Reaper updated to 7.02

BTP

REAPER 7.02 is available, with the following updates:
  + Actions: fix behavior of action to paste at mouse position when mouse is over track spacer [t=284042]
  + Accessibility: fix API issue with MIDI editor last_clicked_cc_lane
  + Color theme: rename 'Inactive take overlay color/mode' to 'Inactive take/lane overlay color/mode' to clarify that these elements affect inactive fixed lanes (lanes that are not playing)
  + Comp areas: fix action to create comp area at mouse when track is not selected [p=2725233]
  + Comp areas: fix behavior when deleting edge between two adjacent comp areas [p=2723290]
  + Comp areas: fix left-click mouse modifiers to set loop points to comp area [p=2723284]
  + Comp areas: fix resync button display when track is small or unsynced items are overlapping
  + Comp areas: handle re-comping media items that are fully faded in or faded out [p=2725217]
  + Comp areas: respect project item locking when editing comp areas
  + Comp areas: respect track grouping when re-syncing media items [p=2724215]
  + Comp areas: when resyncing all edited media items, consolidate overlapping items
  + Comp areas: when resyncing individual media items, do not resync overlapping items
  + Comping: update comp areas after replacing media [p=2724687]
  + FX: fix crash when single-FX-chain mode enabled and dragging FX from chain to nowhere [t=283777]
  + Grouping: improve behavior of dual edge editing when media items are grouped [t=283998]
  + JSFX: add options: prealloc=* or prealloc=size, useful if a plug-in wants to force memory to be allocated at compile-time
  + JSFX: fix bug with top channel in channel_mapper [t=283773]
  + JSFX: improve watch window filtering, allowing both REAPER filter logic plus expressions such as refs=1 or value>1 etc
  + JSFX: do not set image dirty when using gfx_measurestr/etc
  + Lanes: add lane collapse button right-click menu item to disable/re-enable fixed lanes
  + Lanes: add track setting to show/hide lane buttons (right-click or alt-click lane collapse button)
  + Lanes: allow clicking above or below lane button to initiate dragging/reordering lanes without changing lane play state [p=2725245]
  + Lanes: display razor edit comp area control differently when clicking would re-sync rather than comping
  + Lanes: enable option to record into first available lane even when layering lanes [t=283867]
  + Lanes: handle section/reversed media properly when comping [t=283957]
  + Lanes: improve display of lane names in lane button menu
  + Lanes: improve display of overlapping media items when a fixed lane track is taken out of fixed lane view [p=2723489]
  + Lanes: improve lane area display and mouse interaction with non-100% layouts
  + Lanes: improve shift+click selection behavior on fixed lane tracks
  + Lanes: respect setting to record into the first available lane when recording multiple loops into an empty track [p=2724969]
  + Lanes: when 'record into first available lane' is enabled, skip comping lanes if any
  + Lanes: when disabling comping, handle special case where a 2nd empty lane is displayed and autoremove lanes is enabled [p=2725237]
  + Lanes: when showing only one lane, support switching to any other lane via lane button right-click menu
  + macOS: fix file extension when exporting mouse modifiers as ReaScript
  + macOS: fix Sonoma routing window combo box bugs [t=283872]
  + Media items: actions to set item colors also clear any per-take colors [p=2723344]
  + Media items: display tiny items on collapsed folder tracks when item selection indicator is enabled
  + Media items: hide item selection indicator when track height is small
  + Metadata: do not discard currently-being-edited metadata when the user clicks away [t=284012]
  + MIDI: fix export timing issues [t=283898]
  + MIDI: increase retroactive recording history size from 128KB to 1MB
  + MIDI: when option enabled to set channel for new events when clicking a note, ensure the new channel passes the MIDI filter [p=2723907]
  + MIDI editor: fix inconsistent text colors of CC lane description
  + MIDI hardware: better support user-generated reaper-midihw.ini files with whitespace around equal signs [p=2721555]
  + Mixer: fix embed FX layout bugs [p=2723714]
  + Preferences: fix changing media item background/peaks display color when theme does not override [p=2725825]
  + Preferences: support setting track lane buttons hidden by default
  + Razor edits: support relative snap [t=283820]
  + Razor edits: if snapping to grid at any distance, also snap to the original, unsnapped position
  + Razor edits: remove razor edit areas when hiding envelopes [t=284003]
  + ReaComp: fix reset of RMS size via doubleclick [p=2723224]
  + ReaLimit: fix 1-pixel incorrect drawing error on odd embedded-UI widths
  + ReaScript: fix GetSetMediaTrackInfo("C_LANEPLAYS:N") when setting value [p=2724132]
  + ReaScript: fix setting media item bottom half mouse modifiers from API
  + ReaScript: GetThingFromPoint() returns 'spacer_N' for spacer before track N
  + ReaScript: do not set image dirty when using gfx.measurestr/etc
  + ReaScript: fix gfx.circle rounding [t=284033]
  + Super8: improve performance when starting recording on multiple channels simultaneously
  + Super8: use new prealloc feature for improved initial realtime performance
  + Theme: inline editor and item hidpi fixes, MCP indenting fixes
  + Toolbars: add preference to disable all toolbar animations
  + Track panels: refresh when setting/changing MIDI hardware outputs in various contexts [t=280959]
  + Track reordering: improve folder behavior when dragging over a track that has envelopes visible
  + Track reordering: make folder-creation drag/drop behavior closer to that of 6.81
  + Tracks: if inserting a track at the end of the project and the last track is a folder with hidden collapsed children, add the track outside the folder
  + Track spacers: fix various behaviors when spacer size is customized
  + Track spacers: improve behavior when manually adjusting height of track that is displaying big lanes and track spacer height has been customized to a large value [p=2724027]
  + Virtual MIDI Keyboard: show all available keyboard assignments [t=283801]
  + Windows: fix RAM use metering on Windows 11 [t=284006]

https://www.reaper.fm/download.php

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Clint Martin said:

@Bapu I'm curious about Reaper. I downloaded it a couple of times but never gave it a fair try. How well do you think it stacks up against the others. It would seem like a good time to jump in if one was inclined to.

It is super flexible and tweakable if you are into customization. Very stable and reliable platform, great community. Watch some videos by Kenny Gioia to see what teaching infrastructure is available for newbies. It's my second DAW . S1 guy here. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Clint Martin said:

@Bapu I'm curious about Reaper. I downloaded it a couple of times but never gave it a fair try. How well do you think it stacks up against the others. It would seem like a good time to jump in if one was inclined to.

14 minutes ago, ralfrobert said:

It is super flexible and tweakable if you are into customization. Very stable and reliable platform, great community. Watch some videos by Kenny Gioia to see what teaching infrastructure is available for newbies. It's my second DAW . S1 guy here. 

With the SWS Reaper Extension (Donation Ware) Reaper becomes even better. User created themes abound to start you down the path of grasping customizations.

The thing to remember about Reaper is, a track is anything you want it to be; a bus, a folder, midi, audio etc. If you want to get a sense of that concept, download the Reaper trial, install  REAPER (with ReaCWP) and then simply open a CbB song in Reaper. Study how your buses are handled etc. Granted the default UI may seem "toyish" as some have called it, but what I'm suggesting here is to get a hold of the "a track is anything you want it to be" concept.

Also, the ReaCWP plugin did a damn fine job of converting quite a few SPlat projects for me. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Clint Martin said:

I don't prefer everything in Reaper, but it has a lot of very strong features! Just some things I like:

1. Simple authorization that works without issues (you get an authorization file that can be used totally offline)
  2. Portable installation (=install into a single folder, even on an usb drive)
  3. Installation/update of a new version goes just some seconds!!! (installation size about 210 MB only, installer is about 15 MB only)
  4. The fastest plugin rescan (for new ones) that I know!
  5. Great export functionality (like Sonar or even better)
  6. Extensive batch functionality (conversions, plugin chains ....)
  7. Super stable and fast, also with plugins
  8. Excellent time stretching and audio quantizing functionality
  9. There's almost nothing (that other daws can do) you can't do with it
  10. ....
  • Great Idea 2

20 hours ago, Clint Martin said:

I don't believe any other DAW can match its performance.  I've had one crash in six years, and that was because of a faulty plugin. 

• Like 2

I used Cakewalk products for over 20 years, and like you I downloaded Reaper a few times, but it didn't take, until I finally realized I had to forget how I did things in Sonar, and really learn how to use Reaper.  If you want to feel at home, download the Echolot Theme that makes Reaper look like Cakewalk:

Reaper - Echolot Theme.PNG

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 2

1 hour ago, Zolton said:

If you go a similar route (as I've done; I only used Cakewalk since 2020, but have been testing out Reaper for a few months), the Echolot_FTC mod is even a little slicker, I think:

https://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=2546076

That's very cool. Lately I've been enjoying the new ReaperTips Theme:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=281644

NkBEcm8.thumb.png.06f71250f233b0bfb6ed5593bf233db7.png

• Like 2

In some older themes I used to be able to get the whole mixer channel to be a single colour. None of the new ones do this and only have a splash of colour at top of fader. I find it much easier on tired eyes to differentiate tracks if they’re one colour for the whole height.
Why is it so difficult now to modify and customise a theme?