Ableton Live 12 - Ready to be purchased

Niky Serrano

On 3/5/2024 at 4:32 PM, jngnz said:

W T F. Going from Cubase to Ableton is like going from Porsche to Bobby Car. What’s there to hate about Cubase? High upgrade prices?

Different beasts really.

Live session view is a springboard for getting ideas down quick, I always finish off in a linear daw, cubase, reaper, pro tools over the years. 😎

7 hours ago, Technostica said:

I do own the upgrade but I am so conservative that I probably won’t upgrade for about three to six months to let things settle down. I still have a lot to learn in 11 Suite so no hurry.

Demo was cpu heavy and I got an email from a vendor that some 3rd party Max4Live will not work.  Abelton will fix it.  They are one of the rare developers that when there is a new release they drop working on the previous version. They still improve Live 11.

I create in Ableton and mix in Pro Tools.

You can save custom racks in Ableton and they are their own individual file. I set up a Stream Deck with icons for all of my effects, in category folders. When I am being creative all I have to do is tab a button (or two if I want to go in a folder) and I have my effect added to the track. The creativity power of the speed and ease of use is unmatched. 

Can you remember all the Reverbs or delays you have installed? I don't have to - hit the delay folder and pursue the two dozen or so icons and choose the spice I want to use. :)

I find Ableton awesome for the creative process.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, smallstonefan said:

I create in Ableton and mix in Pro Tools.

You can save custom racks in Ableton and they are their own individual file. I set up a Stream Deck with icons for all of my effects, in category folders. When I am being creative all I have to do is tab a button (or two if I want to go in a folder) and I have my effect added to the track. The creativity power of the speed and ease of use is unmatched. 

Can you remember all the Reverbs or delays you have installed? I don't have to - hit the delay folder and pursue the two dozen or so icons and choose the spice I want to use. :)

I find Ableton awesome for the creative process.

Nice. I didn't even know about Stream Deck. Looks awesome. But pricey.
I love Live 12's new tagging system that allows me to tag everything (except for folders, unfortunately, but I can use the old color tags for that). Now I can also categorize and filter my plugins by type. I totally can't remember all my reverbs or delays or saturators or channel strips or eqs, etc. This comes in so handy. 😍

• Like 3

I have never seen the need to use two DAWS. I simply build my stuff as audio takes in on my left monitor on the loops section. Then I arrange it to my liking. I have both loops and linear on two screens. 

Then I hit record and it all records to the right screen or linear.(there is a dedicated button for that process)  

I will then either load the export as a wav into TRacks or Ozone for mastering.  If at any time I wanted to rearrange the song it's simple since the loops section is most similar to Cakewalk's arranger section but works much better. JUst drag things where you like them and make another take to linear.

I have Cubase pro and see no need for it.

16 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

Roar and Meld are missing for me and others in Suite.  Resetting Live did not work.  Still in beta IMO.  Not gonna delete Live 11 if that is the fix.

Strange. They show up here. I've got 12.0 for Windows (Build 2024-02-19_5094b92fa5) installed.

7 minutes ago, audioschmaudio said:

Strange. They show up here. I've got 12.0 for Windows (Build 2024-02-19_5094b92fa5) installed.

Do you have previous versions of Live installed?  They exist in Live but not in the browser.  The folders with the presets will launch them or a project file. Others are having the same issue. 

1 minute ago, kitekrazy said:

Do you have previous versions of Live installed?  They exist in Live but not in the browser.  The folders with the presets will launch them or a project file. Others are having the same issue. 

Yes, I also have Live 11 installed.

In Live 12 they show up normally, as expected:

grafik.png.1b8487e33c7e07653a0daa60b5a13b54.png

grafik.png.4f6865bad32c5e5206d0794b939a62a1.png

I have no clue what I did but now it works.  The browser seems to have issues.

Now I can look forward to find out which Max4Live devices I bought from developers are broken.

Trying to fix software on my systems seems to be a new hobby.  I'll get bored if something actually works.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Trying to fix software on my systems seems to be a new hobby. 

My new hobby is tagging all my plugins. I have way too many 😭 As I go through them all, I see some that I don't even recognise by name. Often I have to look up on the internet to find out what it actually does. That's the downside of hunting deals and freebies. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, audioschmaudio said:

My new hobby is tagging all my plugins. I have way too many 😭 As I go through them all, I see some that I don't even recognise by name. Often I have to look up on the internet to find out what it actually does. That's the downside of hunting deals and freebies. 

Same here... I'm really disappointed by the new explorer/tagging systems... perhaps It's not suited for people with so much plugins ? I miss the "old" live 11...   

55 minutes ago, Nicolas T. said:

Same here... I'm really disappointed by the new explorer/tagging systems... perhaps It's not suited for people with so much plugins ? I miss the "old" live 11...   

Why is that? I find the new one much better. What exactly is it that you found better in the old explorer?

4 hours ago, audioschmaudio said:

Luckily I've done that about a year ago and they transfered perfectly. Except for most Ableton stock effects and instruments. But that's 5 minutes work tops to categorize them.

I will still record my new jam in the old one though today, just to be sure. I will switch somewhere this week probably after some more testing.

7 hours ago, audioschmaudio said:

Imagine using a DAW in its proprietary state. 

58 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Imagine using a DAW in its proprietary state. 

Sometimes I think I should've. I saw this TikToker who uses no plugins, just Ableton Live stock instruments and effects and he makes much better music than me. Maybe because he spent more time actually making music rather than chasing plugin deals, and downloading and installing plugins.

From all the plugins that I got I only really need and use around 5%.

6 hours ago, audioschmaudio said:

Why is that? I find the new one much better. What exactly is it that you found better in the old explorer?

well, I've created directories, sub-directories, and sorted all my plugins (too many, thanks to this forum...).
I can find my way around very easily this way...    🙂

3 hours ago, audioschmaudio said:

Sometimes I think I should've. I saw this TikToker who uses no plugins, just Ableton Live stock instruments and effects and he makes much better music than me. Maybe because he spent more time actually making music rather than chasing plugin deals, and downloading and installing plugins.

From all the plugins that I got I only really need and use around 5%.

I think that's what Live users who use it live for the EDM crowd do.