were pissing on users being confused about the requirement. "You shouldn't use old hardware" or whatever the heck. It's just dumb as quite often, said old hardware is more than capable at running everything else that's current. Even then, as generations shift, most people are more than ready to accept drawbacks, but unless you're talking about the latest and greatest vidya games and GPUs... monumental requirement shifts are really rare. It never seizes to amaze me when consumers are actually happy to embrace planned obsolescence.

Speaking of games. Apparently AVX2 has been a problem with some newer titles as well in the past few years. From what I gather, apparently the requirement is merely a flag that the devs tick on, as otherwise non-AVX2 supporting CPUs would use an older, slower command set instead of the AVX2 thing or whatever. Then again, I'm not a dev and the explanation seems a bit too simple to be true.

But yeah. While I can live with it myself and can accept reasons for change, I'm still amazed how Ableton really didn't have flashing red lights around the new requirement. With Apple's silicon changes, things like that were kinda expected but on Windows... Windows 11 & TPM 2.0 is the only thing I can think of from the past 10-15 years (and even the TPM requirement can be skipped with know-how.)

Edited by Kirean
  • Great Idea 1

If you have an old Intel processor you have a better chance.

I'm pretty sure my i7 4790 will work.

I also have an old AMD FX series that will not work.

Everything is becoming "apple" like with hardware.

There's that DAW named Reaper which will work on almost anything, even Linux.

I don't think the world will end if people are still stuck on Live 11.  Ableton will still update it which puts them in a league by themselves.

59 minutes ago, Brian Lawler said:

CPU-Z from CPUID.com is a very handy little (free) utility that tells you about everything you want to know about your system.  I've been using it for years.

2024-03-12_5-42-28.jpg.d693a6bf3958f6f3fc7d6950b57ad587.jpg

intel have similar but didn't show enough detail (eg, didn't show avx)

I loaded Ableton 12 on two computers, both running Windows 10. A desktop running winpro and the other running the home version on a lappy. No issues on either one that I can tell so far. 

The only differences I noted was my desktop loaded a new C++ version before it loaded everything else. My other computer didn't seem to have done that.

The new file setting will take some getting used to. Not sure if it "seen" all of my plugs and instruments at this point.

1 hour ago, Tim Smith said:

I loaded Ableton 12 on two computers, both running Windows 10. A desktop running winpro and the other running the home version on a lappy. No issues on either one that I can tell so far. 

The only differences I noted was my desktop loaded a new C++ version before it loaded everything else. My other computer didn't seem to have done that.

The new file setting will take some getting used to. Not sure if it "seen" all of my plugs and instruments at this point.

For me that would be a blessing.

26 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

For me that would be a blessing.

Sorry things are not going so well. I remember a few years ago when Cubase updated their license center. That took several direct emails to technical service reps to get it ironed out.

12 beta has been out for a year, so I'm surprised a work around wasn't presented. They have lots of mac users making this a bigger deal.

On 3/9/2024 at 5:36 AM, Nicolas T. said:

Same here... I'm really disappointed by the new explorer/tagging systems... perhaps It's not suited for people with so much plugins ? I miss the "old" live 11...   

I'll admit that part of it threw me for a loop. I am not organized. I realize this is supposed to help, but now I need to go through my 1000's of plug ins and try to make sure I have all of them.

Compared to cakewalk and others, I never liked their scan system. Why can you only select a few folders when plug in makers put them all over the place?

• Like 1

Live's browser went downhill after Live 8.   If you have other folders added to the browser it scans them with that little circle spinning. It reminds me of Gigastudio.  

The more folders you add the larger you Live app data gets because of it's db file. 

I'm gonna try making something using only their synths.  I went thru a few presets of Analog that I liked.

I always buy the Udemy tutorials by Jason Allen and he goes through the Suite with enough info on each instrument to get you started without boring you to death.   I think the intro to Live 12 is free on Udemy

5 hours ago, Tim Smith said:

Sorry things are not going so well. I remember a few years ago when Cubase updated their license center. That took several direct emails to technical service reps to get it ironed out.

12 beta has been out for a year, so I'm surprised a work around wasn't presented. They have lots of mac users making this a bigger deal.

It's not that as I have so much stuff that it can be overwhelming.  I think it's time to try Live in it's proprietary state.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

It's not that as I have so much stuff that it can be overwhelming.  I think it's time to try Live in it's proprietary state.

That's a good idea ! But without Kontakt... (guitars samples are useless for my use  in ableton core packs ; no round Robin ?) 

On 3/10/2024 at 2:09 PM, Nicolas T. said:

"dynamic " folder ?    😉

I was hoping that with the new Ableton, they would remove the limit on the categories. I now have:

Master & Favorites
Synths & Drums
EQ, channelstrips & filters
Dynamics (so yes, all the compressors and limiters)
Distortion & saturation
Reverb & delay
Utility & creative

Some have overlap and I just tag them in multiple categories. Clippers can be used as a dynamics tool but also as a creative distorion tool. Something like a chorus would fall in the Utility & creative category, but some multi fx span over 4 cateogries.

7 hours ago, Nicolas T. said:

That's a good idea ! But without Kontakt... (guitars samples are useless for my use  in ableton core packs ; no round Robin ?) 

Live is an EDM first DAW.   I always think of deleting more factory packs. Their orchestra ones remind me of soundfonts. I'd bet anything in Kontakt that translated into the sampler would not sound the same.  Project Sam and Spitfire have made packs but I wouldn't buy them.