Articulation Map Chase Mode

Hello all

I am having a minor issue with the chase mode in articulation maps. While it is easy to work around I am not sure it is something I am doing wrong or a problem with Cakewalk so wondering if  anyone else has come across this?

I have the chase mode for the articulations set to full. If I start playback from this position it behaves as expected and the articulation changes to Rolls.

ArtMap01.jpg.0f2819c9cce2bd07aa652cb6c13ba76d.jpg

If I start playback from this position the articulation changes to Rolls whereas I was expecting it to change to Hits as this previous articulation in the map.

ArtMap02.jpg.60f854e05fb2c4455a66dfcde5b4f97c.jpg

Chasing for articulations needs a different implementation from regular tracks. In your case, there is no "note" outstanding in the articulation track, and by conventional chasing, no note needs to be triggered. But obviously articulation chasing would need to trigger the last articulation note (or maybe even the last several notes), even though the articulation note lengths have expired. A workaround for your posted case might be to extend all note lengths up to the beginning of the next note, but there is an obvious conflict with that approach also. Chasing of articulated notes needs to run in parallel with chasing of their articulations. I wonder if they have tried to implement it that way?

6 hours ago, Alastair Cardwell said:

Hello all

I am having a minor issue with the chase mode in articulation maps. While it is easy to work around I am not sure it is something I am doing wrong or a problem with Cakewalk so wondering if  anyone else has come across this?

I have the chase mode for the articulations set to full. If I start playback from this position it behaves as expected and the articulation changes to Rolls.

ArtMap01.jpg.0f2819c9cce2bd07aa652cb6c13ba76d.jpg

If I start playback from this position the articulation changes to Rolls whereas I was expecting it to change to Hits as this previous articulation in the map.

ArtMap02.jpg.60f854e05fb2c4455a66dfcde5b4f97c.jpg

Is it a latching keyswitch?

• 3 weeks later...

The way articulations chase is depends on the chase mode,  the type of articulation (i.e. latched notes /  duration based notes / cc ), and the implementation of the articulation within the VSTi itself.

Duration based note articulations require the trigger note to be held down for the duration of the whole articulation, whereas latching key-switches generally require a short note to engage the articulation, and then they retain their state. 

Whether it's duration or latched is dictated by the VSTi, so it's up to you to make sure the articulation is set up to match that - if they're mismatched then the behaviour you describe (or similar) is likely to occur.

CC articulations normally behave like latching key-switches - i.e. you set them, and they retain their state until something else changes them.

The above is true for triggered event type articulations.  Transform articulations always need their duration cover the notes you want to affect.

Thanks for the explanation @msmcleod

The VSTi in this case is Spitfire Audio BBCSO, the articulations are latched and just require a note for a short duration to switch from one to the other. This is an example of one I have the configured: -
Kind = Note, Channel = Follow, Note/CC = E-1, Vel/CC = 100, Transpose = unchecked, Play At = Duration, Chase Mode = Full.

In the documentation it states: -
Full =All instances of this event from the beginning of the track will be sent up until the playback start time.

From this explanation and the articulations being configured to send notes I would expect that when starting play back it would send a note for every articulation on the articulation map up to the play start point so should end up on the correct one. Am I incorrect in my interpretation of this?

10 hours ago, Alastair Cardwell said:

From this explanation and the articulations being configured to send notes I would expect that when starting play back it would send a note for every articulation on the articulation map up to the play start point so should end up on the correct one. Am I incorrect in my interpretation of this?

Just did a test.  All articulations from the beginning of the track up to the play point are chased.

14 hours ago, Alastair Cardwell said:

Yes, this is the case. 

However you should be aware that sending multiple articulation switches in quick succession could confuse the VSTi (obviously dependent on the VSTi in question).

Also, clicking a "trigger event" articulation will send the articulation out immediately, so if you are experiencing issues, you can use this method to force a particular articulation.