Phantom Power issue-maybe?

Pathfinder

So, I bought a Warm Audio WA-87r2. I am still (for now) usin he Scarlett 18i20 3rd Gen AI. 
I understand this is the consensus, I guess:
Quote from Google search:Any dynamic microphone with a low impedance balanced output, like the SM58, is not affected by phantom power. Phantom Power will not damage a professional dynamic microphone.

The Focusrite does NOT allow choosing PP on individual mic pre's It's 1-4 or 5 thru 8. I have an SM58 beta using input 4 (which of course actually is 1/2 of the stereo of 3&4.

I guess this was to save $$$. 
So, is there ANY CHANCE that the PP being ON on the 58beta will harm\change\affect whatever the mic or\and sound? I use the 58 for vocals in my my small home studio when writing or learning a song. TheCM5 or WA87r2 are for recording only.

Thanks

They say it doesn't affect or hurt most XLR dynamic mics, but I've had mixers that most certainly did.  Not so much damage but distort the sound.

I even spoke to someone about it years ago but was met with disbelief.  It all comes down to how well the mixer - or mic - is wired/isolated from such things.

Majority of mixers have PP globally or in groups of 4 to save money &/or space.  IMO good ones have individual channel PP.  My current mixer has global but I rarely use condensers with dynamics at the same time.  It has other issues like serious channel bleeding crosstalk the maker says is "normal".  O.o No doubt because of more cost saving measures.

OTOH Ribbon mics could be damaged.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

The important thing is to make sure you only switch PP on/off when the mic is connected via it's XLR.

If you try "hot swapping" it you could fry the mic's internals.

This!

Over the years   I have fried 3 mixer pre amps due to Phantom being on and plugging stuff in or out. 
You can also damage speakers.  

So I have always avoided it like the plague. 

I don’t own any studio gear that needs it. I avoid it. I use all dynamic mikes. Even my DI boxes have batteries or wall warts. I also have a few condenser mikes that use batteries. 

But there’s still a million times working in bands etc that the Phantom power was on and at least with The household brands like Shure, AKG and Sennheiser I’ve never had a damaged dynamic mike. 

Best practices is turn it off at all times until needed. Connect everything mute the channels, the master and auxiliary’s and then turn it on.  inputs that give you a choice of say 4 in a group only plug in XLR equipment. Don’t use the 1/4” inputs of that group.  
If your only choice is global for all channels I would not ever use that board with it on unless you are extra extra careful. 

• Like 1

Well this just reinforces for me that It's time to use the Roland Octa-capture which has SEPARATE PP for each channel. The 18i20 has banks of 4 on or off.

So, I guess I could use the Original edition Warm Audio WA-12 Mic Pre (presently doing nothing but siting in the box) for the new WA87r2. That would eliminate having to use PP at all on the Fousrite. 

9 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

Well this just reinforces for me that It's time to use the Roland Octa-capture which has SEPARATE PP for each channel. The 18i20 has banks of 4 on or off.

So, I guess I could use the Original edition Warm Audio WA-12 Mic Pre (presently doing nothing but siting in the box) for the new WA87r2. That would eliminate having to use PP at all on the Fousrite. 

Yes for sure I would certainly use it. And yes then you don't need phantom from the interface when using a dedicated Pre Amp. If the Octa capture has line inputs then you are set. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John Vere said:

Yes for sure I would certainly use it. And yes then you don't need phantom from the interface when using a dedicated Pre Amp. If the Octa capture has line inputs then you are set. 

The warm audio WA12 MicPre actually has trs out and xlr out and both can even be used at the same time. So that parts easy. 

Guess it's time to try the Octa Capture 10\10 and stop talking about it. I may run into the same issues I have with the 18i20 3rd gen, who knows. Won't know until I try.

Thanks