[SOLVED] Change Pitch without changing Tempo (Audacity example)

sadicus

Question

What is the most effective way to change the Key / Pitch of a song in CBB, similar to Audacity?
In this case the song is Fm, needs to be Em.

Audacity example:  1:38  How to Instantly Transpose Any Audio File into a Different Key for Free! Change Pitch in Audacity

Edited by sadicus

10 answers to this question

As long as you are going by full semitones, Process->Transpose will work as long as you have "Transpose Audio" checked, then can choose the algorithm you want.

Unfortunately, this only allows whole number semitones (not cents), and it has a bug that will not allow you to type in "-", so to get negative values you need to actually use the down arrow. Normalization has the same bug for text entry in the dB field, but then a warning says numbers need to be from -INF to 0.0dB, but you cannot type a "-" in that field.

Edited by mettelus
  • Like 1

As he said super simple - Takes 3 seconds. Use Ctrl A to select all then process/Transpose / set to -1 / check the audio box

Make sure to have a complete back up of the project first. Normally a small amount like this will not trash things but digital audio can only do so much without artifacts happening to critical tracks like Vocals. My self if this has to happen I redo the vocals. 

Screenshot(363).thumb.png.cbbb02629c70c9c8c5ee43e697fa2427.png

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, mettelus said:

and it has a bug that will not allow you to type in "-", so to get negative values you need to actually use the down arrow. Normalization has the same bug for text entry in the dB field, but then a warning says numbers need to be from -INF to 0.0dB, but you cannot type a "-" in that field.

Seems your keyboard is sending some non-standard character code or maybe some third-party app is modifying it...?

I was just using Normalize (to -12dB) yesterday, and checked Transpose just now, and I don't see this issue with either of them. Minus key in the top row enters a "-", and minus key on the Numkey pad decrements the current value by one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is actually rather interesting, since I checked it prior to posting and it didn't work, but just checked it now and the "-" takes (both from the number pad and keyboard row). What is even more odd is I made videos where the "-" didn't take in the past few months (I would type the - and as soon as I typed the first number the - would vanish). I was thinking it might be specific to the version I am running, but now am sorta curious as to why.

Then again, it falls into the classic example of something not working until you try to show it to someone else! My keyboard takes some nasty abuse from heavy typing anyway, so maybe it is on death's door.

8 hours ago, mettelus said:

My keyboard takes some nasty abuse from heavy typing anyway, so maybe it is on death's door.

Mine started doing flaky stuff like that before it went completely belly up - mainly just not producing any output, even with a firm key press.

I found what it is, and part of it is due to my typing speed. Using Normalization Amount as an example, if you clear that entry cell then hit the - key on the NumPad, it steps down integer values with each keypress, but also selects the field contents with each iteration. If not watching that cell when clearing it, the - changes the contents to -1.0 (highlight selected) and following it with a 3 will overwite the -1.0 with a 3 (which is then not selected). So when clearing the cell contents and typing "-3" then looking back up, I only was seeing 3 and wondering where the - went. The only way to input numbers, for example -3.5 for Normalization amount, you need to hit - then mouse click the field to deselect the "selection" and change them that way. I am very much in the habit of clearing a field and just typing what I want in there, but typing "-3" will yield "3" if not paying attention.

Also note, the selection behavior only occurs when using the - on the NumPad. When using the number row, the "selection" behavior does not occur, so you can type in -3 and it takes as -3.

On 2/12/2024 at 5:25 PM, mettelus said:

Also note, the selection behavior only occurs when using the - on the NumPad. When using the number row, the "selection" behavior does not occur, so you can type in -3 and it takes as -3.

Okay, I wasn't understanding what you were saying until I read this. The issue isn't really about whether anything is selected or not. It's just which minus key you use. The one in the Numkey pad will never enter a minus sign in this context; it only decrements whatever the current value is. Regardless of whether the value is selected or not, you have to use the top row of the QWERTY to get a minus sign. The Numkeys increment/decrement values in other contexts as well (e.g. MIDI Key+ and Time+ offsets)

The selection aspect is the actual problem, since the NumPad is the standard numerical data entry medium (banking, engineering, you name it). If the contents of a field are selected with any keystroke on that pad, then the very next entry overwrites the contents. I just checked the keyboard shortcuts and the Num - is not bound, so that behavior is scripted into the app and cannot be undone (Windows default behavior is to enter a -, go figure). When someone is doing data entry, they are not expecting those keys to select the contents of the field as they go and it will cause issues for people either focused on the NumPad itself (me 99% of the time) or reading a data sheet as they are typing. I cannot think of any other program where if I select the contents of a data field (intentionally) and either hit Backspace or just start typing that it doesn't take all of the characters that I type, let alone overwrite something I know I typed.

On 2/11/2024 at 5:57 PM, David Baay said:

minus key on the Numkey pad decrements the current value by one

Thanks a lot! I did not know this for all the years I worked with Sonar. It makes life so much easier changing MIDI values in the Event Inspector!

Regrettably it does not work in the clip/track properties.