Changing playback speed in Cakewalk

Edward Allen

Question

Hi

Is there a way to slow down the speed of a recorded track in Cakewalk please?

For context: I am a drum tutor and sometimes a learner wants to learn a pop song but he can't yet play it at full speed so it would be very helpful record the track into Cakewalk and then to be able to play it to them at say 70% of its normal speed.

Many thanks in advance

11 answers to this question

It’s very clunky to do this with cakewalk. There are lots of DJ players that do this with a simple slide control. I had the software back in XP days.it was called Virtual DJ. Probably long gone.

Nope just checked and it’s still made-  Virtual DJ 2023. $18. 
There might be others but it had both tempo matching with speed that could be set to change the pitch or keep it. 
 Its a multi step process in Cakewalk involving so much I always forget how to do it. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

One and done method, but does not keep the timeline/metronome in sync with the slower audio:

- Hold Ctrl+Shift and drag the end of the clip later to slip stretch it.

Distinctly non-clunky, two-step method that keeps the timeline in sync, but doesn't offer flexibility in choosing stretching algorithms:

- Ctrl+L to enable Groove Clip Looping on the audio clip.

- Change the project tempo.

Not very clunky method that  keeps the timline in sync AND gives you the option of selecting different stretching algorithms to get the best audio quality:

- Expand the Audiosnap section of Clip Properties tab in the Track Inspector.

- Click the Enable box.

- Change Follow Options to 'Auto stretch'.

- Check the Follow Proj Tempo box.

- Change the project tempo.

Very clunky method:

- I dont know this one; you'll have to ask John. ;^)

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, David Baay said:

I dont know this one; you'll have to ask John. ;^)

They all involved a lot of stuff you have to remember! I think what people really want is a controller which I do believe some DAWs have.  The DJ software it’s a slider. I’m just thinking in terms of teaching and being able to do things with out fuss. 

I hate when I build a Cakewalk project with midi and audio tracks, only to get near the end of the project only to find the overall project tempo is too fast/slow!!! Simple fix if only midi, but heart wrenching for audio.

I export final to Audacity and change speed. Works ok for minor changes. Larger deltas give noticeable artifacts in vox tracks. 

On 11/29/2023 at 2:46 PM, 57Gregy said:

Right-click the audio clip. Go to Process>Length. Set to desired length.

That is on a finished project bounced/exported as audio.

Edited by 57Gregy

Another alternative is RiffStation, which was a paid-for app that got unlocked when the developer stopped support so is now free but can be hard to find. With RiffStation you can adjust tempo of the playback file (only one file at a time) on the left side of the main screen. It was geared for guitarists, but can be used on any media it supports.

On 11/28/2023 at 1:06 PM, John Vere said:

It’s very clunky to do this with cakewalk. There are lots of DJ players that do this with a simple slide control. I had the software back in XP days.it was called Virtual DJ. Probably long gone.

Nope just checked and it’s still made-  Virtual DJ 2023. $18. 
There might be others but it had both tempo matching with speed that could be set to change the pitch or keep it. 
 Its a multi step process in Cakewalk involving so much I always forget how to do it. 

Thank you for sharing your channel. I find very informative.

• Like 1