Taped Vibes | Free HALion Instrument and Programming Series

Simeon Amburgey

Steinberg has just released Taped Vibes as a FREE instrument for HAlion (also works in the HALion Sonic player).
It is a very cool take on the Wurlitzer 200A. They are also introducing a series of videos that walk you through the process of creating your own instrument in HALion with new installments periodically.

Join me today 11:00 am EST, for the Premiere of my walkthrough here:

More info on Taped Vibes can be found here: www.steinberg.net/vst-instruments/taped-vibes/

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fleer said:

Didn’t update yet …

I listened to all of the audio and demos on the page. It sounds cool, but it's definitely is not an authentic 200A. It's especially noticeable in an audio file of the instrument playing alone. I think sample libraries are still the winner. Skybox Audio and e-instruments make my favorite Wurli libraries; both also make it easy for the user to create their own presets. SonicCouture and AcousticSamples demos sound excellent (but I don't own those).

What I love about AcousticSamples Wurlie is how they captured the clunk of the keys that you hear when you're playing. I'd guess that they recorded the keyboard turned off and mixed that in. e-instruments also has that clunk sound and lets you easily mix in as much as you'd like using the controls on the GUI.  For that reason, I have to hand it to e-instruments for making a library that makes it easy to get any kind of sound you can think of out of the sample library.  Skybox Audio's 145B starts out as a really pristine sounding library and also has controls that let you alter the sound well. It doesn't have that clunk to it,  but I think the combo of the 145B and the e-instruments Electric W are a great pairing. I can thank, I believe,  chris.r and Bad Penguin for recommending the 145B. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Fleer said:

For a sampled Wurlitzer, I’ll stick to my AcousticSamples Wurlie, and the Keyscape 200A and 140B.

I'm not very familiar with the Keyscape (I've heard people mention it, but I don't really know anything else), but the demos for the AcousticSamples Wurlie sound amazing to me. If I would have heard that earlier in my research process, I definitely would have bought it. 

Edited by PavlovsCat