Cakewalk by BandLab praised as best free DAW (for now)

"I was wrong; it's actually badass."

'nuf said.

My only complaint is that watchers might be more convinced of its badassness if he showed something like the Gloss EQ flyout instead of Sonitus compressor and the Step Sequencer instead of Step Recorder.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, David Baay said:

My only complaint is that watchers might be more convinced of its badassness if he showed something like the Gloss EQ flyout instead of Sonitus compressor and the Step Sequencer instead of Step Recorder.

He may not have even found them in whatever short time he spent with the program.

I had to patiently explain to a former Cakewalk user in the comments that Step Sequencer was still a part of Cakewalk, just no longer in the main view by default.

No control over what reviewers are going to say, unfortunately. And he is demonstrating the eq plug-in that ships with Cakewalk, in all its glory. ProChannel modules are plug-ins, but they don't go in the main FX bins, you can't float their UI's, etc. Some people might be less inclined to use them for those reasons.

I think that Cakewalk would benefit from some more modern-looking bundled FX. I nominated the Kilohearts Essentials package as a bundling partner. Got kind of a lukewarm response here on the forum. The disagreement seemed to be along the lines of "just let people go download whatever they want for free," but as we see here, people still put stock in bundled plug-ins. Like it or not, they are considered when a DAW is reviewed.

• Like 1

i dunno, i think except for the DX basis (old API and some potential for timing issues),  and the lack of audio "flavoring", the Sonitus Compressor is a nice lightweight utilitarian plugin with side chaining and enough settings to handle most basic compressor tasks. between the gate, compressor and multiband compressor, fairly decent set of free plugins w. perhaps a fix for the DX issues and scalable UI.

image.thumb.png.2cb1589b37cc9e0ce39ca5a716865770.png

Edited by Glenn Stanton
  • Like 2

The trouble is, they are all excellent plugins but have an outdated look. That’s all. They are bright and simple. Everything now has to be dark and look like it’s a vintage rack device.  

And we do have good reasons to be a bit nervous about the DX format and how much longer it will be OK now that it is no longer supported 

I sort of stopped using them only for that reason. 

You tube is getting worse and worse for the amount of unqualified presenters spreading misinformation.
I just was watching a few Audio interface reviews and each one had totally different information about the same interfaces. It’s all one person’s opinion so hopefully the punters are smart enough to figure that out. But these people get 2k views so there’s money in spreading dribble. 
I sure hope Bandlab hires a professional video maker to produce the tutorials for Sonar like they did 10 years ago. Otherwise it will be a s—t show again like it is now.   

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, John Vere said:

The trouble is, they are all excellent plugins but have an outdated look. That’s all. They are bright and simple. Everything now has to be dark and look like it’s a vintage rack device.  

And we do have good reasons to be a bit nervous about the DX format and how much longer it will be OK now that it is no longer supported 

I sort of stopped using them only for that reason. 

You tube is getting worse and worse for the amount of unqualified presenters spreading misinformation.
I just was watching a few Audio interface reviews and each one had totally different information about the same interfaces. It’s all one person’s opinion so hopefully the punters are smart enough to figure that out. But these people get 2k views so there’s money in spreading dribble. 
I sure hope Bandlab hires a professional video maker to produce the tutorials for Sonar like they did 10 years ago. Otherwise it will be a s—t show again like it is now.   

I get what you're trying to say, but Ben Jordan is a very successful and respected musician, producer etc etc in the industry.  As someone who loves Sonar and has wanted this DAW to not only survive but get the recognition it's due, I think it's pretty cool someone who actually works in the biz is giving cakewalk it's props to his followers.

15 hours ago, John Vere said:

You tube is getting worse and worse for the amount of unqualified presenters spreading misinformation

BandLab got lucky, Benn is neither unqualified nor a spreader of misinformation.

Me, I say YouTube is what it is. An "unqualified" presenter may be more accurately demonstrating a new user's experience than someone who knows the software inside and out. As long as they don't outright say something like "this is the EQ you get with Cakewalk" then no foul.

If some of Cakewalk's most compelling features are hard for new users to find, then maybe Cakewalk needs to make them easier for new users to discover.

A great series of videos by someone making their way through Cakewalk for the very first time is by my friend Lorene. She used to use Sony Acid back in the day, then decided to try CbB a couple of years ago, turned on the camera and went for it:

We became acquainted because in several cases, I couldn't stand to see her struggle, so I helped out. 😁

• Like 1

Sorry I wasn’t  referring to the video as I haven’t watched it yet. I will but I’ve been too busy myth busting in an other thread. 
I was just making an observation about You Tube in general. 

I use You Tube for when I’m trying to figure something out. I renovated our kitchen building all my own cabinets that are 10 times the quality you get when you buy them made out of cheap materials. Mine are all solid wood and real lumber core plywood. I watched many videos and I found this one guy who was amazing as a teacher.

I even watched dozens of reviews for table saws and stuff ( audio interfaces?) , even the saw blades have dozens of videos ( guitars strings?) 

Then I installed my own Mini split Heat Pump. Same thing lots of DIY You Tubes. 
I fell short on changing the heater core on my 1985 Chevy Van
I found one in Spanish though.  It didn’t take long to find out the whole dashboard completely comes out!  Eye-Carumba! sp. 

Edited by John Vere