Soundiron ❄️ Our Winter Sale Has Arrived! Save 50% Storewide & 25% Off Omega

cclarry

I was just researching the Montclarion Piano and watching @Simeon Amburgey's video and enjoying his great playing (both Simeon and I can play the piano at a level that would make my late piano teacher mother cry, but for very different reasons!). Simeon pointed out that there was an issue with velocity layers and I was wondering if SoundIron ever fixed that. I'd love to get insights from anyone who has this library. I own several SoundIron libraries and have been very happy with them, but even though this library is very inexpensive, I'm not sure if I want to buy it if the developer hasn't fixed the velocity issue that Simeon pointed out. 

There is something about the vibe of this piano that I love. When Simeon started playing some Vince Guaraldi, I think he nailed it. It sounds like a piano you'd hear on an old jazz recording. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fleer said:

It’s a good one indeed, updated to 2.0 a few years ago. 

Simeon found the velocity issue in a video he did last year (posted above). Do you know if they fixed it?

Granted, with your backing of it and laglag's code making it only $20.80, I'm probably buying this anyhow. I was actually considering getting the MFactoryLE for the Meldaway Grand, but it's 40 GB, and this one is 7GB and I've never been disappointed by SoundIron yet.  More and more, hard drive space is becoming a factor for me with sample library purchases. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Fleer said:

I totally understand. However, I don’t think that they much updated the library after that 2.0 version in 2018…
If you’re looking for a really good grand, try the Embertone Walker 1955. The lite one is 10GB: https://www.embertone.com/instruments/concertD.php

I own and love the Embertone Walker, so I think that's a mighty fine recommendation and one I have recommended many times.I just love the vibe of this library, especially after watching Simeon's video. I think I'll ask the dev about the velocity issue and see if they're open to fixing the issue or not. Because if they even promise to fix that, this library is a no-brainer, IMO. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

I own and love the Embertone Walker, so I think that's a mighty fine recommendation and one I have recommended many times.I just love the vibe of this library, especially after watching Simeon's video. I think I'll ask the dev about the velocity issue and see if they're open to fixing the issue or not. Because if they even promise to fix that, this library is a no-brainer, IMO. 

Thanks, would like to know too. 

4 hours ago, Fleer said:

Thanks, would like to know too. 

I put in a support question to SoundIron yesterday.  This is SoundIron's response in its entirety: 

"Hi Peter,

Thanks for reaching out.

This library is from 2010 and is on the cheaper side of piano products. It only includes four velocity layers, so there is some "jumpyness" in volume between velocities. For comparison, Emotional Piano has 10 velocity layers and is triple the price. 

There is a velocity limiter built in to the montclarion GUI, so you can dial in the higher velocities to taste or use a compressor to squeeze some of the velocity jumps. If you're comfortable with the backend of Kontakt, you could also reduce the volume of the higher velocity layers easily in the groups.

We do not have plans to update this library any time soon. Please let me know if you have any other questions."

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Thanks 1