Record from Internet

Matthew W

Question

Hello aIl

I would like to record nature sounds via internet explorer or another browser into calkwalk

How do I send the signal into the Daw in both windows 10 and 11

I'm using a 2 channel Prism converter for which I do not see a way to direct the signal back into the computer.

I could send a line out form the mixer back into the line inputs of the converter but is there an in-the-box-solution 

Thanks 
MB

8 answers to this question

Depending on where you are getting your source material from, 4K Video Downloader is another option. In addition to video download options, there are also audio-only options available. IIRC, the free version does 30 downloads per day, and it also alleviates the hassle of loopbacks or recording in "real time."

Edited by mettelus
  • Thanks 1

If you're not using an audio interface that requires an ASIO driver, use the computer's sound card and WDM/KS driver.
In the computer sound settings, set record to "What You Hear" or "Stereo Mix" or similar input.
Then record it in Cakewalk. *

*I haven't done this since XP days, but surely there is a similar method in W7, 10, 11?

Loopback is definitely a new thing on interfaces and it’s only a handful that will have it. The Zoom AMS 22 @$80 is the least expensive then the Steinberg UR12. I have it with my Motu M4 and my Zoom L8 and it gets used a lot. 
In the past the easiest way was simply creating a Loopback using short patch cables from out to in. I had 3/4 outputs but windows can’t access these. So you need to use 1/2 . You use headphones to monitor. 
Just don’t turn on input echo when recording. 

And another option is lots of app’s like OBS or I think even Audacity can record directly from the internet. Cakewalk can’t without loopback. 
I know I used Gold Wave the other day to record a song I was wanting to learn on my office computer that only has Realtek. Only some Realtek cards have Loopback or sometimes called “ What you Hear” 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

I often record audio from YouTube and other internet sources. I use either the analog, wifi or spdif Realtek stereo audio outputs to my monitor controller aux input. I then patch that to an stereo input on my analog audio interface and record that. 

My audio interface doesn't support loopback. So I think routing thru the monitor controller is necessary to avoid feedback. 

On 1/9/2024 at 12:38 PM, Matthew W said:

Hello aIl

I would like to record nature sounds via internet explorer or another browser into calkwalk

How do I send the signal into the Daw in both windows 10 and 11

I'm using a 2 channel Prism converter for which I do not see a way to direct the signal back into the computer.

I could send a line out form the mixer back into the line inputs of the converter but is there an in-the-box-solution 

Thanks 
MB

Expanding on my post above, on a 5 year old laptop that was upgraded from W10 to W11, has a Celeron processor and only 4 GB RAM and a RealTek sound card, I was, after much fiddling with the settings in, well, everything, able to record audio from WMP and Media Player and from YouTube into Cakewalk by Bandlab.
Set the sound card input to Stereo Mix.
Set CbB to Always Open All Devices and WASAPI Shared.
Of course, make sure the sound device and CbB are set to the same sampling rate. The same bit depth won't hurt, either.
I don't remember the specific order I did these things. That may matter. Try it yourself. Good luck!

• Like 1