Oh, great! Does this mean I have to grow a beard and a poney tail, wear thick glasses, sandals, and tye dye shirts, and smoke weed now?

Rain

I remember, that yeah.

I say I don't like prog, but there are lots of exceptions - I like some King Crimson, and Harmonium from back home, whom I remember you being familiar with. A few Jethro Tull songs. But it's more of an occasional thing.

I remember sometimes playing one or two Gentle Giant numbers that I liked early in the evening when I was DJ'ing (we had a very diverse clientele), but these prog guys would get really excited and start bringing Van der Graaf Generator and Tangerine Dream tapes, asking me to play stuff that would have cleared the place... You had to be careful with them.

Same with the Iron Maiden crowd, albeit in a different register.

But I guess it's not all black or white. I'm a huge fan of Voivod, Opeth, and Tool, and apparently they're considered prog by some people. For me Tool is Tool, I don't really think in terms of genre.

Edited by Rain

19 minutes ago, craigb said:

Never heard anyone consider Tangerine Dream prog before!

(I only have over 160 TD albums... 😁)

I guess me neither - but for some reason they seemed to appeal to the same bunch of fellows. As did Kraftwerk.

On 10/18/2023 at 12:41 PM, Rain said:

One band that I keep trying to figure out is The Who. However, while I could still objectively appreciate Rush and I never thought of them as overrated even if I didn't like them, I find such a thing to be impossible with The Who.

That's what I've always tried with Van Halen, AC/DC, and the Beatles.

I know that this is great Bands, but I don't like their music.

The bass player and the drummer of the Who have been phenomenal.

Edited by Pragi

1 hour ago, Pragi said:

The bass player and the drummer of the Who have been dead for quite a while now.

Fyxed! 😁

Actually, I look at this very simply:  You have two aspects that tend to get confused here, the first is how much an individual likes a band's music and the other is how well a band's music is marketed so that the brainwashed sheep think they should like the music and buy it.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Pragi said:

Sad "news".😢

I literally had tickets to see the Who for the first time ever at the Irvine Meadows Amphitheater (which was very close for me since I also lived in Irvine California at the time).  The DAY BEFORE the event was supposed to happen is when Entwhistle passed away!  *Sigh...* 😕

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Pragi said:

The bass player and the drummer of the Who have been phenomenal.

This I cannot and would not argue with.  

I've been thinking about it for some time while I was trying to figure out what it was with The Who that didn't sit right with me. And one element is that I'm not much of a fan of drums as a lead instrument - that type of hyperactive drumming. Mitch Mitchell did it with Hendrix and I've never been a fan, but Jimi's playing and his music seem to make it easier for me to ignore, something that's not happening with The Who most of the time.

But it's what they set out to accomplish and they succeed, so for anyone who can appreciate it, it has to be fantastic. 

Edited by Rain
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Rain said:

And one element is that I'm not much of a fan of drums as a lead instrument - that type of hyperactive drumming. Mitch Mitchell did it with Hendrix and I've never been a fan, but Jimi's playing and his music seem to make it easier for me to ignore, something that's not happening with The Who most of the time.

Your points on the Who's drummer are easily understood by me.

Moony has been well known for his wild drum style; he was well known as a drummer who has never practiced.

On the other hand, Bonham did also play very dominantly and loudly and is eventually the best rock drummer ever.

If the Who would  not have released Quadrophenia, I would more agree with you,but most songs of Qdph are very band-focused.

As a teenager, I  fall in love with this very emotional album.

Discussions about the quality of "the Ox (Entwistle) are impossible imo.

The band history with the Mods is also a big point for them.

What's crucial is whether or not you appreciate the band's music or even not.

I don't like the music of Van Halen, AC/DC, and the Beatles, but I know most of them are good musicians.

Edited by Pragi
  • Like 1

"Oh, great! Does this mean I have to grow a beard and a poney tail, wear thick glasses, sandals, and tye dye shirts, and smoke weed now? "

I read your opening post and musically it seems you have high standards and you have kept an open ear to music ...

As far as growing a beard and all that Jazz . Wait until your in your 60's . It wouldn't be fair to all us old folks if you showed up and took all the womenz away from us .

😄

Kenny

• Haha 2