Keyboard shortcut to select midi to the beginning?

Ronman

Question

Sometime in the past someone here, wish I could name them, told me about the Shift+Alt+F6 shortcut to extend a selection from a selected MIDI event in the PRV all the way to the end.  Lifesaver!

Now I'm looking for a similar shortcut that goes the other direction, from a selected event all the way to the beginning.  I don't find it in the cheat sheets of shortcuts I've found.  Where's it listed (if it exists)?

8 answers to this question

Back before SONAR X1 was released, the default shortcuts for From=Beginning and Thru=End were Ctrl+F9 and Ctrl+F10. I restored these shortcuts when they were removed because I had over 10 years of muscle memory invested in them. I did the same for From=Now (F9), Thru=Now (F10), Go to From (F7) and Go to Thru (F8).

At the time, there were no shortcuts assigned to any of these by default so far as I know. I was never aware of Shift+Alt+F6 and don't know when that might have been implemented. I suspect it's a one-off, and default shortcuts for the other permutations mentioned above were never re-defined.

I recommend you create your own for all of them using whatever key combos make sense and are not already assigned to something else you need.

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

I changed all the short cuts I actually need to be all one letter keystrokes. I still have a few spares. I even got tired of  having to use Shift B to hide/show the bus pane and changed it to L. Not sure what L was but it was nothing I ever used.  

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, 57Gregy said:

So, you want to extend an event all the way to the end, or the start, not just go to the end or the start, correct?
FWIW, Shift+Alt+F6 does nothing on my machine that I can see.

Almost.  I don't extend an event, I extend the selection by first selecting one or more events, then Shift-Alt-F6,  and it keeps that selection but also selects everything else all the way to the end.  I didn't create the shortcut, it just worked once it was pointed out to me.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ronman said:

Sometime in the past someone here, wish I could name them, told me about the Shift+Alt+F6 shortcut to extend a selection from a selected MIDI event in the PRV all the way to the end.  Lifesaver!

When I first read this ^^^^, I also thought that you were making a selection and then extending the events selected to last until the end.

4 hours ago, Ronman said:

Almost.  I don't extend an event, I extend the selection by first selecting one or more events, then Shift-Alt-F6,  and it keeps that selection but also selects everything else all the way to the end.  I didn't create the shortcut, it just worked once it was pointed out to me.

This clarifies it for me and presumably for others as well.  

I almost never use the Piano Roll View, but I tested the Shift-Alt-F6 trick to change the Selection from whatever it was to keep the initial selection's From point and change the Thru point to the End of the project.   

Correct me if I am wrong, you want a shortcut that will change the From point to Start of the project and keep the Thru point from your initial selection.

If you look at Menu Bar > Edit > Select, you should see the relevant short cuts.

You want Alt + F6 if I understand you correctly. In fact, I just tried it and it worked.

Thanks for adding to my understanding of how to use the PRV.

Edited by User 905133
edits
  • Thanks 1

BTW, I checked the handy keyboard shortcut tool (great for finding what keys and key combos are assigned to which functions and for reassigning shortcuts)--Preferences > Customization > Keyboard Shortcuts. 

Without a project loaded, the Locate Key button said Alt + F6 and Alt + Shift + F6 were unassigned. Once I loaded a project, the key combos were shown to be assigned as From = Start and Thru = End respectively.  Since keyboard shortcuts are affected by customizations (including custom Workspaces), YMMV.

Edited by User 905133
fixed typo
  • Thanks 1