Update: Moog - Moogerfooger Effects 1.2.0 / iLok no longer needed

Frank

Moogerfooger Effects Plug-ins Software v1.2.0 Is Now Available

Software update v1.2.0 introduces improvements and enhancements for your Moogerfooger Effects Plug-ins, detailed below.

iLok is no longer necessary for use. We've migrated to an in-house software unlock system. Any existing registration in your software.moogmusic.com account will automatically work with this new version; it just needs to be activated from within the plug-in upon first use.

As our most requested improvement, we've now made the desktop UI resizable in clean, elegant HiDPI resolution.

Virtual CV functionality has been updated and enhanced for seamless connectivity with other Moog software instruments. 

Plus, for MF-105S iOS, long press on the MF-105S pattern editor step now sets it as the last step for that particular filter band.

To update your plug-ins, log in to your account here. In the "Your Software" section, you'll find the latest downloads of the Moogerfooger Effects Plug-ins. For detailed activation instructions, visit our knowledge base.

https://software.moogmusic.com/user/login

• Like 6

54 minutes ago, Kirean said:

I kinda like iLok more than some in-house activations.

I was very adverse towards iLok in the beginning given that, like pretty much any other attempt at stopping piracy, it hurts the honest buyer the most. That said, having acquired plugins by a bunch of developers over time with many of them having their own activation system, I've come to terms with iLok and have to agree that it's the best solution (if you count out no activation needed at all, which has become pretty rare).

Resetting my PC has become a real chore by having to go through a huge list of plugins and deactivating their authorization. There's even some that only deauthorize by writing to the support team (Example: DearReality's  Exoverb Micro). Absolutely ridiculous!

iLok still needs a few things to make it less annoying, like a 2-3 activations minimum.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Solidos said:

Resetting my PC has become a real chore by having to go through a huge list of plugins and deactivating their authorization. There's even some that only deauthorize by writing to the support team (Example: DearReality's  Exoverb Micro). Absolutely ridiculous!

Yeah. When I began my journey in this corner of creation, everyone seemed to be nagging about iLok, but to me (the cloud activation) seems like the most safest authorization system at the moment. Maybe I'd feel different if I ran a studio but I'd probably be more pissed off by some of the other DRMs out there.

Like the ones where you need to contact the plugin publisher/dev are the stupidest ones. At least let me manage the licences without going through extra hoops and/or having to wait a reply. Stop asking for DNA samples to prove that I'm trying to reactivate on a computer I own, especially when it's probably the same one it was already activated on.

Then there's the thing where you can't even check your activations.

I also like to lose an activation and having to reactivate because maybe I added a new SSD to the system (not even replacing one) or updated/upgraded the OS or switched my mouse (when 99% of the system has stayed the same), etc... (Looking at you Atlas2.)

While non-intrusive serials/offline activation is the best (after no-DRM), I really don't understand how in the music world there seems to be no one doing a heavy push to become the Steam of music plugins/software.  Make it convenient for devs, make it convenient for the users and reduce the bloat, reduce the rootkits, reduce the attack vectors and reduce the hassle. I'm still pissed off I spent money on Virharmonic instrument (despite the actual instrument part being good) since the DRM starts and runs a local server and god-knows how many other processes that you need to specifically shutdown after. Even the simulator I got to use in the military had simpler authentication going on.

Anyway. Stop treating your paying customers like criminals, is all I'm saying.

Edited by Kirean
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, Keni said:

I only have the Ring Modulator, but I'm curios how much of a mess this is gonna create...?

I mean, it could be less of a hassle and less restrictive than the original iLok authorization. Maybe it's just a serial with no internet connection required? 

Maybe...

35 minutes ago, Kirean said:

I mean, it could be less of a hassle and less restrictive than the original iLok authorization. Maybe it's just a serial with no internet connection required? 

Maybe...

It’s hard to say, but with it already installed and working, I hate such risks...

It is funny though. When iLok first came out I was hard set against it and avoided it as it caused many problems on PCs of the day. But as connectivity has improved it has become mostly innocuous. It even offers some very beneficial features being able to move licenses between machines can be helpful.

At this point I have many products on iLok. Most on a dongle. A few on the pc directly and even 1 or 2 using cloud iLok. I’m nit happy with the cloud method but so far I’ve had no problems...

• Like 2

So I bit the bullet and installed one of the plugins.

When you open the plugin, it asks you to activate which opens up the browser and you need to log in to your account. Then you need to press activate a few times more. Doesn't seem like there's any method to authenticate offline. Can't remember if it was there before, but now in the settings for the plugin there's a spot to de-authorize it. There doesn't appear to be a way to do it via your Moog account nor is there list of activations either.

So yeah. Might want to stick to the older versions as the experience didn't really improve by getting rid of the iLok stuff.

Guess I'll need to find out whether or not I've got those old versions backed up somewhere.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kirean said:

So I bit the bullet and installed one of the plugins.

When you open the plugin, it asks you to activate which opens up the browser and you need to log in to your account. Then you need to press activate a few times more. Doesn't seem like there's any method to authenticate offline. Can't remember if it was there before, but now in the settings for the plugin there's a spot to de-authorize it. There doesn't appear to be a way to do it via your Moog account nor is there list of activations either.

So yeah. Might want to stick to the older versions as the experience didn't really improve by getting rid of the iLok stuff.

Guess I'll need to find out whether or not I've got those old versions backed up somewhere.

Hmmm...

So they are allowing iLok to stay in use instead of changing to this proprietary system?

Edited by Keni

1 hour ago, Keni said:

Hmmm...

So they are allowing iLok to stay in use instead of changing to this proprietary system?

Curious as well , that is use ikok to get licence to moog , how do they know the serials or licence ? I dont understand how they get it , is it duringbthe plugin phase or account creation phase ?

Another company I will skip for purchases! It is getting worse and worse!

Luckily I have a bunch of plugins and at least one daw (Reaper) that have user friendly authorization (completely offline). So in the worst case I am prepared! 😉

More and more I hate those login- and challenge response authorizations. Lately I had great inspiration and wanted to use AnalogLab for a synth part and exactly in that moment the authorization on my laptop had gone caused by an unknown reason (maybe Windows update some days before).  It's really a PITA!

34 minutes ago, Sistine said:

Another company I will skip for purchases! It is getting worse and worse!

Luckily I have a bunch of plugins and at least one daw (Reaper) that have user friendly authorization (completely offline). So in the worst case I am prepared! 😉

More and more I hate those login- and challenge response authorizations. Lately I had great inspiration and wanted to use AnalogLab for a synth part and exactly in that moment the authorization on my laptop had gone caused by an unknown reason (maybe Windows update some days before).  It's really a PITA!

Ya - and every plugin on this update requires tedious individual authorization on two different machines. So just did 16 authorizations. Lol.

I'm usually careful about what devs I buy for for these reasons, since I have to mirror mobile and desktop systems. And this can be become a real headache quick.

It isn't difficult to streamline this process. But some of these devs just don't GAF what the end user experience is like. Now I'll go figure out where my missing presets went for another devs plugins. This **** drives me mad. We need the plugin police who will hand out tickets when devs do this nonsense. Ha.

Edited by Carl Ewing
  • Like 1