How Modern Audio Repair Led to a New Beatles Song

cclarry

17 minutes ago, cclarry said:

Smart of Plugin Alliance to capitalize on the making of that song and how their plugins were used. As a huge Beatles fan, it got my attention.  Thanks for sharing,  Larry. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 4

So I read the article. Seems like Peter Jackson did a thing.

This almost feels like me claiming world fame (should probably adopt 'Notorious' in front of my name) by mentioning how I was extremely visible in footage used by one of Japan's biggest game shows. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kirean said:

So I read the article. Seems like Peter Jackson did a thing.

This almost feels like me claiming world fame (should probably adopt 'Notorious' in front of my name) by mentioning how I was extremely visible in footage used by one of Japan's biggest game shows. 

I get that they weren't the star, the AI software was. But the fact is, Lindell Audio 80 Series, SPL Transient Designer Plus, Brainworx bx_townhouse Bus Compressor, and Brainworx bx_console SSL 4000 E were used on the production of that song, the final Beatles recording. If I were in charge at Plugin Alliance,  I'd absolutely want my team telling that story. It conveys that Plugin Alliance is being used by top pros on some of the world's most high profile tracks. I don't think it's comparable to someone getting their face in a shot on a TV show. A highly qualified audio pro working on a track for one of the best selling, iconic bands in music history trusted that PA's tools were up to the task to use on The Beatles' final song. That's a pretty big deal,  IMO. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

...someone getting their face in a shot on a TV show. 

Stop selling it short. The clip showed my whole body in action for like whole 2 and a half extra long seconds! And there were pyros! You don't see pyros on any Beatles song. "Now and Then" music video has been watched like 30 million times on Youtube where as the TV show was shown to a population of over 120 million during prime time and the whole country probably watched reruns of it too! So at a conservative estimate, that's like... 200 million views even before Youtube clips...

Anyway.

I just find the 'claim to fame' things funny at times when they're based on a random few second clip or an out of context photo.

If they'd know and tell how their tools were used, then that'd be a completely different story. Otherwise, based on the clip, the engineer simply could have tried out a bunch of their tools (on trial) and figured they don't work for the job and then use some other plugins to do the job few minutes later. Heck. Fab Filter has even bigger claim to fame since they show a close up of their software and I can actually see John Lennon's ghost in the EQ! Or perhaps they were simply using the tools to balance dialogue in the documentary, rather than on creating and mastering the actual song. Which is a great feat in itself and a testament of good products, but again, maybe not a fair representation of reality.

So. Without more context on what, how, why, when, the thing appears more like a 'interesting' tidbit that you'd post on Facebook, Insta or Twitter. A 'funny' clip that shows how your tools are used here, there and everywhere. Maybe. But without more context and actual receipts, having a mini-headline "Plugin Alliance's Role" (when the context is creation of the track) where all you've got to go with is basically a glorified screenshot...

And then also spam everyone's email with it...

But I digress.

The most important part needs to be said again: Stop trying to divert the attention, PA. Where's the coupons? Where's the deals?

(and just to be on the safe side with everyone, feel free to stick this where appropriate: 😉)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

Smart of Plugin Alliance to capitalize on the making of that song and how their plugins were used. As a huge Beatles fan, it got my attention.  Thanks for sharing,  Larry. 

I had a quick look at the video, and all I noticed was fabfilter pro Q3 ?  Is  Plugin Alliance now advertising for fabfilter? 

So who was it in marketing and sales that decided to label a reworked John Lennon demo as a Beatles tune?
All of them. :)

I think I will go and watch the video and then listen to the actual song with my eyes closed.
The problem is that they set the bar so high that it's hard to compete.
I grew up with the two Beatles compilations in the household, so they are like part of the furniture!

Just now, Technostica said:

So who was it in marketing and sales that decided to label a reworked John Lennon demo as a Beatles tune?

The answer is Yoko. She had the idea and gave the cassette of this song to George Harrison. So I guess that was a full circle turn for her, from breaking the Beatles up to virtually reuniting them for one last time. 

[Ducks for cover.] 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

The answer is Yoko. She had the idea and gave the cassette of this song to George Harrison. So I guess that was a full circle turn for her, from breaking the Beatles up to virtually reuniting them for one last time. 

[Ducks for cover.] 

She could have picked a better song to virtually reunite them.

[Also ducks for cover]

6 minutes ago, husker said:

She could have picked a better song to virtually reunite them.

[Also ducks for cover]

Well, I'm glad we've found some common ground (The Beatles and The Blackhawks). Yeah,  I agree that it's not a great song, but it was the only song left. I still found it a sweet way to wrap up things for what is one of the greatest bands of all time, IMO. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1