Humble Bundle Corel Paint and More Bundle

cclarry

3 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

Yeah I usually do this some but since we have no idea what the biggest driver for these deals continuing it is hard to know how to best adjust it.  

If my math is correct, the default Humble cut seems to be ~30% which is on par with a lot of other (mainly) video game platforms. From a quick search though, Microsoft is ~12%,  Google and Apple are both around 15%. The minimum cut for Humble seems to be 15%, so they still make a "standard" cut even if you set it at the lowest. But you make a good point about also rewarding them for really good bundles. 

Anyway. Just figured I'd say it because usually saying "charity" somewhere gives an impression that a significant portion of things goes to charity, but more often than not, they get the smallest cut. Then again, adjusting the donation goes both ways as sometimes the particular charity might not be something you want to put money towards to. (Albeit in all honesty, I only think I've seen a truly questionable one once or twice during the ~14 years using the site.)

they offer the corel stuff a fair bit.. the corel installer are a total PITA.. and they try to get you NOT to make a backup copy.. then charge you later when you need to re-download it.

it's nice enough BUT it's a case of , they don;t seem to be doing that much for their yearly upgrade... and their popups when you install their stuff are *REALLY* annoying

6 hours ago, Paul Fogarty said:

and they try to get you NOT to make a backup copy

I've learned one trick. After the installer downloads and starts, go to Task Manager. In the details tab, find the process for the installer. Right click on that, go to it's location. You can then copy the folder (which will be the required setup files) as a backup and use it to install it offline (though you'll still need to go online for activation).

7 hours ago, Paul Fogarty said:

they offer the corel stuff a fair bit.. the corel installer are a total PITA.. and they try to get you NOT to make a backup copy.. then charge you later when you need to re-download it.

If you buy from Humble, I think they offer the installers still luckily.

But good point on backing up the actual installers the smaller installer downloads. Just in case.

A few other nuisances with Corel:

1. The installers/uninstallers are scripted to break junctions (although the 2023 versions seem to not do this).
  2. They cram pretty much everything into the C:Windows\Installer directory (where many installers "disappear to"), so much so that I only leave the last two versions installed. Even identical content packs show up as discrete yet duplicate entries (and Corel's apps are the biggest hitters in that folder).
  3. There is an upgrade "trick" for each program to carry things forward into the next version that is unique to each app. This is not as straightforward as it should be, although some are simpler than others.
  4. The advertising pop up can now be disabled pretty seamlessly, but that used to be a problem child too.

• 3 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, The Dispossessed Orangutan said:

I guess today is the last day for this bundle, and I wold like to buy Painter for use on a computer I have not even built yet.

The discussion about installers piqued my interest.

Am I going to be able to download free-standing installers that I may archive for future use?

Thank you.

Well the installers in the humble bundle are the kind that are small and then go grab the actually install info from servers from what I recall.  

I haven't run into issues yet with them (started buying ~2019) but who knows if they will eventually break the process even with your "off-line" installer that isn't really off-line.  

I personally would not be at all worried about a future build (assuming you do it in a year or so), but if you are thinking 10 years down the road, might be a pause for thought.

Edited by Brian Walton

52 minutes ago, The Dispossessed Orangutan said:

I guess today is the last day for this bundle, and I wold like to buy Painter for use on a computer I have not even built yet.

The discussion about installers piqued my interest.

Am I going to be able to download free-standing installers that I may archive for future use?

Thank you.

I have Corel painter 2020 ( and also earlier versions ) over at my account on Humble Bundle. There I have the downloader installer that still works, tested.  Also note its Lifetime Perpetual License for 2 devices. The INSTALL Size for this version is 1.45GB.

I also have the product IDs / Serials registered over at my Corel account

HB_Corelpainter2020.jpg.1209aa2272bcfe8fc6c07d3b7e79887d.jpg

Edited by aidan o driscoll

3 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

I have Corel painter 2020 ( and also earlier versions ) over at my account on Humble Bundle. There I have the downloader installer that still works, tested.  Also note its Lifetime Perpetual License for 2 devices. The INSTALL Size for this version is 1.45GB.

I also have the product IDs / Serials registered over at my Corel account

HB_Corelpainter2020.jpg.1209aa2272bcfe8fc6c07d3b7e79887d.jpg

The install size for the version is that large but I think we need to be clear that the Installer itself that you download - is not the entire installer:

Thus to the point - NO, they do not give us a full off-line installer type of situation, but they do give you a program to run that then goes out to the internet to install from a server that may or may not exist in 10 years.  (just like the authorization server might not either)

image.png.d147cec2ac80acc9122918e2d65e6558.png

image.png.ae9de298d0de2a18014b6e78a23f8003.png

image.png.4854ba6a25eaffd4de2afc05ab511617.png

image.png

Edited by Brian Walton

@Brian Walton Yip thats true - it downloads the large installer file proper. So when it gets to the end of the download and then to the welcome screen to actually install I would imagine you could copy that install file proper from inside your windows temp folder. Before doing the download, clear out the windows temps folders ( c:\windows\temp  and C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp

• Like 1