[Expired]Cinesamples Indsutry Brass €49

laglag

• laglag changed the title to [Expired]Cinesamples Indsutry Brass €49
1 hour ago, pseudopop said:

Hmm... Industry Brass is part of Musio 1, which I'm planning to get before the end of the year.

I feel like nibbling but I don't think I'm going to bite.

I had it in my cart and was checking out some reviews and then saw your comment. $299 for Musio 1 seems like a better choice considering everything it includes. Almost seems like there's a catch I'm missing..

This would still have been a great buy though!

31 minutes ago, MusicMan said:

I had it in my cart and was checking out some reviews and then saw your comment. $299 for Musio 1 seems like a better choice considering everything it includes. Almost seems like there's a catch I'm missing..

This would still have been a great buy though!

From my recollection, one of the big differences with the Musio libraries vs the KONTAKT libraries is that the Musio platform doesn't have the sophisticated scripting that is part of their KONTAKT library equivalents. Musio libraries also don't have the detail and mic position options of the KONTAKT libraries. In short, Cinesamples positions the KONTAKT versions as upgrades for Musio users.  I think for many home hobbyists, Musio is a very good option. Beyond the question of whether the line will have longevity,  the big question for me is whether I can give up the KONTAKT scripting on a library that makes it so realistic and playable. It really wouldn't matter on a piano or vibraphone library,  but string libraries are a different story.  

On that note, I am hoping for a big BF deal from Cinesamples on Piano in Blue. Nothing out there sounds like it.  It sounds absolutely beautiful to my ears and I've always been in love with the album that inspired it. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

34 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

From my recollection, one of the big differences with the Musio libraries vs the KONTAKT libraries is that the Musio platform doesn't have the sophisticated scripting that is part of their KONTAKT library equivalents. Musio libraries also don't have the detail and mic position options of the KONTAKT libraries. In short, Cinesamples positions the KONTAKT versions as upgrades for Musio users.  I think for many home hobbyists, Musio is a very good option. Beyond the question of whether the line will have longevity,  the big question for me is whether I can give up the KONTAKT scripting on a library that makes it so realistic and playable. It really wouldn't matter on a piano or vibraphone library,  but string libraries are a different story.  

Industrial Brass was released on Musio first. This Kontakt release came later, but I can't say if they added some fancy scripting to it or if it's a 1:1 port. But that's the reason I decided to skip the Kontakt version.

And my understanding is that they are bringing more mic positions and articulations to Musio versions, but like you said their player doesn't support scripting on the same level as Kontakt does. I'm not sure if that means that they are going to sell Kontakt versions as upgrades, though. Do you have any source for that?

It's very difficult to find reliable information about the exact differences between the different versions of the libraries. :/ 

Edited by pseudopop
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, pseudopop said:

Industrial Brass was released on Musio first. This Kontakt release came later, but I can't say if they added some fancy scripting to it or if it's a 1:1 port. But that's the reason I decided to skip the Kontakt version.

And my understanding is that they are bringing more mic positions and articulations to Musio versions, but like you said their player doesn't support scripting on the same level as Kontakt does. I'm not sure if that means that they are going to sell Kontakt versions as upgrades, though. Do you have any source for that?

It's very difficult to find reliable information about the exact differences between the different versions of the libraries. :/ 

I've heard from multiple developers that Mike (I actually forget which Mike stayed and which left) from Cinesamples sees Musio as the entry level to Cinesamples products. They're targeting home hobbyists and students and plan to pitch them upgrades to KONTAKT versions. So the idea is that a Musio version will never be as sophisticated as the KONTAKT version, but it's a lot less expensive. As someone who's just a middle-aged hobbyist, I'd probably mostly be happy with the Musio versions unless scripting was a major factor. Piano in Blue in Musio? Absolutely.  Tina Guo  Legato Cello, I'd opt to upgrade to the KONTAKT version.  

While I didn't hear this directly, I think it makes a lot of sense  strategically and is consistent with Mike's public statements. That said, if Musio were to really do well, I could also see Cinesamples deciding to leave KONTAKT behind and do a pro version of Musio.

One thing is certain,  a lot of KONTAKT developers are exploring options beyond KONTAKT. I think that's a wise strategy, good for the market and good for sample users like us. It brings down prices,  it results in greater innovations, greater choices... Competition is a very good thing. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

Tina Guo  Legato Cello, I'd opt to upgrade to the KONTAKT version

I'm confused by Cinesamples naming practices regarding her libraries.

Tina Guo Complete Library - 99 bucks
- Tina Guo
- Tina Guo vol 2

Tina Guo Acoustic Cello Bundle - 79 bucks
- Tina Guo Acoustic Cello Legato
- Tina Guo vol 2

So Complete bundle isn't complete as it's missing the Cello Legato?

28 minutes ago, Kirean said:

I'm confused by Cinesamples naming practices regarding her libraries.

Tina Guo Complete Library - 99 bucks
- Tina Guo
- Tina Guo vol 2

Tina Guo Acoustic Cello Bundle - 79 bucks
- Tina Guo Acoustic Cello Legato
- Tina Guo vol 2

So Complete bundle isn't complete as it's missing the Cello Legato?

I researched those last year and agree their naming conventions are inconsistent and unclear.  Hey, these developers are small business people. I'm guessing "Tina Guo" and "Tina Guo Acoustic Cello Legato" are the same thing, but don't buy until you know for sure,  of course. I can say this,  every developer I know that talked about that series has praised it as top notch. 

There's only one reason I didn't buy the Tina Guo library and that is, I want a dry cello libraries; I don’t do orchestral music, but rock, singer / songwriter and solo piano accompanied by strings.  If this library was dry, I would have bought it. But if you are good with that wet baked in sound, it's been praised by so many talented developers, I think it's a forgone conclusion,  in my book, that it's a superb library or set of libraries to be more precise. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

56 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

I've heard from multiple developers that Mike (I actually forget which Mike stayed and which left) from Cinesamples sees Musio as the entry level to Cinesamples products. They're targeting home hobbyists and students and plan to pitch them upgrades to KONTAKT versions. So the idea is that a Musio version will never be as sophisticated as the KONTAKT version, but it's a lot less expensive. As someone who's just a middle-aged hobbyist, I'd probably mostly be happy with the Musio versions unless scripting was a major factor. Piano in Blue in Musio? Absolutely.  Tina Guo  Legato Cello, I'd opt to upgrade to the KONTAKT version.  

While I didn't hear this directly, I think it makes a lot of sense  strategically and is consistent with Mike's public statements. That said, if Musio were to really do well, I could also see Cinesamples deciding to leave KONTAKT behind and do a pro version of Musio.

It seems you are correct. I found this on another forum:

We toyed with this idea and decided that the non-pro market that we're really trying to break down the barriers to entry to orchestral writing won't like this approach [...]

Which is further supported by this:

The Kontakt versions of all our products in general provide significantly more "detailed" control over various elements of the samples, while Musio is designed to provide a high-quality sample and keep things streamlined, simplified, and unified across the board as much as possible. We kept it to the essential controls that apply to the most instruments (Dynamics, Expression, Reverb, and some other controls depending on the patch like ADSR and other DSP effects). We wanted to focus on providing a greater breadth and depth of available sounds in one plugin rather than trying to emulate Kontakt's well-established functions that we use in our Kontakt libraries (which we are still selling, so we don't need to mimic them exactly in Musio).

But they have also said this:

I think people will find that - on average - Musio instruments have many improvements over their Kontakt versions. Much of the Cinesamples instruments have gone through an extensive re-editing, re-denoising, re-tuning, re-mapping process.

And there is also this:

There are currently 23 Musio-exclusive collections, including CineStrings Pro, Industry Brass Pro, and Gina Luciani Cinema Flutes, with many more in the works.

So even if the Musio isn't as "pro" as the Kontakt libraries, after my sleuthing I'm pretty sure it's going to be worth the money for me and I'm happy that I didn't buy the Kontakt version of Industrial Brass.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, pseudopop said:

It seems you are correct. I found this on another forum:

Which is further supported by this:

But they have also said this:

And there is also this:

So even if the Musio isn't as "pro" as the Kontakt libraries, after my sleuthing I'm pretty sure it's going to be worth the money for me and I'm happy that I didn't buy the Kontakt version of Industrial Brass.

Maybe I didn't highlight it, but I wrote that the reality is, when a KONTAKT sample developer takes the leap to make their own sampler or player, if it takes off, there's no question that they're going to reassess their relationship with KONTAKT/NI and it makes a lot of sense.

Right now,  two orchestral library devs that have been around a long time, Cinesamples and 8Dio are both doing dramatic price drops and have their own proprietary players out. Cinesamples chose to close their player to third party developers (of course,  that could change) and go with the subscription model initially whereas 8Dio chose to open theirs, SoundPaint, to third parties and make the player free with a bunch of free libraries and perpetual licenses on libraries.

I'd like to see both developers succeed. Because both developers make excellent libraries. I haven't tried Musio,  but if my budget was bigger I might have,  I definitely think Cinesamples makes some wonderful libraries. SoundPaint was free to try and hooked me and is actually the first sampler in 20 or so years where I actually am writing my own programs. So it's taken me from being incredibly KONTAKT centric to know using two go to samplers plus SD3. If Musio took a similar approach,  I think it'd be a no brainer to install and try that too. Who knows where they might take it. What I'm not a fan of is when really small  sample developers who don't have much of a breadth of libraries launch their own proprietary plugin to play their libraries. I own hundreds of sample libraries,  I don't want them to require hundreds of different pluguns to work. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

3 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

I researched those last year and agree their naming conventions are inconsistent and unclear.  Hey, these developers are small business people. I'm guessing "Tina Guo" and "Tina Guo Acoustic Cello Legato" are the same thing, but don't buy until you know for sure,  of course.

I know small dev and all but shouldn't be too hard to write a bare bones but informative copy for the items... (or just add "Bundle X includes everything. Or Bundle Y includes A and B. A is A1 and extra instruments" for clarification. Hell, hit me up with free shill stuff to research and I'll write a few paragraphs for "free".

Anyway. Found this on the other board, so hopefully this one is true:

Acoustic Cello Legato ("vol. 1") is a subset of the original Tina Guo main library, in other words useful if you want the legato from the main lib, but not electrics or erhus.

Vol. 2 is a completely separate product then.

Tina Guo Complete Bundle really means complete, because it includes everything via main library + additional Vol. 2.

Edited by Kirean

9 minutes ago, Kirean said:

I believe (as an owner of the Tina Guo, aka "Artist Series: Tina Guo" library, thinking of picking up Volume 2) the quote you found is correct. 

The bit that made things click for me is in the short descriptions of the products on the Cinesamples site

Tina Guo: "Powerful sound-design tool based off Tina Guo's acoustic/electric cello and erhu"

As indicated, that package includes various articulations for three different instruments (including "Tina Guo Legato" and "Tina Guo Legato (Classic)" for the acoustic cello; the former has a few additional controls).

The 3-instrument package is usually (always?) more expensive than "Acoustic Cello Legato" or "Volume 2"; the description (though not the title) for the latter specifies that it's specifically also acoustic-only: "Expansion of Tina Guo Acoustic Cello Legato". 

The "Acoustic Cello Bundle" combines the two acoustic-only libs, while the "Complete Bundle" combines "Tina Guo" (which is a superset of the "Acoustic Cello Legato", plus other acoustic articulations, plus electric cello and erhu content) and "Volume 2", which adds the additional acoustic cello articulations.

They don't make it easy. But I think that's how it all shakes out. And I can confirm that "Tina Guo" has all three instruments, including legato patches for the acoustic cello.

40 minutes ago, Kirean said:

I know small dev and all but shouldn't be too hard to write a bare bones but informative copy for the items... (or just add "Bundle X includes everything. Or Bundle Y includes A and B. A is A1 and extra instruments" for clarification. Hell, hit me up with free shill stuff to research and I'll write a few paragraphs for "free".

You know, with how confusing it is, I think it would be pretty reasonable of you used chat or whatever they have at their site before you purchase. Just to play it safe. I'm completely certain they'll be happy to help you and maybe, if you let them know that you posted this in a forum and no one was 100% sure of the right answer,  they might modify their naming conventions and product copy to make things easier for other prospective customers. I'd call it a win/win. 

2 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

Maybe I didn't highlight it, but I wrote that the reality is, when a KONTAKT sample developer takes the leap to make their own sampler or player, if it takes off, there's no question that they're going to reassess their relationship with KONTAKT/NI and it makes a lot of sense. [...]

Sorry, I'm not sure what is the point you're trying to make here. I don't think I disagreed with you, but perhaps I said something that you feel contradicted what you wrote earlier?

In any case, when I said that the Musio isn't as pro as Kontakt, I phrased it poorly. I meant to say that "even if the current Musio libraries aren't as good as their Kontakt versions...". It seems that Cinesamples is definitely trying to make the Musio player as good as they can. They certainly have invested a lot of time and effort in it.

BTW, Musio has a 14 day free trial, so you can try Musio if you want to.

21 minutes ago, pseudopop said:

Sorry, I'm not sure what is the point you're trying to make here. I don't think I disagreed with you, but perhaps I said something that you feel contradicted what you wrote earlier?

In any case, when I said that the Musio isn't as pro as Kontakt, I phrased it poorly. I meant to say that "even if the current Musio libraries aren't as good as their Kontakt versions...". It seems that Cinesamples is definitely trying to make the Musio player as good as they can. They certainly have invested a lot of time and effort in it.

BTW, Musio has a 14 day free trial, so you can try Musio if you want to.

No disagreement, I thought you were saying that Cinesamples strategy might have changed and  I was just trying to explain why that might happen and why it's natural,  and even smart, for that to happen (because the business learns as they roll out this new line). And yeah, I forget that this is just a deals section and not a site on strategy! I was just geeking out to be really  candid.  :)

Also, re-reading my post, I'm guessing you might have inferred something I didn't intend. I wasn't correcting you. I was just agreeing with you, but my phrasing was clumsy enough that it could have been misinterpreted as if I was correcting you, I wasn't. You could modify the first sentence to start,

"I absolutely agree that Cinesamples may be doing something today that is different than when they first created their plan, as they should be learning as they go and making adjustments. I can easily see how they could end up completely replacing KONTAKT with Musio in the future and making tiers for their libraries:  a basic level with basic features and lighter weight libraries and an advanced/pro level with every feature presently contained in the KONTAKT libraries. " 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1