Great freebie from Bluelab Audio. (Noise reduction VST)

Clint Martin

• Clint Martin changed the title to Great freebie from Bluelab Audio.

Anyone else try this? I have a cheap bass which plays great and has a great tone but it also has a constant low buzz or hum. This plugin removed it with ease and left a very natural clean sounding bass! I’m impressed. I thought I may have to buy the Acon Digital restoration suite to fix it which is $99. Free is cheaper!

• Like 1

Nice reminder Clint!

Blue Labs had some interesting plugs.
2+ years ago they announced that they had discontinued the development of their products and that the plugins were now available for free. 
Although their website now appears to have been taken over by parties unknown, possibly by malware according to BitDefender, you can get the whole suite by way of the WayBack archive web site:

https://web.archive.org/web/20211120133206/https://bluelab-plugs.com/
image.png.52f19da559461359ac0b162ca486b704.png

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Clint Martin changed the title to Great freebie from Bluelab Audio. (Noise reduction VST)

Man, I hate seeing talented devs go under. It actually compelled me to advise a bunch of small devs at no cost in return for them giving free NFRs to low income musicians (something I didn’t publicly share back then because I was already too busy with paid work and didn’t want everyone calling me).  It's tough for indie devs to make it,  even if they're really talented,  they need to know how to successfully run a business and its rare for one person to be great at both things.  

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

Man, I hate seeing talented devs go under. It actually compelled me to advise a bunch of small devs at no cost in return for them giving free NFRs to low income musicians (something I didn’t publicly share back then because I was already too busy with paid work).  It's tough for indie devs to make it,  even if they're really talented,  they need to know how to successfully run a business and its rare for one person to be great at both things.  

Yeah, like musicians trying to do all the jobs a major label does after first creating their' art?

Now we don't need them, huh?

31 minutes ago, Keni said:

Yeah, like musicians trying to do all the jobs a major label does after first creating their' art?

Now we don't need them, huh?

Yep. I don't envy young musicians these days. Twenty years ago it was much easier to make it whether or not you were on a major label. These days people aren't buying CDs, you need huge volume of streams to make decent money. If your music doesn't appeal to a wide audience you're going to have a very hard time making a living from music. While my mother was a musician who encouraged me to be a professional musician, even though I am madly in love with music, I'm glad that my kids aren't pursuing music for a living, the odds are incredibly tough for anyone who isn't a child star the labels want to back. 

Whereas the reality a lot of indie developers face is to have to do a deal with the devil AKA influencers to shill their products to get noticed. Advertising alone doesn't cut it, so you are really forced into having to deal with the industry of professional and semi-professional shills in order to get your product the attention it takes to be successful. Folks here who haven't seen all of my posts might be surprised that even with my disappointment with influencer marketing, I just recommended to a developer to use influencers last week. Why? They reach an audience and have a level of influence over their followers that you just can't attain as inexpensively or as quickly through traditional online advertising and promotions.  Throwing free products and cash at someone with millions, or at least thousands (which is the way this industry works), of followers who see them as authoritative aspirational figures is unquestionably the cheapest, quickest way to sales growth in this industry -- and most other industries.  And back to your comparison with musicians and record labels, in that business, it's all about list curators and synchronization these days (like getting your songs in ads, placed in tv, movies and games). There's not a lot of opportunity in radio and the audience is largely boomers, and even they're not paying for music these days. In fact the last study I found, only, less than 15% of Boomers even pay for a music streaming service.  So if you don't have big backing behind you and your music doesn't have wide appeal, there's little chance to become a successful new music artist these days short of playing live shows -- and even those opportunities are limited. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

Yep. I don't envy young musicians these days. Twenty years ago it was much easier to make it whether or not you were on a major label. These days people aren't buying CDs, you need huge volume of streams to make decent money. If your music doesn't appeal to a wide audience you're going to have a very hard time making a living from music. While my mother was a musician who encouraged me to be a professional musician, even though I am madly in love with music, I'm glad that my kids aren't pursuing music for a living, the odds are incredibly tough for anyone who isn't a child star the labels want to back. 

Whereas the reality a lot of indie developers face is to have to do a deal with the devil AKA influencers to shill their products to get noticed. Advertising alone doesn't cut it, so you are really forced into having to deal with the industry of professional and semi-professional shills in order to get your product the attention it takes to be successful. Folks here who haven't seen all of my posts might be surprised that even with my disappointment with influencer marketing, I just recommended to a developer to use influencers last week. Why? They reach an audience and have a level of influence over their followers that you just can't attain as inexpensively or as quickly through traditional online advertising and promotions.  Throwing free products and cash at someone with millions, or at least thousands (which is the way this industry works), of followers who see them as authoritative aspirational figures is unquestionably the cheapest, quickest way to sales growth in this industry -- and most other industries.  And back to your comparison with musicians and record labels, in that business, it's all about list curators and synchronization these days (like getting your songs in ads, placed in tv, movies and games). There's not a lot of opportunity in radio and the audience is largely boomers, and even they're not paying for music these days. In fact the last study I found, only, less than 15% of Boomers even pay for a music streaming service.  So if you don't have big backing behind you and your music doesn't have wide appeal, there's little chance to become a successful new music artist these days short of playing live shows -- and even those opportunities are limited. 

Well stated.

It was difficult back then. My Dad always reminded me how few succeed though he fully supported me. He suggested I keep it a hobby... which I never could.

Most of my life I made money making commercials as well as albums. Getting connected with Ad houses, A&R personnel, commercial producers and maintaining them was the game. Now they use 3rd party screening being too overwhelmed with the sheer number of people applying for such. Now you have to pay for each submission and get passed the screeners before a producer even hears what you have to offer. 🙂 If you’re lucky!

The incredible increase in population changed things big time.

World population essentially tripled from 1950 to 2000!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Keni said:

Well stated.

It was difficult back then. My Dad always reminded me how few succeed though he fully supported me. He suggested I keep it a hobby... which I never could.

Most of my life I made money making commercials as well as albums. Getting connected with Ad houses, A&R personnel, commercial producers and maintaining them was the game. Now they use 3rd party screening being too overwhelmed with the sheer number of people applying for such. Now you have to pay for each submission and get passed the screeners before a producer even hears what you have to offer. 🙂 If you’re lucky!

The incredible increase in population changed things big time.

World population essentially tripled from 1950 to 2000!

I wouldn't attribute the change to the population, but to technology. A larger world population would actually translate into increased sales revenue if all other things were equal, not less. The change that led us to this situation is technology what strategists call digital disruption, in this case. First, it was Napster, then Apple (iTunes) then Spotify, etc. that caused the public to transition from buying physical product  like CDs to either buying or pirating digital product online. I knew the head of marketing for Napster back in the 00s, just after they changed their model from piracy to paid MP3s, and we had some interesting chats that probably would have made for a good book.

So the public (that wasn't engaged in piracy) went from paying for physical product to paying for digital product to streaming services (of course, there are small numbers of Boomers and Gen X that still will buy CDs, but it's a very small percentage of the total market and most households (over 60%) in the US do pay a monthly subscription fee to a music streaming service. But that revenue model really only provides enough to make a good living on if your music gets a very very high number of streams. I know someone through a friend who had a hit I loved in the 80s and a lot of us here might recognize it, but he doesn't make enough annually to buy a used economy car from his streaming royalties and is a director with Meta today, handling music. But that's the reality. The streaming model only creates significant revenue for artists with a very high volume of plays. So it's extremely difficult for an artist that doesn't have mass appeal to make it in the current world beyond working their tails off doing live shows. Whereas a couple of decades ago or more, artists made most of their money from record sales and toured to promote record sales. Today, most artists make the majority of their income from live shows and I love live music and that was what I did back when. But it makes it extremely difficult for the next very creative non-commercial artist to make a living from music. It's not an environment where you could see the next Jimi Hendrix, Beatles, Radiohead, etc. succeeding and I wish that wasn't the case. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PavlovsCat said:

I wouldn't attribute the change to the population, but to technology. A larger world population would actually translate into increased sales revenue if all other things were equal, not less. The change that led us to this situation is technology what strategists call digital disruption, in this case. First, it was Napster, then Apple (iTunes) then Spotify, etc. that caused the public to transition from buying physical product  like CDs to either buying or pirating digital product online. I knew the head of marketing for Napster back in the 00s, just after they changed their model from piracy to paid MP3s, and we had some interesting chats that probably would have made for a good book.

So the public (that wasn't engaged in piracy) went from paying for physical product to paying for digital product to streaming services (of course, there are small numbers of Boomers and Gen X that still will buy CDs, but it's a very small percentage of the total market and most households (over 60%) in the US do pay a monthly subscription fee to a music streaming service. But that revenue model really only provides enough to make a good living on if your music gets a very very high number of streams. I know someone through a friend who had a hit I loved in the 80s and a lot of us here might recognize it, but he doesn't make enough annually to buy a used economy car from his streaming royalties and is a director with Meta today, handling music. But that's the reality. The streaming model only creates significant revenue for artists with a very high volume of plays. So it's extremely difficult for an artist that doesn't have mass appeal to make it in the current world beyond working their tails off doing live shows. Whereas a couple of decades ago or more, artists made most of their money from record sales and toured to promote record sales. Today, most artists make the majority of their income from live shows and I love live music and that was what I did back when. But it makes it extremely difficult for the next very creative non-commercial artist to make a living from music. It's not an environment where you could see the next Jimi Hendrix, Beatles, Radiohead, etc. succeeding and I wish that wasn't the case. 

Absolutely! The technology is another major player in the shifting landscape.... Neither by itself would have been half as effective!

So as with all things (everything changes) we adapt or perish. Luckily for me either option is just fine as I'm retired anyway!

• Like 1

Just got to check this out, and being a plugin this has another advantage over editing suites in that you can use it and leave it enabled while tracking. Although it will still embed that noise into the recorded audio, it alleviates all of the distraction issues while tracking. This is definitely something worth having in one's toolbox. The 64-bit version from the OP has a much better resolution in the spectrogram than in that video teaser. This is also why I harp to some folks on pre/post rolls while tracking with non-optimal setups... without that background noise totally exposed, it is incredibly difficult to address in post production.

Edited by mettelus
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Keni said:

Absolutely! The technology is another major player in the shifting landscape.... Neither by itself would have been half as effective!

So as with all things (everything changes) we adapt or perish. Luckily for me either option is just fine as I'm retired anyway!

A heck of a lot of us in this group are middle aged. It especially strikes me that when someone doesn't post for a week there seems to be an assumption that they died. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

A heck of a lot of us in this group are middle aged. It especially strikes me that when someone doesn't post for a week there seems to be an assumption that they died. 

Especially for those of us long passed middle aged...

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

Maybe that's why most of this group is so dang friendly? Maturity.  Not like those mouthy whiper snapers at some other forums! ;)

I guess that might be true. Maturity might be a word to describe it. I’m thinking patience. Something I never had before. That and experience. Working with the Cakewalk team since Greg H days has also developed a level of trust and understanding beyond the spoken words. It’s a level of honesty and commitment I feel in the words of the Bakers!

I want to believe!

🙏👽🎸🎶

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Keni said:

I guess that might be true. Maturity might be a word to describe it. I’m thinking patience. Something I never had before. That and experience. Working with the Cakewalk team since Greg H days has also developed a level of trust and understanding beyond the spoken words. It’s a level of honesty and commitment I feel in the words of the Bakers!

I want to believe!

🙏👽🎸🎶

I have tons of experience,  but I don't have patience! The older I get the less I have (maybe it's the sense that I have less time left to get things done!). 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

I have tons of experience,  but I don't have patience! The older I get the less I have (maybe it's the sense that I have less time left to get things done!). 

I’m finding patience is a learned skill. I must first decide to be willing to be patient and that was/is the hardest part.

I work very hard in a continuing effort to think before I act. At the most minute level. Far from always able, but more so, the more I make the conscious decision.

It's funny but this always brings to mind a "game" I often play and suggest to others.

Exactly what position was I in when I woke. Down to the minute again. Not just, on my back, side, or such, but where was each hand and which way was my head facing etc.. No matter how close I come, I find yet another smaller level of uncertainty and the challenge continues. This is an approach I use to help train myself to be more aware and more quickly. Translating that into actions makes me a much more calm person than before.

Not that I’m good at it as I also suffer the impatience of the elders being tired of the repeated beatings we each must weather to survive...

...but I/we digress here. No matter what we each feel or say regarding Sonar, only time will tell the story. 

I am anxious to begin working with the new Sonar having no idea how I will find the cash, I intend to purchase it immediately.

It's funny, but I'll feel better working with a paid DAW than I do with the free version of same. There is no real security, but reality has a way of manipulating dreams.

I am releasing my 14th solo album this November. The last 11 have all been created entirely in Cakewalk/Pro Audio/Sonar/CbB and I am well underway on my 15th as we chat. Just remembered... back 12 albums. It was made using Cakewalk as a sequencer in sync with a Soundscape Hard Disk Recording System (defunct but I worked for the British company back then in the early 90’s)

• Like 3