Windows 7 future Activation? -Will CbB stop activating in the future if I don't update any further than my current version?

KRob

Question

Hello.  I have CbB installed  on two computers, one has Win 10 and is up to date and works perfectly.  Another is an older Win 7 64bit system that has CbB Version2020.01 (build28,64 bit) and continues to work perfectly for me.  I've had this music only computer for a long time and its still works well.  

I have a lot of older software that was originally installed  on the Win 7 system only, that I still want to use .

I'm not going to update this machine to Win 10 due to the older software.

Will the Win 7 version just stop working one day as it wont activate?  Notes  for release 2023.09 say Bandlab assistant will no longer be used to activate the product.

I don't know if there will be an offline activation option for older systems?

I don't require future "support" for the Win 7 machine. Only that it continues to function as is.

I don't care about updates on the Win 7 machine but I'd like to continue to use it without any activation issues. 

Does anyone know if there will be an option made available or a way to keep older systems functioning if updates aren't required?

Hoping someone has some incite

Long time cakewalk supporter and user. Appreciate all the Cakewalk team has done for us all. Much appreciated.

Mark,

Thanks, Yes installing last update for cakewalk on windows 7  this morning is the problem I'm struggling with at the moment, with the activation issue.

The version updated but Cakewalk is  not recognizing the internet to authorize the program? Since Bandlab assistant is no longer working as far as I understand that's of no use.

Seems another user in Japan noted the same issue with 2023.09 on Monday.  Hoping for some direction.

Wondering if there is still an "offline" option if the internet isn't recognized?  Possibly others are having this issue with 2023.09.

I've tried everything i know to do on my end. Hoping someone will have additional insight into a fix so I can use it again soon.

On 11/2/2023 at 11:40 AM, John Vere said:

I keep W7 up to date for what it’s worth. I rarely  enable the internet but when I do there always seems to be an update. I think the updates are just for  software related things like MS Office. 

You don’t use the Bandlab Assistant anymore. You update from the help menu.  

And yes there’s a warning. 

The authorization process has been troublesome for many people and I found you need to be patient. The server seems slow to respond sometimes.  

John, Thanks. Do you mean this post from 11:40 yesterday?

I have rebooted a few times, just did it again.  You think its just a server issue on there end?

I get the error message right after the plugins load and again when I try to activate from the help menu.

The splash screen displays and I can select a project but I can click anything, it jsut locks up, But, it will play the project song with the spacebar but I have to alt close delete to close the program.

Never had any issues until today.

I'll keep trying the reboot process. Hoping that works.

Is activate offline no linger an option?

31 minutes ago, Kevin Roberts said:

Is activate offline no linger an option?

They say "Version 2023.09 currently does not support offline activation"! It sounds as if there will be an offline activation.

I am waiting for offline activation as 2 of my systems are mostly offline! Before that I do not install it even on my laptop that is usually online, because I want to have the same version on all of them!

Thanks Sistine. Guess I'll have to forget about off line activation for now.

I'm wondering if this is an issue with Edge and/or Microsoft Edge WebView2?

I have both installed. Or as John is stating, perhaps its a server issue on their end?

If not, hope to have the offline activation option. 

I cant do anything but play the songs currently. No saving allowed.

So frustrating from a software that has never had 1 issue in all the updates.

This it possible to find and install a recent previous version?  If so how do I find it? Or is that just impossible now that I've updated to 2023.09?

Thanks Sistine. Guess I'll have to forget about off line activation for now.

I'm wondering if this is an issue with Edge and/or Microsoft Edge WebView2?

I have both installed. Or as John is stating, perhaps its a server issue on their end?

If not, hope to have the offline activation option. 

I cant do anything but play the songs currently. No saving allowed.

So frustrating from a software that has never had 1 issue in all the updates.

This it possible to find and install a recent previous version?  If so how do I find it? Or is that just impossible now that I've updated to 2023.09?

Mark

Thank you. I typicly use Chrome and Firefox for browsers. I've Never had edge n this machine until today when I ran the 2023.09 update. It automatically installed it  this morning so I imagined it needed Edge/MS Edge Webview 2 to process the activation?

When I'm in the help tab in Cakewalk it  says "Sign into Bandlab" (which I'm already signed into)

When I use "sign into bandlab" I don't know what browser its viewing when it says "No internet connection?  

I show logged into both  band lab and cakewalk.  Another message pops up saying "sign into your bandlab account and then gives me the same No internet connection message which is not correct.

I'll try logging out of bandlab & cakewalk and logging in with Firefox to those sits but I cant seem to point Cakewalk to any browser. Am I missing something?

Appreciate the suggestion.

14 minutes ago, Kevin Roberts said:

Mark

Thank you. I typicly use Chrome and Firefox for browsers. I've Never had edge n this machine until today when I ran the 2023.09 update. It automatically installed it  this morning so I imagined it needed Edge/MS Edge Webview 2 to process the activation?

When I'm in the help tab in Cakewalk it  says "Sign into Bandlab" (which I'm already signed into)

When I use "sign into bandlab" I don't know what browser its viewing when it says "No internet connection?  

I show logged into both  band lab and cakewalk.  Another message pops up saying "sign into your bandlab account and then gives me the same No internet connection message which is not correct.

I'll try logging out of bandlab & cakewalk and logging in with Firefox to those sits but I cant seem to point Cakewalk to any browser. Am I missing something?

Appreciate the suggestion.

Being logged into BandLab in a browser is completely separate from Cakewalk being logged in to BandLab.

Cakewalk uses a browser to perform the login, then the browser calls back to cakewalk to tell it whether it was successful or not.

In order for Cakewalk to use a browser to sign in, you must have a default browser set up ( here's how you do it in Windows 7: https://youtu.be/fpT6e3CmdAI?si=0R-UE4ixKK0SH9Jl )

Cakewalk tests for internet by pinging the BandLab website.  It doesn't use a browser for this, just standard Windows sockets. If it doesn't get a reply, you'll get the "No Internet Connection" error message.

Firewalls, Anti-virus software etc can interfere with this, so it might be worth switching these off temporarily if you're having issues.

You might also want to ensure that TLS 1.2 is enabled.  This is not enabled in Windows 7 by default. You can enable it yourself by following these instructions:
https://manage.accuwebhosting.com/knowledgebase/3008/How-do-you-enable-TLS-1-2-on-Windows-7.html

• Like 1

Mark thank you for the detailed information.

I did/do have Mozilla set as my default browser as the instructions show. And  I did have a default browser at the time of install this morning.

I did the registry update for TLS 1.2 as described.

Firewall is off.

The hang up seems to be as you describe, when I "Sign in to Bandlab from the help menu in cakewalk, the no internet connection error msg is being returned.

I've tried 3 different browsers today as default and none work. 

I've always updated  with mozilla or chrome in the past without this issue until today.

That was via Bandlab assistant so the new authorization method seems to be the issue for some. 

I did uninstall MS  edge and Webview 2 as the whole system seemed to get unstable when installed today. And worked fine again  once removed.

If MS Edge isn't the "Required" browser to install updates, not sure why the Cakewalk installer forced it on me this time?

What about reinstalling the update over the one currently installed? Does that make any sense?

Or do I have to uninstall cakewalk completely and run the installer again, or is that just a waste of time?

223.09 is installed, just need to figure out the authorization issue.  Hopefully it may help others if a solution can be found.  I know i'm not the only one with this issue. At the same it seems to have worked well for others so not sure how to proceed.

Thank you

Sign into bandlab from help menu.JPG

Firewall  off.JPG

9 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Cakewalk tests for internet by pinging the BandLab website.  It doesn't use a browser for this, just standard Windows sockets. If it doesn't get a reply, you'll get the "No Internet Connection" error message

Just to confirm.  

Is CMD > “ping bandlab.com” and getting the 4 affirmative replies (Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0) with the resolved IP address a good enough test for this?

On 11/4/2023 at 11:44 AM, Kevin Roberts said:

I did uninstall MS  edge and Webview 2 as the whole system seemed to get unstable when installed today. And worked fine again  once removed.

If MS Edge isn't the "Required" browser to install updates, not sure why the Cakewalk installer forced it on me this time?

The Edge WebView2 component is required for Cakewalk activation. (Sorry, this was outdated information.)
If I remember correctly, it's a required component starting with Cakewalk version 2021.01

Edited by HIBI
Due to a change in specifications, Webview2 is no longer used for activation. My apologies if this comment has caused any confusion.

Mark

Thank you for taking the time and effort to make the screen capture.  Very helpful.

I cant do a motion screen capture but I can tell you how it works for me and where it is different with screen shots included attached.

Until this version we've all used Bandlab assistant with no issue. This new update is now without Bandlab assistant so I don't use it.

1. I'm using  Windows 7, with the most up to date version of Firefox set as my default browser (tried it with Chrome and Edge as defaults with the same results). My fire wall is set to off. I have no issues opening or downloading anything from the internet.

2.  I launch Cakewalk from my desktop shortcut.

3. Cakewalk opens and starts loading plugins.

4. The start screen pops up and then  a message box pos up: "Cant reach Internet - The requested service requires an internet connection. Please check you internet connection, or firewall settings, and try again" - I have solid internet connection that functions without issue.

5. I don't get the Bandlab splash screen you show in your screen grab. Thats the difference.  - I do get the pop box stating: "Not Activated - Please sign into your Bandlab account to activate cakewalk"    As long as the Cakewalk program is open this box either stays on the screen or if I close the popup, it will reappear in the corner of my screen  from time to time as long as Cakewalk is open.

Seems to be some issue with the ping process with Bandlab,  as you've described it.

Any other thoughts an something that may need to be enabled or disabled on my end? I've done the TLS 1.2 as described.  I did uninstall  Webview 2 and Edge as the whole machine ran worse after that. Once i uninstalled them, things went back to working smoothly. As long as I need neither of those I don't think that has anything to do with my issue.

I'll try anything anyone thinks will help.

I'm now not going to update Cakewalk on my windows 10 machine for fear of loosing Cakewalk completely. Hoping a fix can be found for this issue. I wanted to be making music, not fighting activation issues.

Really appreciate everyone trying to help.

0 Launch.JPG

1 Start up.JPG

2 Can not reach internet.JPG

3 Not active reminder pop up.JPG

4 Build.JPG

On 11/5/2023 at 3:04 AM, Kevin Roberts said:

I did uninstall  Webview 2

Seems you missed my comment, so I write it again.
The Webview2 component is required for Cakewalk activation.
Sorry, this was outdated information.

Edited by HIBI
Due to a change in specifications, Webview2 is no longer used for activation. My apologies if this comment has caused any confusion.

I begrudgenly upgraded my windows 7 DAW to 10 because I was sure that one day Cakewalk would not install on Windows 7 because of Microsoft and thier OS killing redistributables.  That happened with XP,  when the redist would only run on Vista and above. 

Well that day never came. I could go back to 7 but that would be too painful.

2 hours ago, Kevin Roberts said:

Mark

Thank you for taking the time and effort to make the screen capture.  Very helpful.

I cant do a motion screen capture but I can tell you how it works for me and where it is different with screen shots included attached.

Until this version we've all used Bandlab assistant with no issue. This new update is now without Bandlab assistant so I don't use it.

1. I'm using  Windows 7, with the most up to date version of Firefox set as my default browser (tried it with Chrome and Edge as defaults with the same results). My fire wall is set to off. I have no issues opening or downloading anything from the internet.

2.  I launch Cakewalk from my desktop shortcut.

3. Cakewalk opens and starts loading plugins.

4. The start screen pops up and then  a message box pos up: "Cant reach Internet - The requested service requires an internet connection. Please check you internet connection, or firewall settings, and try again" - I have solid internet connection that functions without issue.

5. I don't get the Bandlab splash screen you show in your screen grab. Thats the difference.  - I do get the pop box stating: "Not Activated - Please sign into your Bandlab account to activate cakewalk"    As long as the Cakewalk program is open this box either stays on the screen or if I close the popup, it will reappear in the corner of my screen  from time to time as long as Cakewalk is open.

Seems to be some issue with the ping process with Bandlab,  as you've described it.

Any other thoughts an something that may need to be enabled or disabled on my end? I've done the TLS 1.2 as described.  I did uninstall  Webview 2 and Edge as the whole machine ran worse after that. Once i uninstalled them, things went back to working smoothly. As long as I need neither of those I don't think that has anything to do with my issue.

I'll try anything anyone thinks will help.

I'm now not going to update Cakewalk on my windows 10 machine for fear of loosing Cakewalk completely. Hoping a fix can be found for this issue. I wanted to be making music, not fighting activation issues.

Really appreciate everyone trying to help.

First of all, BandLab assistant will not work with the new authentication servers.

The only thing you can do is try to work out why Cakewalk can't see the internet.  Something must be blocking it.

Ensure there are no 3rd party firewalls or virus checkers, anti-malware etc blocking Cakewalk.  Double check your firewall rules (even if the firewall is switched off).

Two ideas worth a shot: 

First: 
there’s always that chance that the Bandlab sign in screen is hidden behind or on a second monitor that is not active. Check the task bar or even open Task Manager to see if it’s just hidden. 

Second
For me on one computer I had to wait about 8 minutes for it to finally appear. A few others mentioned this as well  it’s like the server is ignoring the request.  So I just distracted myself playing my guitar while waiting. 

John/Mark/everyone,

Thanks for all the tips.  I tried the following based on the suggestions.

1. I've only ever used  1 monitor on this Win 7 system. I checked, there isn't another one launched.

2. I uninstalled malware bytes. Turned off windows defender.

3.  Firewall has been off. I double checked my firewall rules, see attachments. To me they appear to allow inbound and outbound traffic. (I have no idea what "IPsec" settings are or if they are important?) Please let me know if anyone sees anything odd in the rules.

4. Turned of windows defender, didn't even remember it was there after all these years. Didn't make a difference.

5.  I tried Johns suggestion of leaving the start up on for an extended time.  I left cakewalk open overnight after the No internet message was displayed at start up.  Nothing happened. it never connected. 

6. The " Not activated" message keeps popping up every few minutes, even if I close it. Not sure if that means its continuing to ping the system?

Unless someone has any other connection suggestions I don't know what else to try other than a reinstall? Maybe it would set up something it missed or is relevant to the authorization? I', showing  2023.09 installed so maybe this isn't necessary?

*** Should I just run the 2023.09 installer again over the current install  or uninstall completely and run again?   What is the best way to uninstall to assure its completely clear. (How to clear the registry etc)?

- Would appreciate anyone's advise that's done this before.

I really want to get this working again. I tried out Reaper and don't really like the sound and feel of it, though it was some nice features.

I really miss how great Cakewalk really is... was.

Appreciate everyone's patience and assistance.

Firewall 1.JPG

Firewall 2.JPG

Firewall 3.JPG

Firewall 4.JPG

Firewall 5.JPG

Firewall Inbound.JPG

Firewall Outbound.JPG

3 Not active reminder pop up.JPG