import and edit video and audio

Kawika

I would like to import live shows recorded on an iphone and edit the video i.e., cherry pick sections of songs while using my audio plug ins (e.g., compression , eq verb). Anyone know of a good  DAW for that application?

Thanks,

Kawika

+1, you can do the audio work in any DAW, but a video editor makes it simpler to chop the video up, separate audio/video (if you choose), modify the video itself, and re-assemble everything. Although video editors have some audio functionality, they do not have the same capabilities as a DAW. Conversely, a DAW is not going to give you much video editing capability.

If you do not already own a video editor, Humble Bundle still has the Corel sale going on. It is $28.14 to get VideoStudio Pro 2023 (7 items), or $30 to get everything (24 items). I would definitely recommend the rest for that $1.86, since they include Painter and PaintShop Pro.

Edited by mettelus

OK....Video editor not DAW....got it.

Regarding VideoStudio Pro: Will it recognize my 3rd party (e.g., SoundToys) audio plugins that Cakewalk recognizes?

Also, anyone else recommend a Video editor that will allow me to use my 3rd party audio plugins. VideoStudioPro sounds like a great deal....just asking.

thanks

Kawika

Thanks for the info on Davinci Resolve.  I appreciate it and will check it out, now!

By-the-way, I don't mind paying 2-300.00 if need be, for an intuitive easy to learn program.

Really, the only thing I'll be doing video-wise is cutting, moving, and cross-fading. 

Hmmmmm, As I think about, it would be cool to zoom in after-the-fact at the editing stage; though , I don't know if that's possible.

Thanks

Possibly Power Director will do the job to edit the video, but for audio, it only had level & pan IIRC.

I second the motion for DaVinci Resolve, or you could look into Corel/Pinnacle Studio.

But none of the video sleds that I've used are competent at doing anything other that very basic audio manipulation. And this is my job, so...

21 minutes ago, Kawika said:

Hey Thanks. Don't some of the video programs "find" my plug ins (e.g., Sound Toys, Waves etc)?

Nope. Not in my experience, and I've used nearly every sled ever made for the WinTel platform. That's why I only do video in a vid sled, and audio in a DAW. Trust me... been there many times, never been impressed in the converse.

I edit the video as needed in a video sled, export as HD AVI (or Mpg4), import into a DAW, then score to picture. Mix & export audio back to video sled, then post it up to the  director & music coordinator at the movie production house.

OK....this makes sense: " I edit the video as needed in a video sled, export as HD AVI (or Mpg4), import into a DAW, then score to picture. Mix & export audio back to video sled, then post it up to the  director & music coordinator at the movie production house."

My purposes are pretty pedestrian. I am just putting together short, live band vignettes to garner future dates at clubs. Agents and club owners only want to hear shorts.  

So, it seems to me, (1) I could edit my video in a video software program, which in my case is also audio. Then save as MPg4. (2) Then import that video/audio file into Cakewalk to use my audio plug ins. Will Cakewalk accept my edited video? If so, (3) I can then export as a Mpg4 thereby editing both video and audio.

Is that right?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kawika said:

Hmmmmm, As I think about, it would be cool to zoom in after-the-fact at the editing stage; though , I don't know if that's possible.

Basically, you add video FX as you would an audio FX in a DAW... pans/zooms, transitions, etc. Pretty much anything you can envision just gets added to the video and adjusted to taste similar to VST FX in a DAW.

DaVinci Resolve has all of the bells and whistles of any video editor, so you can do things with video you never even thought about before. The Studio version has additional FX and features (primarily the ability to save/export work above 4K), but you want to be totally comfortable with the free version before ever thinking about that upgrade. The concern for someone new with that is it is truly fully functional (i.e., 4140 page manual functional).

The two other editors that came up readily with VST support were Adobe Premiere Pro (which is subscription based, so they would hold your work hostage on you), and Final Cut Pro (which I "think" is Mac only, but not sure).

For what you are asking, you could also do the video work in a simpler editor, and the audio work in a DAW (both will import the video file, but only be able to perform its own task). So that is a "Yes" to what you asked above...

DaVinci Resolve will let you do about anything, and the manual IS readily searchable, which may be the best way to navigate its features for tasks you want to perform. I would try kicking the tires on DaVinci Resolve free first to see how you take to it. It has the same drag/drop functionality you would use in a DAW. You just need to get familiar with the FX browser and Inspector (which lets you adjust the video FX you have in focus). As with CbB, you also need to add the VST scan paths manually in preferences for it to scan/enable them. If not, what you asked above is the "easiest" method to do it... just open/save the same video file in a video editor or DAW and do the work you need to get done for each aspect separately.

Edited by mettelus

12 hours ago, mettelus said:

Basically, you add video FX as you would an audio FX in a DAW... pans/zooms, transitions, etc. Pretty much anything you can envision just gets added to the video and adjusted to taste similar to VST FX in a DAW.

DaVinci Resolve has all of the bells and whistles of any video editor, so you can do things with video you never even thought about before. The Studio version has additional FX and features (primarily the ability to save/export work above 4K), but you want to be totally comfortable with the free version before ever thinking about that upgrade. The concern for someone new with that is it is truly fully functional (i.e., 4140 page manual functional).

The two other editors that came up readily with VST support were Adobe Premiere Pro (which is subscription based, so they would hold your work hostage on you), and Final Cut Pro (which I "think" is Mac only, but not sure).

For what you are asking, you could also do the video work in a simpler editor, and the audio work in a DAW (both will import the video file, but only be able to perform its own task). So that is a "Yes" to what you asked above...

DaVinci Resolve will let you do about anything, and the manual IS readily searchable, which may be the best way to navigate its features for tasks you want to perform. I would try kicking the tires on DaVinci Resolve free first to see how you take to it. It has the same drag/drop functionality you would use in a DAW. You just need to get familiar with the FX browser and Inspector (which lets you adjust the video FX you have in focus). As with CbB, you also need to add the VST scan paths manually in preferences for it to scan/enable them. If not, what you asked above is the "easiest" method to do it... just open/save the same video file in a video editor or DAW and do the work you need to get done for each aspect separately.

Thanks....that all made perfect sense! And, if I were to use a "simple (video) editor" for my relatively basic needs, what would you recommend?

Per    "For what you are asking, you could also do the video work in a simpler editor"

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2023 at 11:21 PM, Kawika said:

Thanks....that all made perfect sense! And, if I were to use a "simple (video) editor" for my relatively basic needs, what would you recommend?

Per    "For what you are asking, you could also do the video work in a simpler editor"

I would still recommend DaVinci Resolve. All the basic functions can be learned in a day of fiddling around and watching a beginners tutorial. It's pretty powerful and free. Just don't get into the Fusion page because that part is scary, with nodes and such. You can do basically anything in the Edit view. There are tons of tutorials (Casey Faris has really good ones).

• Like 1