UJAM Silk for 9.91€

audioschmaudio

10 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

UJAM is aimed at very different users than Orange Tree Samples. UJAM targets hobbyists -- a younger demographic-- who are looking for instant gratification and are not as concerned with creating their own custom parts. In short, you can fairly say that UJAM targets hobbyist users satisfied to use loops and Orange Tree Samples targets advanced amateurs and pros who prefer to play and create their own unique progressions, strumming patterns,  licks, riffs, etc. OTS has a far higher bar for sample instrument realism than UJAM. 

UJAM Virtual Guitarist line uses loops of strums, so there's no way for a user to make custom or customized patterns. Personally,  for the loop-based approach, I think Native Instruments Session Guitarist line is the best option of the two (UJAM vs SG).  But this deal is 10 bucks, so it feels like an unfair comparison at that price point (while it's not at its regular price).

DISCLOSURE: I have consulted to OTS, Pettinhouse, SonicCouture, 8Dio, Kirk Hunter Studios and many other sample and plugin developers in past years on branding, product development and marketing strategy. I haven't done paid consulting to OTS in more than a decade, so this disclosure is probably unnecessary,  but I  want to be as transparent as possible. 

Yep, that’s my take on it too. The NI offering is half price currently too. Thanks!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PavlovsCat said:

UJAM Virtual Guitarist line uses loops of strums, so there's no way for a user to make custom or customized patterns. Personally,  for the loop-based approach, I think Native Instruments Session Guitarist line is the best option of the two (UJAM vs SG).  But this deal is 10 bucks, so it feels like an unfair comparison at that price point (while it's not at its regular price).

I agree with your comments regarding Orange Tree (or Ample and others) vs UJAM, but I think "phrase based" is a better characterization of the UJAM guitar approach.  While the strums are samples, the patterns are not. UJAM does have "player mode" where you can create custom phrases  based on note samples.  Iron, Sparkle 2, and Iron2 have MIDI drag and drop of  the internal phrases to your DAW that you can customize.  I think older versions worked on the same principle internally, but they have only been adding MIDI DND options to new releases.  To me "Loop based" implies canned sampled phrases that can only be altered by stretching or other digital treatment.

• Like 1