Oh An Untimely Death

cclarry

9 hours ago, TheSteven said:

But I must admit that while I always checkout and collect their offerings I don't use it (at least not yet)

I am in the same boat with this. With FX pre-baked into the samples (all 36GB of them) and a rudimentary GUI, the limitations outweigh the usefulness for me. I forget now which newer instrument I had caught a review of, but the GUI being used replicated LABS enough that I passed on watching the rest of it. LABS was definitely good exposure to Spitfire as a whole though, so I did pick up a few other things along the way.

• Like 2

I remember there being some talk/commotion around paid-for Pianobook libraries. Is that notion still alive?

As for LABS, I personally find the Spitfire player a bit difficult to get on with so never used them much. The install process seemed a bit flaky too. That said, I think it's a great resource for free instruments though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, antler said:

I remember there being some talk/commotion around paid-for Pianobook libraries. Is that notion still alive?

As for LABS, I personally find the Spitfire player a bit difficult to get on with so never used them much. The install process seemed a bit flaky too. That said, I think it's a great resource for free instruments though.

I have all of the Labs libraries on one of my drives,  but I probably should just delete them, as I really don't use them. I think they're great for their intended purpose, attracting newbies to the Spitfire brand. But I think,  if you have a collection of detailed KONTAKT libraries, it's unlikely that the Labs libraries are going to meet your standards,  and it was never Spitfire's intention to do so. 

As far as paid libraries from Pianobook,  they've been doing that for at least a year. I have no idea how well they're selling. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, PavlovsCat said:

I think they're great for their intended purpose, attracting newbies to the Spitfire brand. 

And for general promotion. They had a composition competition one year, where entrants were asked to compose (something like) a 1 minute track using any (and only) Labs instruments. It was fun, and it convinced me to give them a try. They sound nice, but I found the player a bit limiting.

And yeah, I've got a few orchestral (and other) Kontakt libraries already; I've gotten used to Kontakt, so I tend to stick with those.

• Like 2

I get the impression that archiving them and trying to install later on would not be smooth like Kontakt.

They have Originals which are very affordable so I assume that's the direction they are going.

When it comes to orchestra libraries one can only invent the wheel so far.

With the large amount of VST synths I see no need for sample based players either.

On 1/29/2024 at 2:13 PM, Esteban Villanova said:

Hopefully Crow Hill will keep adding stuff. The things that are available are pretty top notch, especially the piano!

Crow Hill may not be able to so quickly. I saw on Instagram that they had a studio fire which burned up most of the equipment. I haven't kept tabs on how bad the damage is, but the studio looked gutted.

Edited by 53mph
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3