Sonar Artist - Guitar Rig - Scarlett Solo - Not Running Simultanously - Please HELP!

Hi!

I am running SonarArtist as my DAW with Scarlett Solo as the audio interface. In the past I was able to simultanously record and play with Guitar Rig effects running with no problem. Now, when I hit "record" on Sonar, it gives this message, "Unable to Open Audio Record Device".  I have attached a screenshot of the error message to this post. Then, I close Guitar Rig and Sonar is able to record, but only with Guitar Rig closed. I am able to play with both programs open simultanously, but not able to record. Does anyone have th solution to this problem? I was able to play and record with both programs open simultanously in the past with my Scarlett 2i2, but it seems that Scarlett Solo won't allow it. Any suggestions? THANKS in advance!

image.jpg

I would check that SONAR, Solo and Guitar Rig are all set to the same sampling rate.
Are you using GT as a plug-in in SONAR or in standalone mode (if that is possible)?
It looks like both GT and SONAR are trying to access the Solo's driver at the same time.

• Like 2

Hi Greg & Patrick. I am using it standalone and also as a vst. It's very strange. All of my sampling rates are identical and it still does the same thing. In the past, I always used a Scarlett 2i2 and this never happened. Now, I am using a Scarlett Solo and am now having this problem. Could it be an issue with the interface? In theory, the only real difference between Scarlett Solo and Scarlett 2i2 should be the inputs and outputs - hardware. Any other suggestions? I'm stumped. I really appreciate your time, guys!

Hi John. Yep. I am using the Focusrite drivers. It's a real mystery. 
Hi, Starship Krupa. I don't know. I just don't really like Cakewalk / BandLab. Maybe it has too many features / distractions. I'll try it anyhow and see if it gives me the same problems. We'll see. Thanks, guys!

• Great Idea 1

5 hours ago, Juice Man said:

I just don't really like Cakewalk / BandLab. Maybe it has too many features / distractions.

Not sure if you have tried using a custom Workspace. It can be used to exclude some features / distractions. For example, here's one I call "No Views"--it has just the minimal views possible: 

image.png  

Functions in Views that have been excluded from a custom Workspace are also excluded.

Compare the one above with the following Views:

1MQ92zj.png        WYSMg3F.png

--from a discussion when one user had an issue with the Video View: 

More often than not, discussions of Workspaces come up when some users find Views and the features they use are accidentally excluded or someone has chosen the "wrong" factory Workspace. But, I have found customized Workspaces can be used to focus on specific workflow  tasks.  Just an option for reducing features / distractions.  Another option is to customize the Control Bar by showing a limited set of modules or by setting unneeded Control Bar modules as Collapsed.

Edited by User 905133
fixed typo
  • Great Idea 1

I asked because I was thinking there might be an actual different driver for the Solo and possibly the driver for the 2i2 was still installed and causing the issue. But I see they now use the Control panel to install the drivers. 
That message tells you that there’s a sample rate conflict between 2 programs being open. 
So double check that both Sonar and Guitar Rig are using same sample rate.

In my video where I show you how to set up Windows sound settings you’ll see I uncheck the box that allows the device exclusive control.  I find this allowed me to run multiple music apps at same time. But they all have to be set with sample rate matching. 

And nothing wrong with using Sonar Artist. I would think twice about starting to use Cakewalk by Bandlab at this point in time because it has now been discontinued. It will soon be replaced by Sonar again. And guess what. From what the staff have said it seems they will bring back versions like Artists again.  So I would just watch and wait. 
I’m with you on why bloat the software with features you don’t need.

I still have Sonar Home Studio installed and only feature missing is the regional effects. But I can record audio and midi and use any instrument or effects I want including Melodyne.  So I’m hoping they return to having the different versions option at those same price points. 

• 3 weeks later...

I am with @57Gregy on this one. An interface conflict like in the OP is very common when it is in use by another program (even Windows). It seems from the OP that you have both applications open, and since Guitar Rig does have recording capability (for the looper), I am assuming you opened Guitar Rig first and it locked your Scarlett on you. Guitar Rig should only be used as a VST internal to SONAR in this case.

Windows is also the gatekeeper, so another thing to verify is that both "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" and "Give exclusive mode applications priority" are unchecked in the Properties->Advanced tab for the Scarlett in the Windows Sound Control Panel. Even silly things like browsing YouTube or such can cause Windows to give control of your interface to the browser with those options checked. Windows is very much "first come, first served" so I even go so far as to explicitly assign the RealTek chip as the default sound device in Windows so that most apps won't even see the interface unless you assign it within the app itself. The first app that sees that interface and uses it can lock it on you.

Edited by mettelus
  • Like 1