HP customers claim firmware update rendered third-party ink verboten

kitekrazy

Doesn't surprise me, since a couple cartridge replacements can cost more than the machine itself. HP has been playing around with the chips on those cartridges for years. If you go in and disable the "HP SI Service" manually, it keeps their printers from phoning home.

• Thanks 1

I wonder if they tried just one cartridge.

The chips are readily available. And the people that make the generic ink and toner cartridges are aware of the chips and know how to replace or reprogram them.

I run in to this once in a while. Sharp makes a larger color copier where you cannot remove the toner cartridge until it is empty. It will eject and you can't use the machine.

I've had customers complain that their brand new cartridge would just pop out. Incompatible chips or chips that were flashed wrong will sometimes slip through. They just put a different one in and off they go.

I can't believe HP would be dumb enough to do this. But stranger things have happened. 

Many many years ago generic supplies were a problem, but the industry has really improved. I wouldn't hesitate to use generic now.