When u come to know Ob-XD is based on OBXD

satya

9 hours ago, satya said:

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=387568

DiscoDsp version is based on this freeware 

Damn

https://plugins4free.com/dev/427/

How I didn't know this until now

Where in that 340 page thread did you see that?
By based do you mean they had access to the freeware versions code?  or that they saw that version & said  'I can build a better one' and went and built their own?

Edited by TheSteven

34 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

Where in that 340 page thread did you see that?
By based do you mean they had access to the freeware versions code?  or that they saw that version & said  'I can build a better one' and went and built their own?

If you search the topic for "2dat" you'll find some posts about this. Such as:

Also obxd was originally programmed by 2dat, under GPL, afaik. Most parts still are 2dat.

Apparently, DiscoDSP forked the original source code and based their version on that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In fairness to DiscoDSP they do mention it at bottom of the OX-XD page:

"Credit and Licensing

OB-Xd is a software synthesizer developed under a commercial license granted by Vadim Filatov, also known as 2Dat. All rights and permissions for the use of OB-Xd have been lawfully obtained in accordance with the terms of the license agreement."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, ashley_k said:

In fairness to DiscoDSP they do mention it at bottom of the OX-XD page:

"Credit and Licensing

OB-Xd is a software synthesizer developed under a commercial license granted by Vadim Filatov, also known as 2Dat. All rights and permissions for the use of OB-Xd have been lawfully obtained in accordance with the terms of the license agreement."

And it's 'based on', not repackaged.  i.e.  the modifications have been made - code changes (bug fixes, improvements/enhancements), presets added, etc..

discoDSP wrote: ↑Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:24 amAs the developer of OB-Xd and OPL, I would like to remind you that your statements regarding our qualifications and actions are inappropriate. While it is true that our work was initially based on open-source projects, we have made significant contributions and improvements to these projects over the past seven years. Additionally, we have always respected and appreciated the open-source community's efforts and contributions.

People appear to be upset that DiscoDSP didn't contribute open source code regarding the original or maybe it's just that DiscoDSP isn't free.

Personally I don't see what the fuss is about - if you want to use the 7 year old v1.0 version of software with no presets use the 2Dat version, if you want the one with the latest fixes/tweaks and included presets buy the discoDSP version or that of another developer.

FWIW - I don't use either. I have OP-X PRO-II by SonicProjects and the Arturia versions. 

• Like 3

I believe the real issue was that OB-Xd being a GPL open source project, any modifications to the open source project needed to also be open source. It sounded like DiscoDSP was not doing that. It looks like they have since obtained a commercial license which allows them to keep their mods closed source.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheSteven said:

FWIW - I don't use either. I have OP-X PRO-II by SonicProjects and the Arturia versions.

Wow, this OP-X PRO-II sounds great! My former bandmates from the 80s have some real hardware (Jupiter 8, ...) so I know how they should sound about and this one sounds absolutely realistic to me! In any case the presets are definitely 80 stuff!

OB-Xd is also an interesting synth, but it's far from real 80s hardware IMHO.